Talk

Advanced search

to think that we're being a bit thick spending all our money on cosmetics

(145 Posts)
southeastastra Sat 09-May-15 23:37:45

and shit

really who cares if we just wear jeans and a t shirt every day.

we're crackers spending £££ on fashion

WorraLiberty Sat 09-May-15 23:43:27

When you say 'we', do you mean you?

I probably spend about £10/£15 per year on cosmetics

I wear jeans and t shirts most days and smarter clothes if I have somewhere particular to go.

Cooroo Sat 09-May-15 23:43:40

I never buy make up and spend little on clothes. Still skint!

southeastastra Sat 09-May-15 23:44:20

blimey do you

msgrinch Sat 09-May-15 23:45:42

I spent £30 today on cosmetics. I earn my salary, I'll spend it how I like. smile

AgentZigzag Sat 09-May-15 23:47:19

I wear a t shirt and jeans every day and wear make up.

But I don't spend shit loads on either.

Not sure what that says about me or how it tallies in to your thread.

I can't get my head round the decisions people make to spend £100s on (seemingly shit) handbags and shoes, but then they must have money to burn so why the fuck not eh?

SoMuchToBits Sat 09-May-15 23:47:49

I spend a small amount on clothes each year (usually to replace stuff that has worn out).

I don't really buy cosmetics. The toiletries I buy are as follows. Toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap (including handsoap), shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, sun cream, shaving gel. That's about it.

Dublinlass Sat 09-May-15 23:48:49

I spend a fortune on make up and shit as you would say!! I walked past woman selling freeze frame, she told me it was same as botox and only 70euro so of course I bought it and it doesn't bloody work. I'm a sucker for every gimmack going sad

AntiHop Sat 09-May-15 23:48:54

Yanbu. I don't wear make up and I must have saved a fortune. Also avoided lots of unnecessary plastic going into landfill and saved the petrol of lorries delivering the cosmetics to shops.

WorraLiberty Sat 09-May-15 23:48:56

Yeah, why the 'blimey' though? confused

I look great in jeans and t shirts (personal opinion)

I don't wear make up every day

If I'm going somewhere nice or different, I'll dress up a bit and slap some make up on if I feel like it.

prepperpig Sat 09-May-15 23:50:05

I wear make up every day (and a fair bit of it) but the stuff lasts for ages so I don't spend much on it each year. How much are you spending?

Notso Sat 09-May-15 23:50:11

I don't spend £££ on cosmetics and fashion and I do mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt.
I probably spend about £20 tops on cosmetics a year.

Stinkersmum Sat 09-May-15 23:52:47

I don't wear make up every day. But I do spend money on face care. Clothes wise I wear what's clean and fits. Being 6'2 doesn't give me a lot of choice. Being 6'2 and pregnant gives me even less.....

Lavenderice Sat 09-May-15 23:59:33

Well in my professional life jeans and a t-shirt would not go down well. There's no rule on make-up but I wear it everyday and I spend a fair bit on it. My money, my choice.

NightsOfGethsemane Sun 10-May-15 00:05:02

I look nice in jeans and a T shirt. Can't wear them to work though.

I don't spend a fortune on make up - tinted moisturiser, some mascara and a bit of lip balm and I'm good to go. I do spend more money on face serums and nice perfume but so what? It's my money.

Bair Sun 10-May-15 00:05:58

I don't wear any make up.

I hope anyone who does wears it because they like it/enjoy it/want to. We're all beautiful, how you chose to display your beauty does not make you thick or smart.

If you don't like it, stop.

In my experience you have a brief period of people asking if you're unwell as they get used to the fact that you're not wearing blusher, your eyes aren't naturally framed by spiky lashes and your lips aren't a different colour every day. Then things calm down. grin

bakingaddict Sun 10-May-15 00:07:48

Who's spending all their money on cosmetics and shit. Surely people spend whatever they can afford. I used to not bother wearing makeup but as I'm getting older I feel I need to and actually like looking a bit more polished instead of always looking tired

Koalafications Sun 10-May-15 00:10:20

Oh, this is awkward. You do realise that everyone isn't the same as you, right?

Smoorikins Sun 10-May-15 00:12:39

If anyone spends all their money on cosmetics and shit, I agree they are a bit thick.

I don't know anyone that does that though.

bettythebuilder Sun 10-May-15 00:28:14

I spend money on makeup (not all my money, though!) because I'm not particularly attractive, and have uneven colouring and often spotty skin. (spots and wrinkles- what fresh hell is that?!). I also work with the public and I don't want to scare customers away. I look better with make-up on. I couldn't wear jeans and t shirts to work, and anyway I like frocks.

CuttedUpPear Sun 10-May-15 00:31:38

Don't include me in your generalisation.
I have my cosmetic spending well within budget thank you.

ShakesBootyFlabWobbles Sun 10-May-15 00:32:09

I wear make up about 10 times a year. Your survey group must have been in the ground floor of a department store if you think 'we're' spending loads on cosmetics.

Lweji Sun 10-May-15 00:41:26

I'd agree regarding the stuff I buy and end up hardly wearing.

But I have spent a bit on jeans that actually fit my arse.

And dresses are cooler than jeans and a t-shirt. smile

YourKidsYourRulesHunXxx Sun 10-May-15 00:51:39

I enjoy both wearing and shopping for makeup. Im going to be dead and buried one day so I might as well spent some of my money on crap

CountryMummy1 Sun 10-May-15 00:54:04

I made a decision to stop wearing make up when my daughter was born as I imagined myself explaining to her what make up was....something that I wore because I was not happy with how I looked naturally?? And decided that it went against what I wanted to teach her about self confidence. It has been very freeing I must say. I have more confidence bizarrely and I no longer worry about how people perceive me. My daughter doesn't even yet know that make up exists and long may it continue smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now