Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you would appeal this?

(51 Posts)
KenAdams Fri 08-May-15 10:23:47

DH was driving the other night and pressed his brakes to stop at a red light before a roundabout. A bottle of water rolled from the back to under his brakes and as a result he couldn't press them. By the time he removed it and stopped, he was in the middle of the roundabout so obviously had to move out of the way and he was snapped by a camera. The notice of prosecution has arrived today. Would you appeal this?

londonrach Fri 08-May-15 10:28:35

He very lucky he didnt cause an accident. What if he couldnt have removed the bottle and had crashed the car. He wasnt in control of the car!

FenellaFellorick Fri 08-May-15 10:30:09

No, I would accept it.

Madlizzy Fri 08-May-15 10:30:11

Not a chance in hell. It's his responsibility to ensure that there's nothing rolling around in the footwell before he drives.

SoupDragon Fri 08-May-15 10:30:16

I doubt he would get anywhere TBH.

WorraLiberty Fri 08-May-15 10:33:11

No, the driver is responsible for ensuring the contents of the car don't cause any safety hazards.

madreloco Fri 08-May-15 10:34:29

On what grounds? He did the thing he's been done for. Pay up.

PlantCurtain Fri 08-May-15 10:34:55

It's a strict liability offence so usually that wouldn't do him any good. If he's a totter (i.e. at risk of being banned if he gets another 3 points) then it might be worth raising it but as others have said it's his responsibility to make sure there's nothing that might get under his brakes.

If I were him I'd take the points and be very grateful that there wasn't a serious accident, to be honest.

LAGWAFIS Fri 08-May-15 10:38:40

A friend of mine was killed when we were teenagers after an orange rolled under his brake pedal

Your dh was very very lucky to have not caused an accident.

AuntyMag10 Fri 08-May-15 10:40:05

Are you serious? It's entirely your she fault. Boggling how you would even consider this.

pudcat Fri 08-May-15 10:42:56

And what if there had been other traffic and he had killed someone. Serves him right to be prosecuted.

CrystalHaze Fri 08-May-15 10:45:34

Yeah. Appeal. The manufacturers of the water bottle should take full responsibility for not envisioning this precise scenario and making their bottle design less lethal.

FFS. Grow up, take responsibility, and be thankful that the price you're paying isn't considerably greater.

wigglesrock Fri 08-May-15 10:47:19

Oh for the love of God, it was his fault, it's his responsibility to secure items in the car.

ilovesooty Fri 08-May-15 10:50:15

His fault, so no.

AlpacaMyBags Fri 08-May-15 11:29:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RightSideOfWrong Fri 08-May-15 11:31:53

No.

Although I wonder if driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving would cover this? It's pretty dangerous.

WoodliceCollection Fri 08-May-15 11:32:08

Definitely not!
Pay any fine as soon as possible so as not to increase charges, admit guilt/stupidity, and clean out the car.

Superexcited Fri 08-May-15 11:34:13

He is lucky to not be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving. If the police had witnessed him being unable to brake due to a water bottle being trapped under his foot he could have been in serious trouble. Consider that he has got off very lightly.

Chunkymonkey79 Fri 08-May-15 11:42:47

It was unfortunate to happen where it did, but it was entirely his responsibility to ensure the car was safe to use with no distractions or obstructions before setting off.

My car mat shifted up and got stuck under my pedals once, i pulled over and removed it altogether. He should have moved the bottle to the glove box/seat pocket/cup holder to ensure it wasn't bouncing around the car.

I wouldn't appeal for this, no way.

SoupDragon Fri 08-May-15 11:49:14

OTOH, he was fortunate it didn't happen on approaching a pedestrian crossing with a pedestrian on it.

Trumpity Fri 08-May-15 12:16:04

Take responsibility (well, him) for goodness sake.
Appeal it by telling them what actually happened was worse than they thought?

sparechange Fri 08-May-15 12:17:52

Good grief! YABVVVU
Firstly, a water bottle can't roll from the back unless you've got very, very strange car seats.
So he was driving with a bottle of water rolling around in the drivers foot well. I actually can't get my head around how he didn't realise how idiotic and dangerous that was before he drove off, let alone before he had to brake.

londonrach Fri 08-May-15 12:19:52

I think if he appeals and gave the reason he could be in alot of trouble. Please get him to clear the car up today! He could have killed someone or himself.

SavoyCabbage Fri 08-May-15 12:20:20

No. I would consider it a lucky escape.

pilates Fri 08-May-15 12:31:48

No

YABVU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now