Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to feel guilty my child is working?

(12 Posts)
RusticBlush Sat 16-May-15 22:00:42

Sitting here feeling shit thinking of my teen at their first job slaving away while I'm sat at home with my wine .
Don't get me wrong they never do without and get a regular allowance but they wanted to get a job and enjoy it but still...please tell me this is normal and the guilt goes??

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 16-May-15 22:02:46

The thing is that your child isn't a child.

Mine are 9 and almost 6 so don't understand from a parents point of view.

fiveacres Sat 16-May-15 22:03:03

Be proud. Good for them! smile

AuntyMag10 Sat 16-May-15 22:03:31

Aww don't feel guilty. It's great that your teen is working, it will only benefit them in the long run. Enjoy the wine

listsandbudgets Sat 16-May-15 22:04:05

YABU - you should be patting yourself on the back for bringing up a dc with a responsible work ethic and a can do attitude. Have another glass of wine smile

Passmethecrisps Sat 16-May-15 22:05:59

You have done a good job so deserve wine.

They want to work and won't go without if they don't - that sounds to me like that have work ethic.

Awesome!

SpringBreaker Sat 16-May-15 22:08:58

If they are 13 then fair enough to feel a bit guilty if they are working to pay for their own school uniform... if its a 16+ teenager saving for driving lessons, funding their social life, etc.. then your teen sounds like a decent one who appreciates that in life you have to earn things not just expect your parents to provide you with everything..

TiredAssShowgirl Sat 16-May-15 22:14:07

Don't! I bloody loved working when i was a teen (less keen on it now wink ) I used to work in concert halls and events venues from when i was 17, and it was fab, having colleagues, going off to work and having my own money, and being behind the scenes in these huge old buildings.

What are they doing?

atticusfinchatemybaby Sat 16-May-15 22:14:24

Only if your child is a drug mule / prostitute and you are their pimp. Otherwise, it's good for teenagers to work.

PerpetualStudent Sat 16-May-15 22:15:45

It'll be the making of them, enjoy your wine and feel proud

RusticBlush Sat 16-May-15 22:24:56

Thankyou all flowers
I sit here clock-watching every weekend till they're home - dh works most weekends but I have them off which is why its so strange the eldest is not here.
Wish I didn't have this guilt though - and yes the bottle of wine has been demolished smile

Stopandlook Sat 16-May-15 22:45:18

I loved working evenings when I was a teen got to flirt with all the bar staff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now