To hate nicknames??

(82 Posts)
CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 08-May-15 23:25:45

And by nicknames I don't mean Bobby or Bob for Robert, or Bill, or Will, or Jimmy, Or Jay...etc or anything relating to the name the person has, but nicknames that reveal nothing about what the person's name actually is??

I have a few acquaintances and friends of friends that have the daftest nicknames... I won't write them but they are as stupid as "pork pie man" or "Grinder" "screwdriver" or... I don't know, anything fucking stupid...

If I get introduced to them or hear people talking about them, I'm just completely put off and think "how immature" (These are all people aged 25 plus)

I'm being unreasonable aren't I, people can call themselves what the hell they want...

Still annoys me though!!

lunalelle Fri 08-May-15 23:32:00

I just love the idea of 'Pork Pie man'.

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 08-May-15 23:32:52

Haha unfortunately it wasn't that specific name, not food related!

KingJoffreyFanciesDarylDixon Fri 08-May-15 23:34:34

Ooo, I know a 'Peanut', a 'Pink', a 'Haggis' and a 'Gruff'.

Probably loads more. I'll have a think.

Immature? Meh.

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 08-May-15 23:36:29

King - As I said I'm probably being unreasonable, but I do find them immature, just use your bloody name!

I'd struggle calling anyone those names without being annoyed for having to.

I have a real problem haha

smile

Bunbaker Fri 08-May-15 23:39:55

We have two guys at work with the same name, so the boss has given them nicknames so we can differentiate them from each other. They sit opposite each other and if someone calls out their real name they both look up, so nicknames it is.

KingJoffreyFanciesDarylDixon Fri 08-May-15 23:40:10

Nah, you're entitled to your opinion.

They got these nicknames when we were all young. Then they the hit their thirties, become parents, get serious jobs and start saying, "Actually, could you call me Colin?"

Er, no. Too used to your nickname, sorry!!

grin

fiveacres Fri 08-May-15 23:41:13

Honestly, I find nicknames a bit odd generally. Natural shortening of names is one thing, but when people have a baby and choose a name like, say, charlotte, with the explicit purpose of calling her Lottie, I find just a touch strange. Like on baby names when people automatically suggest nicknames you can have with a name ... Maybe it's just me grin The name I've chosen for my baby is one with so many possibilities as a nickname; I daresay it'll be shortened, but not by me!
grin

fiveacres Fri 08-May-15 23:42:07

But my brother was known by his mates as Cheesey hmm

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 08-May-15 23:44:21

A friend of a friend (of a friend) has a mate called 'Spaz'. Another guy called himself 'Sparky'. I do find it beyond juvenile, especially anyone over the age of about 15 who chooses to call themselves as such. Don't care if it makes me a snobby cow grin.

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 08-May-15 23:48:13

Obviously two people with the same name something must be done, but doesn't have to be a daft name can be something relating to their own name.

charlotte, with the explicit purpose of calling her Lottie, I find just a touch strange Completely agree with you fiveacres but that bit REALLY strikes a chord with me. My 4 month old has a long first name, say it's "Henrietta" and we named her specifically because we love that name. MIL decided she doesn't and she is now her "Hetty" which I HATE, and the whole side of her family send us card, personilsed baby things...etc with the name Hetty, some actually think that's her name. (That's not her name) But yes naming someone with the specific intention of it being something different is a little odd! smile

Haha @ cheesey

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 08-May-15 23:49:04

MrsGently Yep these are all self-named nicknames too that are currently annoying me!

fiveacres Fri 08-May-15 23:53:02

Coffee - after "growing out of" (ie begging his mates to stop!) calling him Cheesey my brother became known as 'small'! There were lots of 'Freds' (not real name) so brother became 'Small Fred.' He wasn't notably small, just smaller than Big Fred who was built like the proverbial brick shithouse grin (lovely bloke mind you!)

That must drive you mad WRT 'Hetty.'

CoffeeAndBiscuitsPlease Fri 08-May-15 23:59:55

At least his name is still involved in the nickname I suppose? smile

It drives me more than mad, choosing a nickname for my child that I hate, and then everyone else uses it because they think a. it's something I must do because no one is rude enough to nickname your child for you and 2. it's cute... lol :/ arrrgh! But that's another thread ;)

elQuintoConyo Sat 09-May-15 00:02:40

I have known:

Johnny Clueless (real name something like Dave Smith).

Maracas (real name Pete).

Berry (real name Bill).

Big Tits (real name Sharon. Who actually encourages it. I just could not call her that.

The men were at uni (er... so that's... 17-ish years ago! Crikeyness!), and Big Tits is 46.

<clutches pearls>

Is it still bad form if one's father still uses your per name(s) and you're over 40? blush

MartyMaraschino Sat 09-May-15 00:05:31

Men always have multiple Pauls in their life. There'll be Football Paul, Fat Paul, Jingle Bells Paul, and U Bend Paul.

ollieplimsoles Sat 09-May-15 00:08:23

I know a guy who gave himself a nickname in his late teens (think something like 'sparky') he had it tattooed on his arm and insisted we all call him it. He's now 40, works in insurance, but still insists he is young and wild and we all should call him sparky, even though most of the others in the group are considerably younger than him, have kids and are settled down.
We now all really just want to call him his real name, as a grown ass man with that nickname he insisted on himself just sounds so silly!

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 09-May-15 00:13:35

Hope you are not Welsh OP. Welsh people love their nicknames and keep them all their lives. Quite often they pass them on to their children.

MartyMaraschino Sat 09-May-15 00:16:46

There's something sad about someone picking their own nickname. Nicknames should be thrust upon you.

MartyMaraschino Sat 09-May-15 00:17:08

What kind of nicknames do Welsh people go for?

Talismania Sat 09-May-15 00:27:15

Everyone calls me a name that isn't my name, but it's still a normal name. It has letters in common with my actual name but isn't a 'standard' shortening of the name (something along the lines of 'Harley' instead of 'Charlotte', or 'Adele' instead of 'Madeline'). I started using it when I was a kid and have continued all my life, because I hate my real name.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 09-May-15 00:37:05

Well, in my village we had the obvious ones like Tom Big House and Dai the Milk, to differentiate people with the same Christian name, and also descriptors like Jack Cochyn. But our neighbours had ones they'd had since school, and my parents called their sons by the same names too. Things like Chunky or Tiger.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 09-May-15 00:41:06

Actually, thinking about it, I am 50, and if I go home to my village and bump into someone I went to school with, odds on they will call me my school nickname.

MartyMaraschino Sat 09-May-15 00:59:33

That's interesting. I didn't know nicknames were such a part of Welsh culture.

ibitemythumbatyou Sat 09-May-15 01:21:31

I didn't realise that from the moment you reach 25 you have to be 100% completely sensible and mature.

Eurgh. Glad I don't live in your world OP. YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now