Neighbor should not attach stuff to my guarage without even asking me

(10 Posts)
agentEgypt Tue 19-May-15 18:40:14

I've just come back home to find the neighbor has put a new fence panel up. Instead of cementing it into the ground hes screwed it to the side of my garage. Also he's put in some electrical wiring in and nailed it to my garage.

AIBU to think you don't attach something to someone else s property without asking?

Sometimes I think im the only one in the real world that thinks about what I do and asks anyone it affects even if I legally dont have to, I think he should of asked legally as its my property, he has no rights just because its on the boundary. I would have said that's fine if he had of asked.

JoanHickson Tue 19-May-15 18:42:51

If he is a decent guy then tell him it upset you not to do again then have a cup of tea. If he is a general arsehole get him to remove it and make your garage good.

agentEgypt Tue 19-May-15 18:45:34

He is decent-ish as far as I'm aware from short chats. It's just annoying but I'd feel like an idiot going round to say hes pissed me off.

whiteblossom Tue 19-May-15 18:50:33

Yanbu at all! Legally you can take it down. My ndn hung a 7 ft gate off the side of my house...I was fuming. I told him he was out of order, so arrogant to think it's okay. He made out I was over reacting, I was pg at the time so I had to walk away! He told his builder he had asked me and it was okay, he hadn't.

Fatstacks Tue 19-May-15 18:51:04

Don't go especially for that but next time you see him maybe mention that his new fence looked nice and ask had he knocked for long when he came to ask.
A bit PA but act as though it is the only possible explanation, I.e. that you weren't home.

Maybe prick his conscience.

peltata Tue 19-May-15 19:02:50

Fatstacks do you find that approach works? It seems too convoluted and the other person will think it through and feel miffed that you didn't just say what you wanted.

I think it is best to say something so they know you are aware of the work and hope they do the decent thing next time.

Fatstacks Tue 19-May-15 19:20:10

Pelt it likely goes completely over people's head grin I sometimes wonder if we don't just need to get a bit of something off our chest (I like to have a good chunter to the cat) and then drop it rather than knee jerky indignant stuff that we look back on and wonder why we even cared!

I reckon that's my age though, peaceful wins out now!

Not suggesting that the OP is bu or indignant just that sometimes it's more the fact of saying something that helps.

Collaborate Tue 19-May-15 20:09:56

Your OP is contradictory. On the one hand you say it's your wall, but on the other you say that it's on the boundary. The boundary is a concept. It's where your land and his meet. If you built your wall up to but not on the boundary he shouldn't be attaching anything to it. You should show him the proof that you have to say it's your wall and not a party wall. He should then remove anything he fixed to it and make good all the holes.

It's not unreasonable to expect that your property respected.

Nightowlagain Tue 19-May-15 20:13:27

This is interesting because my neighbours' garage is behind our row of houses, and the wall of it is the back of our garden, as in we have no fence, their garage wall is right on our boundary. I was thinking about putting a trellis up on it, and wondered whether to ask them. I am planning to out of courtesy but would I actually need their permission?

PatsyNoPasta Tue 19-May-15 21:38:32

You cannot attach anything to any structure that you do not own. If your garage is the boundary, your neighbour cannot use it as a support for his fence. He has committed criminal damage. Tell him to remove it. You can of course remove it yourself and put it back on his property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now