Talk

Advanced search

To be worried my DD2 has eaten a lot of folic acid tablets

(19 Posts)
WorriedMum192 Fri 15-May-15 23:39:39

I'm at a friend's house, I've just discovered my daughter has got into my friend's pot of folic acid tablets and has eaten some. I'm not sure how many, we've counted the amount remaining and think maybe up to 20. They're 400mcg tablets. I'm not sure if this is harmful? Should I take her to A&E? Am I over reacting?

noblegiraffe Fri 15-May-15 23:40:41

Phone 111 and ask them.

What does it say on the packet?

Ikeatears Fri 15-May-15 23:42:40

This says to seek emergency medical advice

WorriedMum192 Fri 15-May-15 23:44:38

I'm outside the UK which us why I'm freaking out as there's no one to ask. On the pot it just says keep out of the reach of children. The cap isn't childproof, it's just a screw off one, so maybe it's not too bad?

grumpysquash Fri 15-May-15 23:44:48

Folic acid is one of the few things that is 'ok' for a baby.
So I think it would be hard to OD on it. But if DD gets a sore mouth, stomach, or any skin reaction, I would get it checked out (likely that they'll say keep an eye out and come back if it gets worse....so no actual treatment). But I am not a GP, so not a professional opinion.

grumpysquash Fri 15-May-15 23:50:06

Meant to say, it is a water soluble vitamin, so any excess should just be wee'd out, probably over the next 24 hours. (But do keep monitoring for anything unusual, just in case. Maybe offer more drinks than usual to speed up getting rid of it/dilute any effect?)

CactusAnnie Fri 15-May-15 23:51:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorriedMum192 Sat 16-May-15 00:05:32

She's 2 years 10 months. Thanks for your replies, I've calmed down now. She seems absolutely fine in herself, I'll keep an eye on her and keep her drinking water. We found some more tablets clearing up just now so she's had more like 10-15 I think.

WorraLiberty Sat 16-May-15 00:06:25

I've Googled for you OP.

If you take more than you should
If you (or someone else) swallow a lot of the tablets at the same time, or you think a child may have swallowed any, contact your nearest hospital casualty department or tell your doctor immediately.

From this link

icelollycraving Sat 16-May-15 00:25:02

Good god, I'd be taking them to a&e. I'm sure it'd be a precaution but better to be safe.

Iwasbornin1993 Sat 16-May-15 01:08:33

Hi OP

I've just asked OH (who is a doctor) for you and he said he'd advise you to take DD to your nearest A&E, just for precautionary measures! And to take the bottle the tablets came in with you too.

HTH and hope your DD is okay - sure she will be fine! ��

Micah Sat 16-May-15 01:45:43

They're low toxicity;

www.npis.org/lowtoxposter2015.pdf

A call to 111 is better than rushing off to a &e if you need "real life" reassurance.

kali110 Sat 16-May-15 01:55:51

I take 1200 of folic acid every day and iv not noticed any ill affects

Micah Sat 16-May-15 02:06:17

Just seen you're outside the UK- many countries have a poisons unit you can call and ask smile

differentnameforthis Sat 16-May-15 05:04:40

kali110 But you are not a 2yr old child?

OP, please seek medical advice instead of relying on the internet. Too many people are too quick to rely on strangers & information that anyone can put on a web page.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 16-May-15 05:08:17

overdoseinfo.com/folic-acid-overdose/

Most of the symptoms are only going to refer to continual overdosing, rather than a one-off; but if you're worried you should still take her to a doctor.

kali110 Sat 16-May-15 13:36:06

Im well aware of that however there im simply stating a lot of people even younger take continous large doses of this every day.
From what iv read there isn't any ill effects.

TheWitTank Sat 16-May-15 13:45:41

I would go with the poster whose husband is a doctor if I was you op. That's a lot of tablets to consume in a very small amount of time in a little body.

Theycallmemellowjello Sat 16-May-15 13:45:55

Go to a doctor. Not worth the risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now