to ask you to commiserate with me about noisy neighbours

(25 Posts)
mytitiferssungtheirsong Thu 14-May-15 21:12:38

I always hear ndn tv but usually able to tune out as it's not too bad. Tonight however it's like they put the speakers against the wall and cranked it up. I'm actually surprised they can listen to it like that.
Was planning an early night as dd wakes early. Can't do earplugs as I need to hear dd. Am thoroughly pissed off as just want some peace and quiet in my own home but that's obviously too much to ask.

I have considered talking to them butas dd (2) wakes in the night I feel guilty although obviously can't control it but try and do what i can to minimise noise.

I appreciate that certain noise level have to be expected in terraced housing-last week she had a shaggathon at 3 am but this is ridiculous. It's so bloody loud it's practically distorted.
Obviously between dd and neighbours I'm destined never to get any peace.

I'm I the only one stressing about noisy neighbours tonight?

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Thu 14-May-15 21:20:09

They are a fucking nightmare op. I fortunately don't have this anymore but at one point I was surrounded by them. If it had continued I think we'd have seriously had to consider moving.

I sympathise. Can you turn up your TV too. I used too do it to drown out the noisy bastards next door.

sparklepopsicles Thu 14-May-15 21:22:30

You have my sympathy. I am a very light sleeper so use earplugs most nights but still hear DS when he wakes. He's in the next room to me. I'd definitely have a polite word with them if it's that loud. You can't help the noise your DD makes but they can easily turn down their tv a bit. Do you get on in general?

mytitiferssungtheirsong Thu 14-May-15 21:34:04

Thanks. Yes just turned tv on a bit louder than usual. In general we get on. I rarely see her tbh as she works odd hours. Also I've not been here long. I am actually fairly conscious of the noise and try and keep tv low etc as i know how annoying it can be.
Bearing in mind it's victorian terraced housing and you can hear a mouse fart next door i should consider myself lucky it's not people arguing and swearing.
Just tired and depressed that I'll probably never be able to afford a detached house.

kathryng90 Thu 14-May-15 21:39:02

Much sympathy. We have guitar practice one side. Car repairs on the other on the drive with rigged up torch beams, obligatory radio and some very noisy problem with acceleration.

Not bothering me (too much) yet and not disturbed kids. But I need to be in bed by 10 and neither show signs of stopping...

Sorehead Thu 14-May-15 21:43:11

Our NDN has friends round and they're shouting and screaming like teenagers whose parents have gone on holiday and left them alone for the first time.

I know it's not THAT late but DS wakes at around 5am so I could do with getting to sleep now!

What time is unreasonable for them to be so loud on a weeknight?

Notcontent Thu 14-May-15 21:52:59

Oh god, I know how you feel. I also live in a Victorian terrace, and no alternative as I am in london so it's all terraces.

Neighbour on one side is very quiet. Other side mainly quiet but sometimes have extremely loud parties, and last it happened I could not sleep until 2 am.

Notcontent Thu 14-May-15 21:54:38

I personally think that from 10 pm onwards people need to make an effort to keep noise down.

OberonTheHopeful Thu 14-May-15 21:55:26

I really sympathize, I've had noisy neighbours a number of times and it's awful.

ninilegsintheair Thu 14-May-15 22:16:52

Same here, had nightmare neighbours for 6 years and finally we're moving!

Can I suggest a white noise app on your phone? The one I use is a godsend, takes the edge of noise from next door but I can still hear my dc if they wake. Its been the only thing to keep me sane. smile

ProudAS Thu 14-May-15 22:17:40

Soundproofing???

How old is your DD?

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Thu 14-May-15 22:30:17

I don't understand why aren't you on the phone to the police?

LadyCuntingtonThe3rd Thu 14-May-15 22:31:38

Oh, fair enough, it was 9 when you wrote it. But still, if the noise is so loud, you can call them even at day time.

chrome100 Thu 14-May-15 22:33:27

I can hear every word of the bloke upstairs TV. (And hear him on the loo but let's not go there). I don't mind as he turns it off by 11pm which I think is reasonable. You can't expect silence from people just living their daily lives.

avocadotoast Thu 14-May-15 22:35:26

We live in a back to back and hear everything from the house at the back. Which would be fine if it was just every day family noise, but considering the mother likes to shout and swear at the kids of a morning (and sometimes evening) it's not great.

Buuuut, we're due our first baby any day... I know I shouldn't be looking forward to revenge, but I really am.

Redglitter Thu 14-May-15 22:57:44

Why don't you speak to them? I had a similar problem in my last flat spoke to them and they were horrified to realise how much the noise travelled. Never had a single problem after them.

please try that before calling police as a pp suggested. I'd be well pissed off if the police coming to my door was the first I was aware of a problem

avocadotoast Thu 14-May-15 23:03:13

Police won't come out anyway, not for a one off report of TV noise. Domestic violence maybe; TV/music not so much.

It'd be the council you'd need to contact if anyone. They might send someone out if you're lucky...or they might just ask you to keep a diary.

2boys2girls Thu 14-May-15 23:06:07

Agree just mention it , I would apologise for my child waking in night saying sorry she disturbs you as I'm aware we can hear each others noises, then jokingly mention a programme they'd watched etc .
11pm is the cut off time I think as general rule

mytitiferssungtheirsong Thu 14-May-15 23:14:36

Thanks. My dd is two and not the best sleeper but relatively quiet when we are in during the day.
It's absolutely not so bad that i would call the police and I agree it's normal day to day living but at the time of writing it was absurdly loud.
Man on other side is very quiet but he goes to bed at exactly the same time every night give or take a few minutes. The reason it creeps me out is that it sounds like he's coming up my stairs, flicking my light switch and then into my room. Terrace living is way to close for comfort.
Thank god neither of them have a regular sexual partner. Just the odd shag from the tv one and i can live with that! !

avocadotoast Thu 14-May-15 23:17:39

I'm really glad it's not just our house you can hear next door's light switches in. Freaks me out no end.

When we first moved here I spent the first few nights convinced there must be someone creeping around our house.

2boys2girls Thu 14-May-15 23:19:14

Not suggesting they can hear her but you could just make out they can just to start the conversation

Redglitter Thu 14-May-15 23:48:59

the police would actually come out for neighbourhood noise but it'll just be right down the list of priorities

whitecandles Thu 14-May-15 23:53:09

I used to have upstairs neighbours who walked so noisily they woke me up even with ear plugs in. They had wooden floorboards and used to drop stuff constantly which went right through me.

Then students moved in next door. Constant parties and yelling and noise.

I hated living there in the end. You have my sympathies.

EustaciaBenson Fri 15-May-15 00:03:21

I loved next door to a retired man who was hard of hearing in my last house. He would have the TV up really loud and because he didnt have to go to work in the morning he would stay up till 3am. Not good when my DH was up at 5:30am for work. We mentioned it a few times, but to him it was quiet so he didnt really get the problem. I have no advixe for you OP just sympathy

EustaciaBenson Fri 15-May-15 00:03:25

I loved next door to a retired man who was hard of hearing in my last house. He would have the TV up really loud and because he didnt have to go to work in the morning he would stay up till 3am. Not good when my DH was up at 5:30am for work. We mentioned it a few times, but to him it was quiet so he didnt really get the problem. I have no advixe for you OP just sympathy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now