Talk

Advanced search

To leave my 7 yo in bed?

(51 Posts)
DorisLessingsCat Sun 03-May-15 09:30:28

She's got books, toys and the iPad. She's enjoying the laziness. And I'm enjoying pottering around by myself.

DH is away this weekend but when he's here we are all hustled out of bed by 8 am at the latest, and harangued into having a wholesome family breakfast.

We have lots of activities planned for this afternoon, so it doesn't really matter that she doesn't have breakfast until she actually decides she wants to?

gamerchick Sun 03-May-15 09:31:43

Sounds good to me. I wish my 8 yr old would do that grin

Ineedtimeoff Sun 03-May-15 09:33:45

sounds like a lovely leisurely morning. We all need those sometimes!! Enjoy with a brew

Artandco Sun 03-May-15 09:33:51

Both my 4 and 5 year old are still asleep, it's only 9.30am on a Sunday morning!

maroonedwithfour Sun 03-May-15 09:35:31

Leave her. I'd put a stop to being forced to get up at 8 on a sunday.hmm

BathtimeFunkster Sun 03-May-15 09:38:07

Don't let the morning breakfast bully come back!

And yes, let her stay in bed if she wants.

Hoolit Sun 03-May-15 09:38:31

Enjoy it! That's what Sunday mornings are for, and breakfasts taste just as good at 10 as they do at 8 smile

DorisLessingsCat Sun 03-May-15 09:38:33

Marooned I know! It's very annoying. I do refuse to get up but he's destroyed my calm by the time I have to defend my loafing time.

catgirl1976 Sun 03-May-15 09:40:51

God, sounds good to me smile I am now actively looking forward to the day DS does that. Enjoy it.

Pomegranatemolasses Sun 03-May-15 09:41:29

The 8am 'wholesome family breakfast' sounds a bit grim to me.

maroonedwithfour Sun 03-May-15 09:43:15

Loafing time is to be protected whatever the cost. Time for a serious chat.

DorisLessingsCat Sun 03-May-15 09:46:58

It's just the usual rush during the week, he likes a nice relaxed family breakfast at the weekend. So do I, just two hours later than he does.

He's going to be in for a shock when DD hits her teens. grin

I get it, he loves us, wants to spend time with us. He called yesterday, he was in a luxury hotel, having coffee and cake, reading the Saturday papers without interruption, saying he missed us. I'd be the opposite, absolutely relishing the alone time!

BathtimeFunkster Sun 03-May-15 09:52:22

he likes a nice relaxed family breakfast at the weekend.

Well he's in charge, so it's right that you and your daughter perform that for him.

What is nice, relaxed, or family, about forcing everyone to get up earlier than they want to keep you happy?

But I guess you find it endearing...

Keletubbie Sun 03-May-15 10:41:36

I'm a single mum. My 7 yr old dd and I slowly emerge on weekend mornings for food and unless we have to go out, often return to bed with iPad and provisions smile

DorisLessingsCat Sun 03-May-15 10:47:57

That sounds lovely Keletubbie. I draw the line at food in bed because she's so bloody clumsy like her mother. She has now emerged and is tucking into breakfast. What a lovely peaceful morning smile

EatDessertFirst Sun 03-May-15 10:49:58

We are still in our PJ's here. DD was sick in the night so we are taking advantage of forced quarantine. Enjoy your pottering!

meglet Sun 03-May-15 10:50:27

a family breakfast sounds like hell.

hauling everyone out of bed to eat together at 8 am on a weekend would be the one thing guaranteed to ruin the start of the day.

pointythings Sun 03-May-15 10:51:51

If my DH hustled me into anything when I did not want to be hustled, I'd be hustling him out the door. Bloody hell, why do you put up with it? Tell him to do one, it isn't all about what HE wants on a Sunday.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 03-May-15 10:53:30

I can't think of anything worse!

I was part of a family that had a mum who was out all the time.... I was quite bookish and it was good to get me out but I wish I'd had more lie ins and time for me.... As a child!

TurnOverTheTv Sun 03-May-15 10:53:59

All 5 of us pile into my bed with books iPads and a McDonald's breakfast on a Sunday. We rarely surface before 11am.

Fairenuff Sun 03-May-15 10:56:26

OP you can tell by the replies that your dh is out of order with his 'hustling'. Are you going to change that now?

arethereanyleftatall Sun 03-May-15 10:56:51

We do this at least once a week, usually a Sunday.
We were all in our bed till ten this morning. Then got up for brunch.
Our lives are hectic enough, I love our one day a week 'off' from activities or routines.
If my dh suggested we get up at a set, early time, to have a wholesome breakfast I wouldn't be with him.

DorisLessingsCat Sun 03-May-15 10:58:22

DH is just one of those people who is happy being busy All The Time. We have a dog who is a bit of a motivating force to get up, but he's getting on and doesn't pester for a walk in the morning like he used to do.

We have talked about it and he's stopped being so bloody self-righteousness about being up and att'm in the morning at weekends but he radiates displeasure hmm

juliascurr Sun 03-May-15 10:59:26

what does he do to relax? tell him you'll hustle him unless he leaves you in peace
selfish git

QueenBean Sun 03-May-15 10:59:44

All the aggressive replies about OP's husband are baffling - fine, make the point in a nice way but it's so odd how wound up some people get about other peoples lives!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now