Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why people wear gilets?

(62 Posts)
lostinikea Mon 04-May-15 11:16:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LuckyLuckyMe Mon 04-May-15 11:18:44

I agree. I really don't get it. If it's cold why would you want your arms exposed. If it's warm why do you need it at all.

fiveacres Mon 04-May-15 11:19:17

Arms can get in the way on quite a lot of stuff smile

Flingmoo Mon 04-May-15 11:19:43

Agreed, they look ridiculous and seem pointless...

LuckyLuckyMe Mon 04-May-15 11:20:07

If it's a fashion thing then excuse my ignorance. I would have no clue grin

AuntieStella Mon 04-May-15 11:21:09

" If it's warm why do you need it at all."

a) pockets
b) not getting so wet if weather is mixed as I usually don't have anywhere for a brolly.

Philoslothy Mon 04-May-15 11:21:17

If I am mucking out, riding etc I don't want to feel enclosed.

I also wears mine when walking the dogs, I just get too hot in a full jacket.

DuchessofBuffonia Mon 04-May-15 11:22:45

My husband lives in a gilet for 11 months of the year. He has arthritis in his spine and it helps keep his back toasty warm without the rest of him over-heating indoors.

I wear them on dry days in autumn and spring when out walking as I find it helps me regulate my body temperature better.

confusedandemployed Mon 04-May-15 11:24:31

I wear mine loads. I find it's just warm enough for long dog walks and the pockets are handy. I couldn't give a toss if it looks crap, I'm not interested in looking like I stepped out of Vogue when I'm walking the dogs.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 04-May-15 11:25:37

Farmers wear them too.......

NorbertDentressangle Mon 04-May-15 11:25:48

I wear one at work quite often as our office opens directly outdoors and people are coming and going all day so it gets a bit cold in there sometimes. If I wear anything too bulky it just annoys me as it restricts my movements and a coat is a bit impractical to wear in an office!.

Also, being peri-menopausal I seem really susceptible to temperatures and get too hot/too cold at the drop of a hat so find gilets and cardigans more flexible than jumpers and coats as they can be done up/undone to suit and you can still freely use your arms.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 04-May-15 11:27:06

oops posted too soon .... I also spend a bit of time out and about on site, in and out of various buildings, so it's a compromise where I'd be too cold without a coat but too warm with one

FyreFly Mon 04-May-15 11:27:36

I like them as they keep my torso warm whilst leaving my arms unencumbered with bulky outerwear. V useful when doing fieldwork or working with delicate objects in the stores (which arent heated!). Or in the garden, or walking the dogs... Plus they're stuffed with pockets!

I love my gilets (plural!). I have some from Jack Wills and some from Primark smile

getdownshep Mon 04-May-15 11:31:12

I've got four in different colours.
Like Norbert I get hot then cold really quickly so they are easy to layer up and lighter than a jacket when dog walking.

zfactor Mon 04-May-15 11:32:55

Curious to know why it makes sense for riding, but not for anything else that might require non-restrictive movement?

And do you always wear gloves and balaclava? - if not, don't your hands and face get a bit cold?

alwayshavepeckham Mon 04-May-15 11:33:04

I play tennis in mine, I hate having my arms restricted.

however Mon 04-May-15 11:34:30

I wear one under ski gear on really cold days.

Merse Mon 04-May-15 11:34:34

I have a couple, but frankly agree with you. When I am cold my wrists and hands tend to be coldest part of me, but I thought for most people the core mattered most and if that is toasty then the rest follows.

flora717 Mon 04-May-15 11:38:42

I love these for anything involving water on a slightly chilly day (sorting the pond, rock pooling, sand castle building, washing the car) as I remain warm and don't end up with soggy sleeves.

BikeRunSki Mon 04-May-15 11:39:54

I wear a down gilet a lot in cold weather. If my core is warm, then my limbs are generally ok. I often get too hot working/walking outside if I am wearing a warm coat with sleeves. I wear a thin "shell" gilet to keep the wind off and rain out when running or cycling.

Flingmoo Mon 04-May-15 11:43:00

My arms are my chilliest bit though. Hate being cold and having to fold my arms and rub them going "brrr!".

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Mon 04-May-15 11:45:19

I have a nice lightweight one from uniqlo. I find it great for inbetweeny days, I'd tend to have a warm long sleeved top/cardi/dress on underneath and it keeps my middle warm without the annoying bulk of big jacket or parka or something. So to answer the OP, no I don't find it cold in my arms smile.

To the judgy person who said they look ridiculous, well I think your hair looks ridiculous :-p

maninawomansworld Mon 04-May-15 12:00:18

I like my gilets, they are very practical.
I have a nice fitted, insulated one for walking and riding when I don't want to be restricted by a full coat but it's just a bit nippy. If you need something on your arms then a long sleeved shirt or t shirt is ideal.
It's also ideal for shooting as a big coat can interfere with mounting your gun and it has nice deep pockets for ammo so there is no need for a cumbersome bag.

In the country they are very practical and I have seen some quite nice looking fitted things which look quite decent as fashion items for city folk too.

CamelHump Mon 04-May-15 12:03:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pudcat Mon 04-May-15 12:04:44

I wear them because I cannot stand long sleeves especially under my coat. Maybe you look ridiculous in your clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now