to leave a birthday party half way through?

(39 Posts)
beeslovehoney Mon 04-May-15 11:36:17

Dd has an array of party invites this month, most of them in soft play centres for a couple of hours minimum fuss, easy done..

But today she has an invite for one that is 3 HOURS long... In a hall.. I have no idea why anyone would have a 3 hour party, in a hall for 35 5 year olds that can barely sit still for 5 minutes let alone be occupied by a hall for 3 hours..

So wibu to leave after an hour or so? Claim some kind of international crisis that i need to tend to?

I may be able to make 1.5 hours if they provide coffee (which i doubt)

Heels99 Mon 04-May-15 11:38:12

I think don't go.
It is rude to leave half way through. You don't have to attend all parties you will find as they get older you pick and choose.

Neena28 Mon 04-May-15 11:38:51

I would drop off and leg it. 3 hours of bliss. I would sleep. (Mine are 9 and 14 and I wouldn't do a 3 hour party even now!!)

Nolim Mon 04-May-15 11:39:21

You are already planning to leave early without even knowing what is going to happen??

Figster Mon 04-May-15 11:41:30

I don't think yabu but You might struggle to get your 5yo out early if their friends are staying on

Rinoachicken Mon 04-May-15 11:42:07

How do you know they haven't hired entertainment??

WorraLiberty Mon 04-May-15 11:42:25

I thought you were going to say you had something really important on, and your DC really wants to go to the party.

YABU. It would be rude to leave halfway through because you're anticipating boredom.

Either put up with it or don't go.

bridgetsmummy Mon 04-May-15 11:46:37

Do you have to stay? At that age I would half dropped off and enjoyed 3 hours to myself

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Mon 04-May-15 11:47:54

They probably won't be expected to sit still. The last party I went to in a village hall had a bouncy castle, assault course of soft shapes, craft tables, face painting and they did games too. The kids were busy for the whole time. Don't judge before you get there.
And I think it is a bit rude to leave early unless it is a real emergency.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 04-May-15 11:54:14

I'm not understanding your problem. Do you mean that both you and your dc should leave after an hour? If so, that's really rude. Yabu.
But, why don't you drop and go and enjoy 3 hours free?

WorraLiberty Mon 04-May-15 11:54:17

Yes, unless it's 3 hours of musical statues, I can't see where the sitting still comes in grin

lemonyone Mon 04-May-15 11:57:12

Hang on. Are you worried about your DC being bored, or you being bored.

3 hours is long for a 5 YO, but not impossible in the least.

I don't think it's that rude, BTW to leave a party half way through if you give the parent advance warning that you are double booked that day, but that your DC would still love to come for the first half. But it is rude to up and bugger off half way through.

FeckoffandDie Mon 04-May-15 11:58:16

How old are the children?

If it's one where you have to stay with them, then you could bring a nice gift and then leave after an hour or so, if it's awful. Make a good excuse though so no one is offended. No one will even notice with that many children, probably.

If it's one where you can leave your children then it's not an issue really I suppose.

I really hate the huge village hall, entertainment, noise and screeching type parties. It always descends into utter chaos.

I don't like children's parties anyway though as they are usually a bit like the Grand National...herd instinct, etc etc

I don't see the point at all. I like making the party bags though.

FeckoffandDie Mon 04-May-15 12:00:10

Oh they are 5. In that case you would have to stay I think and therefore yanbu to want to escape after an hour - as long as you bring a gift and pretend to have fun, no one will care.

I did leave a 5yo once at one of these but only because I had awful morning sickness and literally couldn't be there. I think it was a bit wrong to leave him really.

Kampeki Mon 04-May-15 12:03:30

Yabu. Stay for the whole party or don't go at all. It would be rude to piss off half way through, unless you had a genuine emergency.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 04-May-15 12:04:52

Drop and run.

beeslovehoney Mon 04-May-15 12:06:38

Oh poo.. I knew i was unreasonable..

Dd has has a few issues kick starting friendships so i have been ensuring i take her to each one but they are waring a little thin now.

Don't think i could leave her just yet

MyLegIsHaunted Mon 04-May-15 12:07:14

My 5 year old DS went to a 3 hour birthday party on Saturday and had a ball. And that was at the birthday girls house, in the pouring rain so they couldn't even play outside!
The party mum had a whole list of games and crafts taped to the wall that they were going to do and said "if we're not done by 2pm I'll text you to pick him up later" shockgrin
I think you'll have a hard time getting your dd to leave mid party, I'd drop off and pick up if you're allowed.

SilverBirch2015 Mon 04-May-15 12:08:42

Would it be possible to sneak off and sit in your car with a good book for at least part of the time? Or a walk? I'm with you 3hrs with a group of excited 5 year olds sounds like a nightmare.

Viviennemary Mon 04-May-15 12:14:57

I don't think it should be an issue. It's up to the hosts to entertain the children. If they think they can manage great. But it's not your problem. I thin it would be really rude to leave half way through.

juliascurr Mon 04-May-15 13:54:28

go.
it's one afternoon, it's not very considerate to the b'day kid not to
your child will only get better at social interaction with practice
she needs a bit of support

wickedwaterwitch Mon 04-May-15 13:57:43

If you can't drop and run I just wouldn't go - urgh at 3 hours in a hall with loads of 5 yos! I think you can only leave with a good excuse (visitors?) and bribery of your child to come quietly.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 04-May-15 14:03:31

Take a book or a paper. Sit at the side of the hall and occasionally look up at the jolly party japes. Enjoy someone else entertaining your DC for a bit

CrystalHaze Mon 04-May-15 14:08:43

Surely they've got some sort of entertainment planned? Rather than just 3 hours in a hall with nothing to do?

bloodyteenagers Mon 04-May-15 14:11:03

I often do 3 hour kids parties. The kids never want to leave cos they are having fun.. Arts and crafts, party games, cake, having a chat, face painting etc. All takes time..
We will often run over time as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now