Talk

Advanced search

Can't stand Katy Perry

(26 Posts)
agentEgypt Mon 18-May-15 15:32:10

DD12 really likes her and I just can't stand how she does some empowering uplifting song with a good message and next song out with an awful message. Just pick a side and stop flip flopping!

There's the song where she goes "I want to see your cock, cock, cock"

The one where the rapper says to her "I'm gonna disrobe you, then probe you" great poetry

Where she sings that pictures have ended up on line of her having a three some and doing illegal stuff "oh well, I'm pretty sure it ruled!"

Where she says well done to people that wasted all their rent money drinking "RESPECT"

I know I'm probably just old, but her inconstancy is annoying.

Feminine Mon 18-May-15 15:34:03

She does tend to shout!

sparkysparkysparky Mon 18-May-15 15:38:25

Careful now. Objecting to shit and lazy sexualised lyrics in pop will get you accused of being a pearl clutcher on mn. We should all be utterly relaxed about our children listening to this kind of thing.
And yes I like some of Katy Perry ' s stuff.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Mon 18-May-15 15:41:03

It goes I want to see your PEACOCK

I know what it's insinuating but just to add a little accuracy here

Stinkylinky Mon 18-May-15 15:42:22

Her music doesn't bother me, I just find her really irritating and OTT as a person!

would kill for her body though

AdeleDazeem Mon 18-May-15 15:44:55

Yanbu

I don't like her either.

AdeleDazeem Mon 18-May-15 15:45:35

Yanbu

I don't like her either.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 18-May-15 15:47:08

The only time I felt sorry for Russell Brand was when he was married to Katy Perry.

agentEgypt Mon 18-May-15 15:51:50

It really don't think I'm overreacting by think its horrifying to hear a pre-pubescent girl sing along "I want to see your peacock, cock cock"

Sorry let me google the full lyrics:

"Peacock"

I wanna see your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock, -cock
Your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock
I wanna see your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock, -cock
Your peacock, -cock, -cock,
Your peacock

sparkysparkysparky Mon 18-May-15 15:56:48

At our school they had some talent show type thing which included a 9 year old singing "Let’s go all the way". But I am an uptight old crone for thinking this is dreadful, according to mn.

sarkymare Mon 18-May-15 16:01:21

Where she sings that pictures have ended up online of her having a threesome and doing illegal stuff "oh well, I'm pretty sure it ruled!"

The song you are referring to is last Friday night and no she doesn't sing about photos of her having a threesome ending up online, she doesn't even mention a threesome at all.

BlueBananas Mon 18-May-15 16:08:01

She definitely at she had a ménage a trois at some point

cleanmyhouse Mon 18-May-15 16:09:23

Can't suffer her.

That roar song did my tits in.

flora717 Mon 18-May-15 16:54:28

Saying what she can in order to get herself sold. Really quite the usual uninteresting and generic product of the fame machine. If she has a talent noone would know as it probably wouldn't get her "sold".

Theycallmemellowjello Mon 18-May-15 17:01:32

Sorry i can't get worked over this. I think it's positive having a woman singing about being in a sexually active rather than passive role.

ShakesBootyFlabWobbles Mon 18-May-15 17:17:53

"do you ever feel, like a plastic bag..."

Nope, never. Ever. I can't get past the inane lyrics.

I do like her lollipop-chic fashion sense though.

Finola1step Mon 18-May-15 17:20:57

She's one if the very few slebs who I simply can not tolerate.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 18-May-15 17:49:31

She is appallingly shit.

I find it outrageous she charges people money to see her live, embarrassingly bad.

Debs75 Mon 18-May-15 18:01:06

She is an absolutely rubbish "popstar" who gets away with god awful songs and very risque lyrics. How she has avoided a parental advisory sticker is beyond me

windchime Mon 18-May-15 20:00:56

YABU. Anyone who doesn't like Katy Perry is clearly just jealous of her gorgeousness.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Mon 18-May-15 20:10:06

What I don't get about her is how she can have some brilliant songs like Roar, Part of Me, Hot and Cold - then equality shit ones like Birthday, Kissed a Girl, E.T. There's just not in between, her songs are either good or crap (in my opinion obviously). No comment on her personally, I don't know the lady. Maybe the OP would like Taylor Swift's new song......

ForalltheSaints Mon 18-May-15 20:18:29

If you hadn't mentioned the age of your daughter I would have thought you were Mrs Boycott!

SwedishEdith Mon 18-May-15 20:37:05

I wouldn't ever notice her lyrics because I find her unbearable. I'm really unable to listen to the Firework song - horrible, horrible, horrible.

TheCatsFlaps Mon 18-May-15 20:42:47

Her voice has an awful robotic quality to it. I can well imagine it's been autotuned ruthlessly, and I swear her and Jessie fucking J both sound the same.

SwedishEdith Mon 18-May-15 20:51:54

Yes, yes, yes to all the autotuning. Read this recently in an interview, "Katy Perry gave us stems and they were a disaster. It’s crazy to look at a Katy Perry session. There are 200 tracks, 50 for the vocals alone. When you hear her vocals isolated — no offense, she’s talented and has a great voice (a Christian voice) — but they tune her in the most brutal way. There’s not a track that isn’t perfectly tuned."

Now, I'm not entirely sure whether this is really critical but I'm going to read it that way for my own satisfaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now