To take such a big risk ?

(17 Posts)
What2donowandthen Mon 11-May-15 13:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuelingFanjo Mon 11-May-15 13:49:04

I've often thought about doing this and am waiting to get redundancy so I can. No advice but following out of interest.

TheJiminyConjecture Mon 11-May-15 13:50:04

How long is the placement? Could you use holiday from your job to attend?

PurpleCrazyHorse Mon 11-May-15 13:55:00

How long a placement do you need? Does it have to be one day a week (or similar) or could you do it in blocks?

Could you use annual leave for the time off rather than reduce your hours? Could you ask to work flexibly for a year to enable you to work more hours and then take the time back for the placement?

Could your DH do more hours to make up the difference (can you do the drop offs/pick ups instead on your placement days or could you utilise breakfast/after school clubs?). Does this new job pay the same as your old job, just wondering if you'll still need DH to do more hours to balance the budget and therefore continue to be paying out for childcare before/after school.

If it's something like a TA job, they can be difficult to get, and in our school they tend to go to parents (mostly mums) who've been helping at the school for ages and then have gone on to do a TA qualification.

Eva50 Mon 11-May-15 13:55:05

Could you take unpaid leave?

CupidStuntSurvivor Mon 11-May-15 13:56:51

I was in the same position (though it's nursing I want to go in to).

I waited it out. I was made redundant while on mat leave and took it as an opportunity to do an access course. That said, I'm a single parent so was going to end up on benefits either way. It might be worth talking your options over with a careers advisor at your local college.

PurpleSwift Mon 11-May-15 13:59:23

Look at all options that enable you to do it. You cannot continue as you are and you'll regret forcing yourself to push through like this when you could be doing something about it now.

Tanith Mon 11-May-15 14:03:19

Are you sure it needs to be a nursery or school? I've had two Early Years students using my childminding setting as a placement: might be much more flexible.

Quitelikely Mon 11-May-15 14:04:40

Lots of nurseries consider untrained staff and offer to put them through NVQ whilst on the job. Have you been looking for vacancies?

What2donowandthen Mon 11-May-15 14:06:05

What2donowandthen Mon 11-May-15 14:07:53

What2donowandthen Mon 11-May-15 14:13:01

AwfulBeryl Mon 11-May-15 14:18:12

How old are your dc ?
Childcare might get a bit easier when they get to school, could your dp look at full time work then?
Could you wait till then ?

SomewhereIBelong Mon 11-May-15 16:08:54

take care- apprenticeship minimum wage is not the same as standard minimum wage!
which is £2.73 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship

8angle Mon 11-May-15 16:16:17

If you really hate your job and you dread getting up in the morning because of it, you should do everything you can to change it. You know what you want to do and how to do it. Yes it will be difficult, and I am afraid I have no practical advice, but you only get one go at life, so if you have a plan, even if it is a risk, go for it!

Leeds2 Mon 11-May-15 16:22:34

I do know of two people who started work as TAs without any qualifications (they had degrees, but nothing to do with childcare) and studied for their Level 3 and 2 on the job. Their actual job was their placement, iyswim.

Are you in a position to save up a bit? If so, could you give yourself 12 months to save a financial buffer to help cover the drop in wages when you go part-time? You can then make the mental shift to going to work to further your own goals i.e. to save up enough to go part time, which makes getting out of bed in the morning a bit easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now