In the time it took you to read this two more people visited a food bank

(327 Posts)
Hannahouse Wed 06-May-15 20:35:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Wed 06-May-15 20:38:56

It's a disgrace that such things are needed. Especially as the rich grow richer. angry

corgiology Wed 06-May-15 22:16:02

Are food banks open this late at night?

MeggyMooAndTinkerToo Wed 06-May-15 22:19:50

FFS food banks aren't open at this time of night. I'm personally sick of seeing threads on AIBU in relation to the election. Isn't there a separate area if people want to debate election parties? It's all getting boring now.

exmrs Wed 06-May-15 22:20:22

A story that will stick with me as how desperate people are getting is a foodbank volunteer had an initial interview with a lady who had been sanctioned , she took her to the food shelves to get the food and saw the lady was inspecting the canned food .
She wrongly assumed the lady was checking the brands of tins but then saw the lady pull open a ring pull on a can of beans and eat the beans with her fingers cold.
She was starving, she hadn't been checking brands she was looking for ring pulls on the tins.
This lady had young children.

This is Britain today

ilovesooty Wed 06-May-15 22:24:07

When I took a client to a food bank we had to stop off on the way home to buy her a tin opener. A lot of the economy brand donations aren't in ring pull tins.

MrsNextDoor Wed 06-May-15 22:28:17

More than 900,000 used foodbanks 2013-2014....in 2010-2011 it was 60.000...bit of a large leap eh? Why? That's just terrifying...the people who use food banks are interviewed to make sure they really are in need...so you can be sure that 900,000 people were in absolute poverty during 2013 and 2014....900.000 people!!

exmrs Wed 06-May-15 22:34:51

What's even worse is you can't use the food banks more than a certain number of times , I think it's 3 times.
So the figures would actually be higher if people were allowed to go to food banks during the full period of their sanctions.
It makes me cry the attitude of people today thinking people deserve this.

ilovesooty Wed 06-May-15 22:36:38

Yes that's right. Their use is limited.

2rebecca Wed 06-May-15 22:37:26

Your AIBU or are you just wanting to show how caring and virtuous you are? Have a medal

Janethegirl Wed 06-May-15 22:41:06

Yes Corgio that was my first thought too, I'm bad sad

MamainMilan Wed 06-May-15 22:42:58

The food banks is a major issue and totally informs my vote. The way David Cameron and the Tories have whipped up hate and disdain for the poor and needy in this country is a bloody disgrace.

The Tories don't express regret - they don't even bloody accept it's going on.

Nasty people who do NOT care about the majority of the electorate one bit.

MrsNextDoor Wed 06-May-15 22:45:32

exmrs I didn't know that! And the info I looked at says it gives 3 days worth of food....what do people DO!?

exmrs Wed 06-May-15 22:45:47

Corgio and janethegirl the answer is no food banks aren't open now but someone somewhere is starving to death at this moment in time.

Janethegirl Wed 06-May-15 22:47:13

I'm going to vote Conservative (I think) as I do not trust Labour to not fuck up the economy again.
A good strong economy will eventually improve living standards for everyone.

exmrs Wed 06-May-15 22:48:33

Mrsnextdoor they either starve or steal food or go looking for food in bins.
In my town after shops close it is a common sight to see people around shop bins

MrsNextDoor Wed 06-May-15 22:48:47

Jane have a rethink. That's not a good choice. What are your exact fears re; Labour's plans?

MrsNextDoor Wed 06-May-15 22:50:57

exmrs I should have known that sad my neighbour is a single parent...she works part time but has to pay quite a lot for childcare...she does get some rent help and child tax credits but her earnings are so low once the childcare has been paid for...she told me last week that on the day before payday she has always run out of money and so steals a pasty from the corner shop for her lunch to take to work.

sad I have been thinking of just asking her to tea on those days but don't want her to think I'm being "charitable".

Bair Wed 06-May-15 22:51:02

And the info I looked at says it gives 3 days worth of food....what do people DO!?

If we've got food in we give it even after they've had their 9 days worth of food. If we haven't got enough we point them to one of the other 16 foodbanks in our town.

ilovesooty Wed 06-May-15 22:51:27

MrsNextDoor unfortunately they struggle to eat after they've used up their quota.
Or in the case of some of my clients, they shoplift and end up in prison. Only last week one of the probation officers refused to recall a client who'd shoplifted food as his benefits hadn't been processed. Unfortunately his health deteriorated and he ended up in hospital. sad

Theimpossiblegirl Wed 06-May-15 22:52:24

The food banks may be shut this time of night but people, including children, will have gone to bed hungry tonight. This is hardly the sign of a well run country.

Janethegirl Wed 06-May-15 22:52:43

I would never vote labour. Lying bastard scum.... Just wait, Ed Milliband will be in bed with SNP in a coalition within the next week unless Conservatives get a majority.

msgrinch Wed 06-May-15 22:53:27

It makes me so sad. 900,000 that's disgusting.

MrsNextDoor Wed 06-May-15 22:54:28

Jane You sound like a typical charming tory. Lovely grasp of language.

JaceLancs Wed 06-May-15 22:55:37

I recently had to refer someone to the food bank as they had been left for a month without money due to a bureaucratic error with their universal credit claim
During that month they got 2 food parcels each amounting to approx 5 days food if you don't mind living on cereal, bread, soup and beans
They also got credit for electricity of £20 as otherwise they would have had to eat it all cold
How they were supposed to manage for the other 21 days I have no idea
Don't forget they are also now trying to pay a months rent arrears, council tax etc etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now