To have held out for a council house?

(13 Posts)
Keletubbie Mon 11-May-15 20:57:56

I considered a name change for this...

I'm a 32 yr old single mum of 1. I work part time but have a disability that means I may end up unable to work at some point.

I recently split with my partner, with whom I rented a nice privately rented house. When he left, with a bit of housing benefits, I could afford the rent. However, the property is going up for sale now and my tenancy was not renewed.

I went to the council for advice, and they suggested that I apply for local authority housing. Rents in this area are ridiculous compared to average income, and a 2 bed local authority property rents for roughly half the price of a private one.

Due to my disability, I'm very high on the list to be rehomed... although I am currently able bodied. I'm currently still in the property awaiting a possession order. However, I'm now plagued with guilt over moving to a council house while I have a good job.

AIBU? Should I have rented privately? Not really an option now, as my estate agents are v unlikely to give me a decent reference...

Anaffaquine Mon 11-May-15 21:00:36

You shouldn't feel guilty. This is exact why there is a need for social housing. I hope you get one soon.
I also hope your health is ok for a long time so you can enjoy your new home.

RJnomore Mon 11-May-15 21:00:42

Council/social housing is not just for the unemployed. It's for those in housing need and to get it, you need to prove that. If you have proved the need you are as entitled to it as anyone else.

Aermingers Mon 11-May-15 21:03:28

YANBU. Assuming you have something like MS if you have a relapse and no partner you're fucked in a private let. At least in the council place you would get adaptions done. That won't just make life easier for you, it will also means that if you get worse in the future DS's caring responsibilities will be minimised. That's very important for his education/independence etc.

SoonToBeSix Mon 11-May-15 21:04:05

No yanbu

Keletubbie Mon 11-May-15 21:10:43

I have CIDP, the symptoms of which are similar to MS. Currently on treatment which leaves me 99% able bodied but with Cameron's NHS cuts on the horizon, I can see that changing as it costs about £1,000 a week to keep me this way sad

Babiecakes11 Mon 11-May-15 21:11:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DixieNormas Mon 11-May-15 21:14:13

Yanbu hang in for the council house, its a bit of security in a time when we don't know what will happen with bemefits

pixienott Mon 11-May-15 21:18:18

Go for it. Both private rented and private ownership in this country are fraught with issues due to the heavy manipulation and vested interests keeping prices at ludicrous levels compared to the incomes of most. YANBU considering your situation in the slightest.

Now...wait for LotusLight 'Jam today' in 3...2...1....

tametempo Mon 11-May-15 21:21:32

YANBU. I would have loved to been able to afford my own home but it never happened. Seeing as I am stuck renting, I am extremely grateful for my housing association tenancy.
I really feel for a lot of private renters. They are being utterly ripped off.

CrapBag Mon 11-May-15 21:24:52

YANBU. You have need for it. A friend of mine has a HA house. She works and is a single parent and feels guilty but I don't see why she should.

What I do object to is when SIL got a council flat. SIL and her DP both work full time, no dependants and unlikely to have any, renting a house they could easily afford and it wasn't being sold, good landlord etc. Council offered them a 1 bed flat just because she had been on the waiting list for 8 years. They took it. In the meantime my 18 year old brother was sleeping on my living room floor having been kicked out of home and the council were telling us they couldn't do anything to help him. We got evicted when I was pregnant, couldn't afford much as I can't work due to disability, council were useless and we ended up going private again to a nightmare landlord then moved again to a place with horrendous damp with a young baby, so grab the chance whilst you have it. I would have killed for a secure, low rent HA place years ago.

Charis1 Mon 11-May-15 21:26:49

This is what council houses are for

fiveacres Mon 11-May-15 21:28:00

Absolutely not being remotely unreasonable. Social housing exists for society; you are part of society ergo you are entitled to it. The very best of luck to you. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now