Talk

Advanced search

To want a straightforward recommendation for a conveyancer?

(9 Posts)
ISeeIt Mon 18-May-15 22:06:05

We're moving. We need a conveyancer - preferably one that doesn't break the bank but does the job thoroughly and quickly.

Why does google insist on tying me in knots when I look for reviews? I want to compare online and local firms. I want clear quotes (WHY all the different disbursements and figures? They make it so tricky to compare like for like) but most of all I want recommendations. Why is it so hard to find clear advice on this?

On that note... Anyone have first hand experience of a great, reasonably priced conveyancer?

ItsADinosaur Mon 18-May-15 22:09:50

Ours was fab, we've used them more than once. They aren't the cheapest I think, but couldn't be more reliable.

ISeeIt Mon 18-May-15 22:28:16

Could I have deets please?

ItsADinosaur Mon 18-May-15 23:06:29

Have sent you a pm.

ISeeIt Tue 19-May-15 11:08:14

Thanks dino. Anyone else got any hot tips? So many other forums have clearly been infiltrated by conoany employees on a free publicity rampage

gruffalocake2 Tue 19-May-15 11:12:08

I am in the same position! I think the law firms must pay a lot of money to get reviews shunted down/off the Google search. I've never tried to research something and found so little info online. I've gone with a personal recommendation for a mid priced firm now and hoping they will be good. Can PM you.

ISeeIt Tue 19-May-15 11:18:00

Thanks so much smile

ISeeIt Tue 19-May-15 11:25:32

Ps I'm glad I'm not the only one! Feels like a conspiracy! Hours of research to find myself no better informed and still staring the prospect of dropping a few grand on a service that could go either way in the face

bobbywash Tue 19-May-15 12:36:27

The only advice I would give is don't go for a national chain. Go for someone local. The service is more personal, you are not dealing with file handlers but someone who is actually dealing with your matter.

Also the thing to remember is you have to sign the mortgage deed and have it witnessed by a solicitor/conveyancer. If your conveyancer is not local, you can have a job finding one who will do it. The reason is that the form confirms the solicitor witnessing the document has explained the deed to you. This puts their indemnity insurance at risk, as building societies have sued in the solicitor in the event things go wrong. Quite rightly firms being asked to do this could charge you a big fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now