Talk

Advanced search

The more expensive the family car, the less the DW gets to drive it?

(122 Posts)
lostinikea Mon 04-May-15 07:29:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Mon 04-May-15 07:34:28

We've got 2 cars, a brand new, fairly expensive one and a falling to pieces old peugeot. I drive the new one, DH drives the banger.

YaTalkinToMe Mon 04-May-15 07:36:09

Not in our house, I am the main driver (which I want to be). I do notice we are among the few though.

NotSayingImBatman Mon 04-May-15 07:38:00

I spend all week commuting in the more expensive car. When we go out as a family I can't be bothered to drive so we bicker about it for five minutes then DH gives in and drives.

TheEmpressofBlandings Mon 04-May-15 07:40:41

We drive our cars equally, DH's is probably worth double mine. But if we are all going out together we always go in my car (which has the car seats fitted) and I almost always drive all of us. This seems more unusual. I know a lot of families where the man is the default driver.

Sophieelmer Mon 04-May-15 07:42:47

Don't get to drive or don't want to? I would much rather be the passenger, whatever the car is worth.

differentnameforthis Mon 04-May-15 07:44:13

This isn't my experience among my friends. We have one family car & dh has a company car, so by default I drive the most expensive car the most!

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Mon 04-May-15 07:44:43

My husband would be delighted if I never drove our rather expensive car.

FenellaFellorick Mon 04-May-15 07:44:57

I don't see how you can know that from traffic jams. Surely it would require repeated observation of the same people to see how often the drive the car?

I am the main driver of our family car. 2014 tiguan. My husband drives a crappy old Hyundai. He rarely drives my car. If you happened to see us in a traffic jam how could you possibly know if he always drives that car or if it's the first time he's Ben behind the wheel this year?

I'm not having a go, I realise it's just random musings on your part and not a big deal. I just am curious to know how you can know how often the people you happen to see drive the car.

DorisLessingsCat Mon 04-May-15 07:46:25

Well it's not exactly scientific evidence is it? If you have a preconception you are more likely to to notice evidence that backs up your theory and dismiss that which disproves it.

Come back with a proper data set wink

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Mon 04-May-15 07:47:25

I don't see how you can know that from traffic jams. Surely it would require repeated observation of the same people to see how often the drive the car?

No, you'd just have to observe a cross-section of cars.

Luciferbox Mon 04-May-15 07:56:45

Not always true. I do drive the older smaller car but it's because I want to. DH would love me to drive the bigger new car but I can't get the feel for it. So we all go in my shoebox when needed.

MrsTedCrilly Mon 04-May-15 07:58:07

I'm not sure I've noticed that, but I do know from family and friends that the man is always the driver when going out together and I'm not sure why!

eurochick Mon 04-May-15 07:58:19

I'm the only driver in our house so I drive our reasonably nice cars whenever necessary.

missingmumxox Mon 04-May-15 07:59:05

I don't understand, so you would see me say in a traffic jam in my car and your assume I a/ have a dh/dp and b/ he must have a better car!
Or you see a man in my car and assume he has a little woman at home who has a smaller cheaper car?

You sound a little bit sexist opgringringrin

afterthought2 Mon 04-May-15 07:59:16

That's the case in our house, but I've never challenged it as it means I get the glass of wine when we go out smile

FenellaFellorick Mon 04-May-15 08:01:22

How would that work? All that would tell you was how many of the car's being driven at that moment were being driven by men and how many by women.
It would not be able to tell you of those cars observed, how many are driven more often by the male and how many are driven more often by the female.

PacificDogwood Mon 04-May-15 08:01:24

Not IME.

DH is a petrol head and has expensive taste in cars hmm - the only redeeming feature of this obsession is that he is NOT precious about our cars.

He does often drive when we are together because he loves driving and I can take it or leave it grin - and as PP have said, I get to have a glass of wine

cloudofpink Mon 04-May-15 08:01:31

Not true, I have an expensive car and drive it every weekday. I am happy to let my husband drive us at the weekend in his cheaper car as we are generally visiting family and I get to drink wine.

FenellaFellorick Mon 04-May-15 08:02:15

My phone's grammar is dreadful.

Wharm14 Mon 04-May-15 08:02:32

We both drive our very nice car but I do like to fall asleep in the passenger seat so I don't put up much of a fight when DH says he's driving! If I'm not sleeping I use the time for knitting or crochet!

ineedausername Mon 04-May-15 08:03:54

When we shared a car, I drove the expensive car the majority of the time, dropped OH at work. Now we have we have 2, but he drives the more expensive car. Reason being, I cart 2 toddlers around and I rarely drive above 20 in our village. My car is a run a round, and I'm more than happy not worrying so much about mess in the back and I know it's not the end of the world if it gets dinged or scratched. But if we are driving any large distances, we take the expensive car and I sit back and relax

rainbowdashpony Mon 04-May-15 08:04:15

Dh always drives when we are both out together as that way I can relax and have a drink.

PlasticCircus Mon 04-May-15 08:04:35

We share our cars equally and they're pretty much the same value.

But if we were sitting in a traffic jam together you would be more likely to see my DH driving as I don't like driving that much and he does. It's not a sexist thing in our relationship. Plus he doesn't drink and I do so it makes much more sense for him to drive.

juneau Mon 04-May-15 08:05:49

Not in our family, no. I'm the main driver (my choice) and while my DH has the flashier car, the only reason for that is our financial position when we bought his vs. when we bought mine. We'll replace mine with something fancier this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now