Talk

Advanced search

Head banging

(4 Posts)
Lucyloves101 Tue 12-May-15 01:08:07

Had a terrible morning really fighting my exhausted 9mo baby to take a nap. Finally seemed to have settled and went downstairs where I heard some weird banging, came back up and he had sat himself up and was quite gently in a sleep like state banging the back of his head on the cot bars. As soon as I lay him back down he was asleep. Would this worry you? He's crawling and babbling and trying to pull himself up, he's very social and can clap, wave, kiss (lunge at you with a wide open mouth on request) and feed himself finger food. He has just got out of the habit of shaking his head in a no like fashion when really tired. When he gets excited he flaps his arms up and down a lot but this has got less since he is mobile. He had a bit of a traumatic start to life but has been signed off as a healthy baby, does this sound ok to you? He is also teething. I love him so much but hate the anxiety.

Stratter5 Tue 12-May-15 01:27:55

DD1 was a terrible head banger, and it used to worry me so much. We got a referral to a lovely Paediatrician, who was very comforting, and said some babies simply do this to get to sleep, a bit like counting sheep.

DD2 used to flap and, well I can only describe it as 'lurdling' - an odd noise 'lurdlelurdlelurdle'. She grew out of that too thank fuck.

I think what I'm trying to say is babies are a bit odd. They do odd things, that are perfectly normal for them, but look bloody weird to us.

Lucyloves101 Tue 12-May-15 01:39:26

Thank you so much for replying! It's awful but I just want him to turn two so I can see him talking and walking and fricking relax! Great news on your DD1, maybe babies just like scaring the crap out of us for entertainment purposes.

RedRugNoniMouldiesEtc Tue 12-May-15 01:49:19

Head banging is a "thing" some babies do. It's a repeative touch response a bit like when you shh pat them. Generally nothing to worry about unless you think they may cause themselves harm. if you are concerned talk to your health visitor or gp but it's basically just a habit smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now