To be so sick of my period ruining my life every month!?

(16 Posts)
StephenKatz Sun 17-May-15 08:50:03

I just need a vent really! Every month, without fail, my friends upset me, DH irritates me, the kids are too noisy and I neeeed food! And not fucking lettuce either!

The food bit is the worst. I've always struggled with my weight, I put it on so easily. I reached my target size two years ago, and have managed to maintain it, but every month my period comes along to sabotage it. I just want to binge on anything and everything sweet. DH has a jar of Lotus Biscoff spread in the cupboard and it's calling out to me!

It wouldn't matter so much but I very frequently get well meaning compliments about how 'great' I look (not a stealth boast, they can't see the apron of skin I have to tuck into my high waisted jeans everyday!). It just makes me feel worse, like all that matters is that I'm thin. Nothing else. And I need food so much I could cry with frustration.

I'm turning 30 in just over a week, and I can't give in. I want to be thin in my photographs (so shallow). If I wasn't due on my period I'd be perfectly happy. I eat very healthily and exercise a lot - I love it!

WTF is wrong with me? I can't be the only one surely? Is there any quick fix for PMT? (Other than spoonfuls of Lotus spread, straight out the jar?)

StephenKatz Sun 17-May-15 08:52:02

Sorry, that turned into a mega rant! Woe is me, I want to stay thin but people keep pissing me off by telling me how thin I am hmm

momtothree Sun 17-May-15 08:53:49

I think you mean there is more to you than being thin ...

MagelanicClouds Sun 17-May-15 08:54:29

Yanbu, once a month I feel the rage... Which I medicate with chocolate.

ItsTricky Sun 17-May-15 08:55:09

Very hard to have any self control around food when you're emotional and in pain. YANBU op. flowers

tobysmum77 Sun 17-May-15 08:56:18

Do you think you have a bit of a warped idea of what you look like? I'm slim but not the body beautiful. It sounds like if anything you just need to tone up a bit rather than getting thinner. So maybe eat the crap once a month and then go down the gym.

Ilovewheelychairs Sun 17-May-15 08:58:36

I experienced exactly the same OP, but add severe depression and suicidal feelings into the mix! I've been on Cerazette for 2 years now and haven't had a period in that time. It's completely transformed my life!

MrsTedCrilly Sun 17-May-15 09:00:03

Do you balance it out the rest of the month though? Eat healthily etc.. You can't be putting loads of weight on during your period. How does a week out of the month affect your weight so much?

Neeko Sun 17-May-15 09:03:14

Is it water retention? I store water during mine eve if I drink loads. I disappears in the couple of days post period though. Maybe keep of the scales? do as I say, not as I do B vitamins can help with the rage too.

Neeko Sun 17-May-15 09:03:55

Even and it. Sorry grin

TheWitTank Sun 17-May-15 09:05:15

I feel your pain -literally. Mine isn't so much the mood swings, but the actual pain. I get hormonal migraines, so guarantee I will get a corker about a day before my period arrives. Then is excruciating cramps and leg pain for 2 days. Joys!

CiderRules Sun 17-May-15 09:05:57

My period does that to me too - I HATE it. Usually I get some super high cocoa dark chocolate that's so strong I can only eat a couple of squares of it at a time to help me not to binge. It kind of works. That and dried apricots.

fatlazymummy Sun 17-May-15 09:07:03

Do you do any exercise? There was a poster on here a month or so ago who had started an exercise regime, and she said her periods had dramatically improved as a result , not to mention she had lost inches overall.

scarletforya Sun 17-May-15 09:07:31

Evening primrose oil OP. Does make a difference.

StephenKatz Sun 17-May-15 09:23:28

Thank you for the sympathy and advice! I'll look at Evening Primrose.

I'm fairly toned. I do body pump twice a week and body balance once, along with a session in the gym. I have biceps and firm abs (under the excess skin!!) and have learned the lesson that my weight is less relevant than my measurements! I think my hormones just cause me to have really disordered thinking about my body. I'm honestly not that bad the rest of the month!

StephenKatz Sun 17-May-15 09:25:37

And yes, I wish there was more to me than being thin. Perhaps if I saw it more in myself m, other people would notice too sad

Fortunately DH sees more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now