Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be grumpy with DH about this.

(7 Posts)
cashewnutty Tue 19-May-15 18:48:03

I generally work back shift on a Thursday 12-8 but often go in at 11 and i can get away a bit earlier if nothing is needing done but that is unusual. I work 30 minutes away by car from home.

DH generally works long hours and is 1hr 30 minutes from home by car and train. He can get earlier home by planning his diary and making sure he leaves his office on time.

Today DD2 (age 17) is going to something education related but not in school. It starts at 8 and she needs to be there at around 7.30/40. We live about 3 miles away from this place. Takes 10 minutes by car. No public transport.

Last night DH promised he would leave sharp to make sure he was home by around 7 to take her to this event other wise she would have had to get a taxi. She needs to get a taxi home on a Tuesday and i didn't want her paying for one twice.

At ten past 6 i got a text saying he was running for a train. I know that this means the 6.15 train which gets in at 7.30 and then he would be home by 7.45. Too late for DD.

As it happens i was able to leave work early, however DH did not know that was at all possible.

AIBU to be in a grump about this even though i am here to take DD to her event? This happens all the time. I am left to make sure she gets places on time. I cannot ever rely on him being here when he promises he will be.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Tue 19-May-15 18:51:17

Makes me cross, too: DH leaving 15 minutes late on a Friday means I have to take all the children to collect #2 from school @1630 3 miles away, which throws teatime as they then have piano at 1730 ...

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Tue 19-May-15 18:51:48

And I get a text too late to change plans for tea.

attheendoftheday Tue 19-May-15 18:52:43

I would be texting back to ask how he's going to sort the lift issue. I would also be grumpy. How about he pays for the taxi needed because if his mistake rather than you leaving work?

FastWindow Tue 19-May-15 18:55:20

It's called 'womanwork' and it's the Dad equivalent of doing the dishes badly.

I've got so sick of being the one packing the change bag with relevant items or making sure the kids are dressed in appropriate clothing that I've abdicated responsibility. Funny enough, it's worked 95% of the time, but it took a couple of months of steeling myself to some fuck ups.

cashewnutty Tue 19-May-15 18:56:00

If i hadn't come home he would have paid for a taxi no problem - BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT!!! Just wanted a little rant so i don't come over all snarky when he gets in.

cashewnutty Tue 19-May-15 18:57:00

DD sits her driving test in July and if she passes she can drive herself to everything so she doesn't have to rely on us. It will be bliss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now