Talk

Advanced search

To not play football with ds every day?

(8 Posts)
Pandorasaquarium8 Tue 12-May-15 18:16:27

My poor ds (5) is a very lonely only child and I do play with him quite a bit as I'm aware that due to infertility he's missed out on a sibling.

He's now hugely into football and wants to play all the time. I'm at work nearly full time and tbh am shattered when I get home. Two evenings a week he goes and plays football with his team and one evening a week he usually has a play date but he still wants to play pretty much all the time.

I will play about 50% of the times but tonight I'm just too tired. I got in at 5.15 (ds and I had both been out of the house since 7.30am) did tea and now need to go and tidy up rather than mn (and will in a second!) but ds wants to play football.
I feel so bloody guilty all the time. I know I should be out there with him (he's playing sadly on his own) but I'm just shattered! I offered to read or play a board game or table football but he doesn't want to do those things.

Aibu to not want to play every day?

EatShitDerek Tue 12-May-15 18:18:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MakeItACider Tue 12-May-15 18:18:46

YANBU at all! Get some of those pop up/portable goals, and let him practice penalty shots!!. He can also practice kneeing the ball, dribbling, etc.

Have a look at what they do at football training - LOADS of stuff he can do on his own. Might not be as interesting, mind, but if he's that keen, he'll go and do it.

Leeds2 Tue 12-May-15 18:43:23

Get some cones that he has to dribble round.

And one of those footballs on the end of a rope that you tie round your ankle.

shadypines Tue 12-May-15 18:47:02

YANBU. I think my DS wanted me to do this up until he was about 13yrs!! I was knackered!! DH always made the excuse of having a dodgy knee sad

hiccupgirl Tue 12-May-15 18:47:52

YANBU but I understand the guilt - I also have an only 5 yr old DS though mine is into make believe games with dinosaurs and playmobil and wants to play those all the time.

I do play with him quite a bit but I have to draw a line because I have jobs that need doing, it's frankly as boring as anything after a max of 15 mins and he does need to be able to make up games himself. But I still feel guilty that he's playing on his own sometimes.

hippoesque Wed 13-May-15 14:22:45

The guilt would be there if you had 5 children or one because you'd always feel you weren't doing enough. Be kind to yourself, 3 evenings a week is a lot of time to be playing with other children and enjoying the company that gives.

Gottagetmoving Wed 13-May-15 14:33:34

YANBU. Your DS has to learn that you are not free all the time to play.He has to learn that you are tired and have other things to do.
It sounds like you play with him quite a lot so there is no need to feel guilty for it - OR for not giving him a sibling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now