Talk

Advanced search

So much for Farage's denials of homophobia

(12 Posts)
Icimoi Wed 06-May-15 22:26:35

From a best man's speech made by him:

"But the good news for us who are smokers is that we are far better off here than if we had been at Michael Barrymore’s house.
‘Because there they removed all the ashtrays on the basis that now they chuck all the fags in the pool' "

Disgusting little man.

Frostedloop Wed 06-May-15 23:08:17

At least he's fairly open about it, rather than the parties who actively protected child molesters for years.

Dont' like him, would never vote UKIP but at least he's stupid enough to say this stuff in public.

UterusUterusGhali Wed 06-May-15 23:10:18

Him and his cronies are a bunch of racist, homophobic twats. The very worst of people you get stuck to at a wedding/the pub.

It beggars belief they're taken seriously.

VelvetRose Wed 06-May-15 23:33:40

I agree Uterus.

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 07-May-15 07:12:14

They're taken seriously because this sort of crap is bubbling under the surface for lots of people. How dare they say we don't need "political correctness" or as I like to call it "being polite."

How dare they threaten to take away equality laws on the basis that their party is not prejudiced in anyway. sad

VelvetRose Thu 07-May-15 07:39:17

That's exactly it Lumpy and it makes me feel really depressed that so many people support them.

skinnyabc Thu 07-May-15 09:40:34

Use your vote to help stop ukip. No matter what you do today vote!!!

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 07-May-15 17:15:13

Damn straight skinny.

threegoingonthirty Thu 07-May-15 17:52:05

It's a joke that has been doing the rounds for years. Lots of people make off colour jokes and it doesn't reflect their true feelings.

I make jokes about Jewish mothers. Does that make me anti-semitic? might be a bit tricky if it does as I am personally a Jewish mother.

SoupDragon Thu 07-May-15 17:55:37

I make jokes about Jewish mothers. Does that make me anti-semitic? might be a bit tricky if it does as I am personally a Jewish mother.

Farage isn't gay though.

If you made the jokes without being a Jewish mother yourself, it would make you insensitive and possibly offensive. People who part of the group which is the centre of the joke are allowed to poke fun at themselves.

VelvetRose Thu 07-May-15 18:03:58

I totally disagree threegoinginthirty. I think, almost without a shadow of a doubt, that someone prepared to make such a tasteless, homophobic joke is in fact homophobic. I'd say the same about someone who makes racist jokes, if you weren't even slightly racist you would know it was inappropriate and offensive.

A gay person making a joke about gay people or similar is totally different.

Coyoacan Thu 07-May-15 18:16:21

Farage isn't gay though

Exactly, we can make jokes at our own expense as much as we want, but making jokes at the expense of others is rude and prejudiced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now