Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me what you think about this letter sent home by DCs school

(170 Posts)
Namechange100000 Wed 06-May-15 10:40:59

Sent to all parents at DCs secondary school:
'Dear Parent/ Guardian/ Carer
As part of our continuing work with schools and other partners, aimed at helping safeguard young people, we would like to take this opportunity to remind you that your children can be at risk whenever they attend parties where alcohol is freely available. Some people with a sexual predatory nature can seek to take advantage whenever they find youngsters who are at all vulnerable in those circumstances. We urge you to remind your children to take reasonable steps and use common sense to keep themselves and their friends safe; and encourage them to talk to you.

This isn't an issue for any one community or area. It can affect all young people, and with summer approaching, and celebrations at the end of the exam period, children are ever keener to get out and about. we thought it would be useful to remind you of some potential risks they could face, alongside the many obvious positive activities and opportunities available to them.
Sincerely

(signed) Chief Inspector X Headteacher Y
'
So, sensible warning, or outrageous victim blaming?

GraysAnalogy Wed 06-May-15 10:42:59

Sensible warning.

Heels99 Wed 06-May-15 10:44:21

Sensible warning. No victim blaming at all

Feminine Wed 06-May-15 10:44:31

Sensible warning.
Nothing l don't say when my 16 year old heads out for a party.
We are all more vulnerable when drunk/drinking.
Teens tend to think they are invisible.
Don't tell me it was from your pre - school grin

Feminine Wed 06-May-15 10:45:15

Okay, l've seen the secondary school school bit.

Icimoi Wed 06-May-15 10:45:19

Sensible warning. It doesn't in any way suggest that young people who get pissed are inviting attack, just points out that they may vulnerable; it's akin to advice about protecting your house when you go on holiday.

ilovesooty Wed 06-May-15 10:46:54

I really don't see it as anything other than a sensible warning.

shewept Wed 06-May-15 10:47:10

Unless it was for primary school pupils, i think its entirely reasonable.

Its not victim blaming.

CunfuddledAlways Wed 06-May-15 10:48:03

Can't see any victim blaming there

PotteringAlong Wed 06-May-15 10:48:42

Sensible warning - I couldn't see any victim blaming there.

shewept Wed 06-May-15 10:49:04

it's akin to advice about protecting your house when you go on holiday.

this

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 06-May-15 10:49:20

Sorry, sensible warning here too.

I get what you're saying but I think it is very sensible to warn teenagers that there are people who would deliberately prey on them, because they might not know that. They would be more vulnerable because of their lack of knowledge, so TELLING them would decrease their vulnerability (assuming they paid attention).

GraysAnalogy Wed 06-May-15 10:51:16

Anyone who sees this as victim blaming... well.

Lets not warn our children about how being platic can make them an easy target for predators - the predator shouldn't rape

Lets not warn our children to look both ways on a zebra crossing - the driver shouldn't carry on driving

Warning people, giving them the knowledge or tools they need to protect themselves isn't victim blaming.

I still can't get over how much shit those lads got for inventing the thing that goes into a drink to check if it's been spiked.

SoupDragon Wed 06-May-15 10:51:59

I hate when "victim blaming" is wheeled out whenever anyone suggests taking precautions to try and protect personal safety. Suggesting there are things you can do to minimise risks is not the same as saying it's your fault something happens.

Do we cry "victim blaming!" when anti theft advice is given? Do you leave your front door open and your ipad on the window sill when you go out or do you take precautions to minimise the risk of theft?

WhetherOrNot Wed 06-May-15 10:55:01

I'd NEVER even heard of 'victim blaming' until I joined MN.

SiobhanSharpe Wed 06-May-15 10:55:48

Well, it's not victim blaming but it's comes over as a bit, er, interfering and, well, nanny state-ish. As one PP says, it's pretty much what any parent says as their DCs head out the door, so I'm not sure how necessary it is. and it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to parents who are lacking in feck

WorraLiberty Wed 06-May-15 10:57:59

I'm sorry but I can't see any victim blaming whatsoever confused

Some people with a sexual predatory nature can seek to take advantage whenever they find youngsters who are at all vulnerable in those circumstances. We urge you to remind your children to take reasonable steps and use common sense to keep themselves and their friends safe; and encourage them to talk to you.

I'd be interested in why you might think this is blaming victims OP?

CattyCatCat Wed 06-May-15 10:59:12

Sensible warning.

GraysAnalogy Wed 06-May-15 10:59:57

This isn't even an AIBU grin

SwirlyThingAlert Wed 06-May-15 11:00:42

Sounds perfectly sensible to me.

VelvetRose Wed 06-May-15 11:04:41

Very sensible letter. These are facts. What would be preferable? Pretending that this doesn't happen and that getting really drunk doesn't make people vulnerable?

VelvetRose Wed 06-May-15 11:05:40

Similar to advice about keeping your valuables safe from pick pockets.

AuntyMag10 Wed 06-May-15 11:08:33

It's sounds perfectly sensible to me. Anyone who finds it victim blaming has issues.

rebelfor Wed 06-May-15 11:09:47

Very sensible.

goshdarnit Wed 06-May-15 11:14:32

Very sensible advice, I'd be happy if my teen's school sent this home, as it is an easy opening into a discussion about peoples vulnerabilities when drunk.
It also makes me think that the school are thinking about the whole child, not just as the exam passing machines that often appears to be expected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now