Advanced search

To want to do something (my landlord is a souchebag)

(13 Posts)
Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Sat 02-May-15 20:52:12

So, to make a long story short, there are some repairs that need to be some in my house. The garden door is really hard to open, one bedroom window can't be opened, there are humidity stains on the wall (imagine a bucket of water thrown on the wall).I have sent him emails and called for the last 4 months and he either ignores it, reply that he is going to get someone to come and check (and nothing happens) or he gets aggressive.

I am freaking fed up. More because he is having a good laugh than because of the repairs.

I am not from the UK and don't Really know what my options are. I don't have money for a lawyer.

The funny part is that last time I got him on the phone, he talked about increasing the rent but still nothing has been made to get the repairs done.

How do I get him to do those freaking repairs?

Can I refuse the rent increase?

Can I ask for compensation for the last months?

I feel stupid for waiting so long but I was scared of him

(Sorry for posting in AIBU, it's for the traffic - and I don't really know where to post)
Thanks for any help offered

londonrach Sat 02-May-15 20:56:05

Talk to cab. Can you find somewhere else to move to?

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Sat 02-May-15 20:58:32

I have tried to go to CAB but in my area so many people go, it's impossible to even talk to someone.

I am looking to move out but can't pay much so don't find easily.

Thanks for the answer

How long have you lived there? Do you have a contract? Is there a letting agent or is it let privately?

You can refuse a rent increase.

Try shelter might be of more use than CAB.

pluCaChange Sat 02-May-15 21:04:30

The private rental department of your local council is also recommended, to confirm it's unfit for habitation. Damp can lead to mould, which is dangerous!

ImNameyChangey Sat 02-May-15 21:07:35

Is there any visible mold and do you have children? I was in this situation once so I called the local Health Dept at the council, reported him and they immediately served him with some legal notice (after they had inspected the flat) and he was then bound by law to fix the issue.

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Sat 02-May-15 21:08:23

Great, thanks for the leads. I will try to contact the council and shelter

It is a private landlord, no agency and I have lived there for 9 months

piechuck Sat 02-May-15 21:08:35

How long have you lived in the house? What sort of tenancy do you have? Were these issues evident when you moved in? And realistically what do you want the landlord to do about them?

Can you fix any of them yourself? Our landlord seems to respond better if we present a solution at the same time as reporting problems, ie it'll cost £x to fix, he the (usually) gives permission for us to organise the repair.

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Sat 02-May-15 21:12:15

By mould you mean black stains? There are a lot. I have to clean the walls and windows with that smelly mould product, some black stains go, some stay. And I can't even open the window after

I don't have children (yet)

ImNameyChangey Sat 02-May-15 23:44:53

Yes I mean black stains. That's mold. Call the health and safety dept on Tuesday...just phone your local council or look online for the number. It's a serious issue. They should have protocol and ours at least were excellent.

blankgaze Sun 03-May-15 03:17:44

The garden door is really hard to open
Often in the UK wood doors swell in winter due to the wet weather.
Buy a cheap plain wax candle and rub that all over the edges of the door, keep opening and closing the door a little, soon you will feel where it's sticking, rub more wax on those parts until it moves freely.

Black mould is very bad for your health, try and move, some greedy landlords really never do what they should to keep the property in good repair.

one bedroom window can't be opened
This is serious. If a bedroom window cannot be opened, it's dangerous because if there was a fire, you would not be able to escape. Do you have a Fire Prevention Officer at your local Fire Station, could you ask them to visit and inspect your house?

Do you have a gas cooker or heating? All rented property in the UK should have a Gas Safety Certificate, the property should be inspected every year.
It's illegal for your landlord not to have one.

Obviously, the landlord will rightly get into trouble for any unsafe things he's making you live with so you can expect him to be awkward and probably still try to increase your rent. You will be much better off living somewhere else, please start looking now and move as soon as possible, but do make sure you go ahead with all the investigations that people have suggested.

CrispyFB Sun 03-May-15 11:15:38

Be wary - we asked our landlord for the first lot of repairs after being excellent tenants for just over two years. Minor things, like dodgy taps and broken shower thermostat - and after a few months of silence we were told they were selling the place as it was no longer "economically viable". Similarly some tenants are asked to leave in the hope their replacements won't be as insistent on repairs.

Not saying this will happen to you but it's worth being aware it might happen and to keep an eye open for other rentals in the area just in case.

Renting is so stressful :-( I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

19lottie82 Sun 03-May-15 11:37:39

Stop emailing / texting / calling or whatever and WRITE to your LL with a pen paper and stamp. Send two copies from different post offices and keep proof of postage from each.
Effectively you can't force him to do these repairs I'm afraid, if he doesn't then you'd prob be better looking for somewhere else - when is your lease up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now