Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not know what the heck to do with a clutch bag?

(20 Posts)
LeggyBlondeNE Wed 06-May-15 15:52:15

DH bought me some fancy perfume for my birthday which came with a clutch bag. (We'll leave aside for now the story of how he proudly wrapped up the clutch bag box and didn't notice the small box of perfume in the same carrier bag, and was convinced they'd sold him the wrong item when I opened said clutch bag...)

What the hell am I supposed to do with a clutch bag? Do I hold onto it at all times when out and about? Is it for wielding at unsuspecting revellers who are in my way?

What the hell is wrong with putting straps on things?!

juneau Wed 06-May-15 15:54:47

Yup, you clutch it! That's what a 'clutch' bag is. Stupid things, if you ask me, since I never have enough hands as it is and a bag that cannot be slung over my shoulder is no use to me. Tell him how much you love it and then go and and exchange it for something you DO love. Do you have the receipt, by any chance?

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Wed 06-May-15 16:02:33

Clutch it! Then put it down and mis-place it when you realise how impractical it is.

sparechange Wed 06-May-15 16:02:52

You clutch it...!

Some of them come with an optional strap so you can fling it over your shoulder, but they are really designed for when you are at a fancy do, and you carry it with you and then leave it under your seat. It isn't something for taking to the pub or out shopping

MaxPepsi Wed 06-May-15 16:04:32

Clutch bags are great. I love them.

Straps can spoil a bag/outfit.

I'm guessing the bag was a freebie, so not able to exchange.

Thurlow Wed 06-May-15 16:07:17

If it's got a strap, it's great for slinging over the pushchair handles when you only need to take your keys and phone out with you...

LeggyBlondeNE Wed 06-May-15 16:11:23

Bag was indeed a freebie - it's actually TWO clutch bags, one which fits inside the front pocket of the other, but neither of which have straps. Neither of them have a small inner pocket such as would take a credit card and some money either.

They're very pretty (the kind of dusky pink silk that even a pink-hater like me can find aesthetically pleasing) but so completely useless to me that I'm concluding clutch bags are all about appearance and nothing to do with function. In which case I'd rather forgo a bag completely and stick with shoving my phone and keys in my bra...

vindscreenviper Wed 06-May-15 16:16:47

Is it white leather op? I'm looking for a clutch for a wedding next month, I've found a lovely dress that will just look wrong with a shoulder strap pulling at it. And I don't like the bags with short handles that you carry in the crook of your elbow, I have one and never use it because think I look like a t-rex walking around with my forearm jutting forward.

vindscreenviper Wed 06-May-15 16:19:54

Oh, and I'll be kicking it under the table and forgetting about it at the reception. For a normal night out in Durham or Newcastle I wouldn't trust myself not to lose a clutch blush

GGabcd Wed 06-May-15 16:20:38

Use it for a make up bad?

GGabcd Wed 06-May-15 16:21:06

Bag.

weddingbelle1005 Wed 06-May-15 16:24:44

In my uni days I was so used to dancing around/clubbing with a clutch bag in my right hand that I actually lost the ability to dance without one!!
If I was ever dancing clutch-less, my right hand kind of floated/hovered uselessly (as if without gravity!) looking separate from the rest of me!
No fear of that now, my dancing days are done and I carry a veritable suitcase of baby paraphernalia with me at all times!!!grin

motherofmonster Wed 06-May-15 16:25:04

Either clutch, Or practice holding it under arm , will feel odd at first but once used to it it means you can still use both hands.

I love a nice Clutch bag but always seems to carry too much crap with me to get away with one

DinosaursRoar Wed 06-May-15 16:29:09

it's just a big purse. Pack in it only a few things, money, card, phone, keys, lippy. That's it. Don't carry too much crap or else it's harder to carry (even if it could fit more crap in).

clutch (as per the name suggests) when out, or hold under arm when you need both hands.

Kayakwonder Wed 06-May-15 17:15:29

I love a clutch bag. Never know what to do with my hands when standing around at weddings etc. Champagne in one hand, clutch in the other - problem solved!

LeggyBlondeNE Thu 07-May-15 10:05:09

Ah, see my hands are pretty much constantly in motion whole I'm talking (why yes, my students have commented on this!) Holding a drink is bad enough but taking out my other hand too would leave me mute. I shall look at whether a tasteful wrist strap could be added to the smaller bag, and if not I may pass them on to a more loving home.

viper - no, pink I'm afraid.

rebelfor Thu 07-May-15 10:07:00

I hate carrying one, I gesticulate a lot, especially in drink.

reni1 Thu 07-May-15 12:13:36

They are designed for people who are dieting or trying to stop smoking. One hand for the drink, one for the clutch so you can't eat or smoke.

specialsubject Thu 07-May-15 12:16:58

flog it on ebay if it is worth anything, otherwise charity shop. Useless item for anyone who actually does anything.

normal handbags are irritating enough (I buy clothes with pockets), so why you would want to have one hand not available for use is beyond me.

Puddingsandpiglets Thu 07-May-15 13:16:34

I'm with you special. If you're only going to take phone and keys with you, then why do you need a bag? Just put them in your pockets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now