To be terribly upset by this lady's story?

(9 Posts)
Livingtothefull Fri 15-May-15 09:33:58

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/14/bristol-pensioner-body-avon-gorge-olive-cooke

This lady was widowed young during WWII, she went on to devote herself to helping others until it seems she could not give any more. It is so saddening that her life ended like this, and to read that she apparently 'lost faith in people'.

zara020 Fri 15-May-15 10:28:13

I felt exactly the same when I read it. Poor lady, bet her family are seething. Going down town now and I have a good mind to bring this story up to the first charity mugger who interrupts me. It needs stopping the whole thing, it's more than just an annoyance when it means vulnerable people are taking their own lives

Koalafications Fri 15-May-15 10:30:17

YANBU. It's really upsetting.

I understand that charities need to publicise the needs of the people/animals etc. that they are helping but for this to be the outcome is just so terribly sad.

Grantaire Fri 15-May-15 10:32:43

There's already a long AIBU thread about this if you want to join the discussion there op.

It's utterly heartbreaking.

sebsmummy1 Fri 15-May-15 10:37:58

Sounds about right.

Today's society is not designed for the vulnerable. If you are someone with a kind demeanour, those charity adverts are going to play on your mind long after they have been shown. It's no coincidence that the elderly are the people who are most likey to watch the adverts in the day and probably the most likely to be coerced by a sharp minded call centre agent making money via commission.

In my twenties I had a direct debit set up for a charity and was sick of the constant harassing calls trying to get me to increase the amount. So I cancelled it and they would ring me every day wanting it reinstated. In the end I had an argument with them on the phone and told them just how tiny my income was and could they just leave me the hell alone. I think after that they did!

hiddenhome Fri 15-May-15 10:49:50

The younger you are when you lose faith in people, the better really. Saves you a great deal of stress and upset. It must be so painful getting to that age then realising people are just skanky dogs who'd screw you over if you lay dying in the street.

And no, there aren't 'nice people' around. We're all just nasty, grabbing chimps given the right set of circumstances.

balletnotlacrosse Fri 15-May-15 10:56:56

It's a very sad story, but I don't think the charities were the main cause of her unhappiness. She sounds like she was generally depressed and life was getting her down. I'm not defending the cold callers, who have absolutely no right to harass and pester vulnerable people.

Mintyy Fri 15-May-15 11:04:13

Yanbu but this is the 3rd or 4th thread about it on Mumsnet today.

hiddenhome Fri 15-May-15 11:31:53

Being harassed will no doubtedly have contributed towards her depressed state of mind.

Depression isn't some random disease that suddenly attacks you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now