AIBU to worry about the money my mum sends?

(9 Posts)
CheekyBrunette Sun 10-May-15 09:25:24

I'm not a British citizen yet but I've been studying and working here for a few years now.

I'm on a work permit and I pay taxes on my income through the PAYE system.

Occasionally, my mum will send me money from overseas for holidays etc(yes, I'm very lucky :-))

She's obviously paid taxes on her income in her country before sending anything to me.

So my question is, do I need to pay tax on the money she sends me?

I've got friends in similar situations who assure me that I don't need to, but I'm not 100% sure.

If I need to pay tax on that money she sends over about twice a year, then I'm more than happy to do it.

So this is not me asking for ways to avoid the tax, just asking if anyone knows whether I am required to pay tax on that money or not.

AlternativeTentacles Sun 10-May-15 09:26:29

No, of course not. She sends it as a gift, not as income.

Smoorikins Sun 10-May-15 09:28:40

Absolutely not. You get taxed on earnings, not on gifts.

momtothree Sun 10-May-15 09:29:13

Agree its a gift. No different to sending you a pair of earings. If you spend it here the economy benefits from that.

mummytime Sun 10-May-15 09:29:13

No it's a gift. If you are ever concerned then contact HMRC, who are on the whole quite nice people and would reassure you about this, and would help you declare any income you did need to declare.

CheekyBrunette Sun 10-May-15 09:31:25

Well, there have been a few times I might have used that money to pay off some bills as well! grin

But thank you for the reassurances! I'm less stressed about it all now

Smoorikins Sun 10-May-15 09:36:30

What you use the money for doesn't change the fact it was a gift smile

momtothree Sun 10-May-15 09:37:34

Put it this way - your bills are taxed - food and clothing are taxed so is food and holidays, you are hardly not taxed on it.

CheekyBrunette Sun 10-May-15 10:03:30

Ok, that makes perfect sense.

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now