Talk

Advanced search

To ask our nanny to run fewer personal errands during work time, or at least ones which are closer to home?

(10 Posts)
seethewoodforthetrees Thu 07-May-15 16:44:59

I obviously don't mind her popping into the bank or post office or or the chemist etc while she and DD are out and about - that's just normal life and it's important for DD to learn about it. However, yesterday, she and DD spent a large proportion of the day going back to the area of London where our nanny lives for her to pick up something she had left with a local repair shop and today they have done the same for her to vote.

Obviously voting is really important and it's good for DD to see it, but she does finish work in time to vote after work. She is going out with friends instead - obviously it is totally up to her what she does with her free time, and that's none of my business, but she did have that option. She also had last week off work so I was a bit surprised that she had to run this sort of errand on her first day back yesterday. I can't help thinking think that this will have been two days, back-to-back, where DD is stuck in the buggy on a hot bus for long periods of time and is probably pretty bored. However, I don't want to be unreasonable. Do you all think I am - please do tell me if so? DD loves her and I recognise that she is generally very good at her job. This isn't really like her which is why I was a bit surprised. She's usually super-professional. I definitely don't want to fall out with her, hence why I would appreciate some wider perspective. Would I be unreasonable to ask her not to do such long trips with DD for her personal errands?

poocatcherchampion Thu 07-May-15 16:46:33

Couldn't she have done yesterday's errand today while she was over there?

I'd say something - mildly.

Littlemonstersrule Thu 07-May-15 16:47:50

I'd be stopping most personal errands, she is paid to do a job and should be doing it.

sparechange Thu 07-May-15 16:48:01

Couldn't she have done both with one trip today?
I think I would say something along the lines of 'I know this has been an exceptional week regarding you having to go to London, but I just wanted to check this isn't going to be a regular thing, because I'm not sure it is the best way for DD to spend the day, especially when [activities/nice weather] are happening'

ConfusedInBath Thu 07-May-15 16:54:20

Yanbu at all, this would bother me too.

She's not employed to sort her personal stuff out.

I agree, a gentle but direct word is needed

WyrdByrd Thu 07-May-15 16:58:50

If it's unlike her and she's otherwise excellent I probably would make a mental note but let it go for the time being.

If it's happening again within the next few weeks then definitely worth having a word.

Having said that I have no experience of being/having a nanny!

ApocalypseThen Thu 07-May-15 17:03:00

I don't think it would bother me - do you want your child inside in the house all day or experiencing normal life?

MissMuesli Thu 07-May-15 17:09:22

Well its only 2 days this has happened and you say she is normally very professional. I wouldnt say anything at the moment, although I would keep a quiet eye and see 0if it carries on. If it did then that's when I would say something!

ConfusedInBath Thu 07-May-15 17:14:31

Read the OP again apocalypse it's apparrent that the OP doesn't want her DD stuck in the house all day.

She just doesn't want her being ferried around in a buggy whilst her nanny sorts her stuff out for a large chunk of the day.

Which I can't imagine many of us being thrilled about?

SaucyJack Thu 07-May-15 17:17:45

Rather depends what else there is for them to do, and how much your DD does(n't) enjoy mooching about just seeing the world I s'pose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now