Talk

Advanced search

Off work long term. Not sacked/not given notice. What's happening?

(12 Posts)
Twentypercentoff Mon 18-May-15 10:46:37

Posted in Employment Issues too but there's barely any traffic there, also I think I need a bloody good talking-to, hence AIBU board.

Been off work since mid April now. They stopped paying me end of April.

I've been in touch twice to inform of absence.

Then they sent me a letter saying I had to inform HR what my plan was before a certain date. I rang up before that date - twice - but couldn't get hold of HR, (there's only one person in HR who does everything).

It's cold calling and people quit on their first tea break kind of environment, so management and HR especially are all hangdog attitude unsurprisingly they are so jaded and pee'd off with crap employees like me people quitting constantly. It's no wonder really HR couldn't be bothered to take my calls, why should they when they've already probably replaced and lost amd replaced my position three times already since I was last there.

I had a doctor's note for a period of 12 days but I haven't sent that in.
I told work I was ill but actually my anxiety and depression issues have prevented me returning.

I have keys and electronic IDs etc to return.

Obviously my reference is going to be atrocious which is going to prevent me getting a new job. I think is is what is stopping me from sorting this mess out. I feel overwhelmed that I've stuffed everything up royally.

I don't know what to do next.
Work hasn't been in touch in any way to tell me I'm sacked, I've not received any official notices, and I haven't been in touch with work to tell them I want to leave - or not. I'd feel to embarrassed to go back in anyway now. Anxiety and depression sound like such a weak excuse for being so irresponsible about this whole scenario so I don't want to tell work that was the reason, which means I'd have to barefaced lie if they ask me (if we evr get in touch with eachother).

Please tell me straight what to do. I'm just frozen to the spot I don't know what to do.

If you recognise me from other threads please don't out me either as my boyfriend (who I don't live with) knows I use Mumsnet. And yes, I told him I've been sacked. He doesn't know the truth.

minkGrundy Mon 18-May-15 10:50:38

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.
If you want to speak to them you will need to go and see them I think.
How long did you work there for? If it wasn't that long then I wouldn't wirry anout the reference, revert back to the previous one

Do you want to go back to work there? Would you consider it?

Of turnover is as high as you say then there is a chance they would take you back on.

MarniRose Mon 18-May-15 10:51:20

Well I'm a bit confused !

First of all send in any doctors notes that you have and secondly, why not email them? ' I've been off sick as you know with a stomach bug / whatever you've told them and this has led to an increase in my depression unfortunately. This period of ill health is fully covered by a doctors note and I will of course keep you fully informed of my progress '

Something like that ?

MarniRose Mon 18-May-15 10:52:14

Or have you definitely decided that you've left? In that case, email in your resignation with immediate effect and say that you will arrange to have their property returned to them

QuizteamBleakley Mon 18-May-15 10:57:38

Anxiety and depression aren't weak excuses, no wonder you feel rooted to the spot. How long have you worked for this company and have THEY made any effort to contact you?
It always seems worse than it actually is, get a brew down you and start a list of what you need to do. flowers

Twentypercentoff Mon 18-May-15 11:07:21

I can't rely on any references prior to this one, I hadn't worked for several years previously due to having babies.

Marni, my doctor's note was issued end of April, it's the first time I've used one, never been off work ill before in any of my jobs. Is this note 'indefinately' then?

Yes, Mink, ideally I should return if I can't find another job meanwhile as I can't afford to stay unemployed, I have babies to keep a roof over their head for.

Quiz, I've been there for several months. They haven't contacted me at all other than the one letter I mentioned.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 18-May-15 11:20:19

Sorry you feel so bad at the moment.

Right, first things first - get a friend to help you with this bit of admin. The company has probably assumed that you've left anyway and if they're rubbish at answering the phone then maybe it's because they're doing a job that the public doesn't like anyway. Well done for getting out - any job, imo, is better than cold calling when you're feeling fragile.

He/she will need to get a short letter done, enclosing your doctor's note, any company property, confirming that you won't be returning with effect from the date that your doctors' not goes up to - and ask for your P45 and any other pertinent documentation that you'll need.

You'll feel better if you can do that one thing - letter in writing - it's all official then.

Look around for other jobs, see what's there. If you weren't with this company very long then don't disclose it - just say to potential new employers that you were ill but now recovered and raring to go.

Do you have a local job centre for when you're feeling up to it?

SuperFlyHigh Mon 18-May-15 11:29:12

OK - well send doctor's note that you have in and a letter covering any anxiety/depression issues as you seem to want to return.

Your note will have covered you for 12 days so HR will most likely want explanation as to why you're off. Now rather than ring HR I'd write (either next day delivery) or email (get address from receptionist) HR to inform them of your back to work plan or resignation. Also how long have you worked there?

Why on earth would you get a bad reference if your work is otherwise ok and of a good standard? what you've done so far though not brilliant employee wise isn't terrible especially considering you have anxiety/depression issues.

You should not feel too embarrassed to go back to work either (you could have a back to work meeting after sickness).

They can sack you for quite a few reasons if you've been there under 2 years but with the sickness/anxiety/depression you may get round that.

thinking of you. flowers

SuperFlyHigh Mon 18-May-15 11:31:10

Also as Lying says cold calling sounds a nightmare. So I'd leave! and follow her procedure. Unless you really need the job and could face doing it (i couldn't in your current scenario).

Temp or get an admin job etc - local government.

Floralnomad Mon 18-May-15 11:37:40

If you want to return to the job get on to your GP and get another certificate that backdates to the last one then copy them and send them into work recorded delivery .

Twentypercentoff Mon 18-May-15 11:58:46

Thankyou so far everyone, some good advice, just what I needed.

Floralnomad Mon 18-May-15 12:36:57

When you send in your sick note formally ask them if you are entitled to SSP .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now