to really dislike the idea of Murder Mysteries, especially for children?

(35 Posts)
TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 14-May-15 18:35:09

I think it's really tasteless and inappropriate, tbh.

I hate the idea of a fake 'corpse' and solving it... I can't stop thinking of the children who have lost their own parents etc and a game being made of death and violence.

Waltermittythesequel Thu 14-May-15 18:38:53

Ok...I presume there's a back story?

AmIthatHot Thu 14-May-15 18:39:36

The one I was at didn't have a corpse and wasn't disturbing.

nequidnimis Thu 14-May-15 18:42:49

YANBU to dislike anything, as long as you don't sneer at people who think otherwise.

I doubt anyone would be insensitive enough to play this with a child who had experienced bereavement, and IME children take death (as part of a game) in their stride anyway - play guns, cops and robbers, Cowboys and Indians, wink murder and so on.

SaucyJack Thu 14-May-15 18:43:34

I used to get loads of religious books out of the library when I was a child. My mum thought I wanted to be a nun, but I really just liked looking at the pictures of Jesus being crucified.

Kids aren't as delicate as you think.

yellowdaisies Thu 14-May-15 18:46:52

I can't see why it's inappropriate. Kids games that they devise for themselves very often have people being killed in them. They don't get overly drawn into the grief side of things, it's just part of the plot. Just like in murder mysteries.

JoanHickson Thu 14-May-15 18:48:17

can you please explain further op?

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 14-May-15 18:48:23

The Murder Mystery Maths thing is being mooted in the staffroom again.

I just don't like them at all, especially not as a teaching tool.

Summerisle1 Thu 14-May-15 18:58:44

How are they a teaching tool? Just out of interest. Are you training the future writers of Silent Witness?

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 14-May-15 19:02:03

All of our students seem to do them confused

The idea is that you wreck the classroom, draw a chalk body line on the floor and use various maths strategies to work out whodunnit.

PolterGoose Thu 14-May-15 19:03:41

Sounds great to me grin

Summerisle1 Thu 14-May-15 19:04:45

So it's not really a Murder Mystery as such then? Or not in the sense most people will have encountered if they do Murder Mystery events. Only I'd envisaged some sort of lifelike corpse not merely a chalk outline on a classroom floor.

What age group are we talking about here?

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 14-May-15 19:06:13

IABU then grin

Argh, I just really dislike it. It doesn't sit well with me.

They get 'hairs' from the corpse etc. Tends to be upper primary.

Pennies Thu 14-May-15 19:06:54

My DD (aged 8) loves them!

Summerisle1 Thu 14-May-15 19:08:08

My dcs would have loved them. As indeed would most of their friends!

scurryfunge Thu 14-May-15 19:09:33

Children find it exciting. The idea is so far removed from anything they are likely to encounter. The vast vast majority of children will never experience it. It's almost a safe area to play around with.

steff13 Thu 14-May-15 19:09:54

That sounds amazing. I would have loved it.

They get 'hairs' from the corpse etc. Tends to be upper primary.

So, there's a "corpse?"

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 14-May-15 19:12:08

But it shouldn't be a safe area. It's not something that should be trivialised IMO.

No, some poor sod in the staffroom is assaulted with a pair of tweezers to provide the hair!

scurryfunge Thu 14-May-15 19:21:43

Trouble, don't think it's being trivialised. Just think it's a vehicle to allow independant thought and "investigation". Children are stimulated from anything out of the ordinary.

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 14-May-15 19:22:53

I just don't think that death (especially violent death) should be a stimulation for children.

geekymommy Thu 14-May-15 19:23:45

Lots of kids' entertainment and literature deals with death and violence. Most kids are not going to have dealt with losing a parent in real life, and even fewer are going to have dealt with having a parent murdered. Many Shakespeare plays also deal with death and violence. Should we ban them from schools, too?

I could see how it could possibly be triggering for someone who has dealt with that kind of thing. But if you take everything that could possibly be triggering off the menu, you're going to be left with a set of very boring books and activities. "Everything you learn in school is boring" isn't the message we want to send kids.

steff13 Thu 14-May-15 19:29:53

Lots of kids' entertainment and literature deals with death and violence.

True. Disney movies, Brothers Grimm, even Harry Potter deal with death, sometimes violent death.

spanky2 Thu 14-May-15 19:31:35

I agree, not for primary school. I'd be really upset if ds1 did this and he is year six. Also some children have to deal with violence on a daily basis and this is a repition of what they see at home. It trivialises violent death to a fun game. I have taught children who have had a family member involved in murder and it is not fun for them. Apart from the fact that my dcs are shielded as much as I can from that.

littlejohnnydory Thu 14-May-15 19:33:09

Almost anything funny, thrilling or exciting actually isn't if you have real life experience. Doesn't leave you with a lot to ignite children's enthusiasm. If you had a child in the school with a murdered relative you would know about it and obviously wouldn't do it in that case. Otherwise it's no worse than playing Cluedo. My almost eight year old would love it and it's something I'd happily take him to.

Bue Thu 14-May-15 19:36:23

So Cluedo is off limits too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now