Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why you would choose to dye your hair grey??

(50 Posts)
Seeker101 Sat 02-May-15 15:03:41

I am sure it's some sort of fashion statement but I don't get it... Why would you choose to dye your hair grey? (The person in question is early 20s and not going grey at all). confused

Fierceflora Sat 02-May-15 15:06:10

I frequently dye my hair grey, it suits my colouring, and also at the moment it's trendy so prob that's why you'll see you younger women with it

Tequilashotsfor1 Sat 02-May-15 15:08:08

Chair? grin

ShizeItsWeegie Sat 02-May-15 15:12:31

My chair started out black but has faded to grey in the sunlight by the window. I should close the curtains in the day I suppose but I love the sun too much. grin

singlikethepianoMargot Sat 02-May-15 15:16:11

Why does anyone dye their hair any colour? Cos they like how it looks I guess! I think silvery grey looks awesome - not on me but I have seen it on women with short hair, very funky and trendy

KingJoffreyFanciesDarylDixon Sat 02-May-15 15:16:31

There was a Sweet Valley High book with a 16 year old girl with grey hair on the cover.

(Was the one with Jade Wu and the ballet dancing hoopla.)

I always wondered why a young girl would have grey hair or choose to dye her hair grey.

Still a bit curious now...

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 02-May-15 15:25:03

Hallo we've amended the OP's typo for sense

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 02-May-15 15:27:12

I've seen a few young women with the silvery tone and thought it suited them but it's not for me. I do love the white/lilac look though

PoppyBlossom Sat 02-May-15 15:38:38

I think it's very modern looking now, hair colour is always about fashion. A couple of years ago it was that Rihanna red.

SevenAteNine Sat 02-May-15 16:05:55

I don't get it. But then, if it's youth fashion perhaps that is reasonable.

RegTheMonkey1 Sat 02-May-15 16:10:13

I'm 61 and have stopped dyeing my hair dark brown. I had no idea what was underneath the decades of dye, but was quite pleased with my silver locks. In fact, it's taken years off me, and I now realise that the artifically dark hair was ageing me.

FindoGask Sat 02-May-15 16:18:34

Beautiful, Reg! I don't dye my hair anymore- I got so tired of the three weekly faff of home dying and I'm too poor/tight for salons. So I've got a salt and pepper buzz cut just now... Not for everyone, but I love it. Looking forward to my barnet being more uniformly silver like yours is.

MyIronLung Sat 02-May-15 16:19:48

I'm 36 and I've got tons of grey coming through. I'd love a way to go grey but because ive been dying my hair red for years I've no idea how. It doesn't help that my hair is shoulder length. If I stop dying it'll look awful once the roots start conning in.

MyIronLung Sat 02-May-15 16:20:13

Conning = coming

FyreFly Sat 02-May-15 16:22:50

I've seen some stunning silver and white haircuts on people in their 20s. If you have a really bold geometric cut and maintain it well, it can look amazing. If you're like me and just leave your hair wild and messy it will look awful.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 02-May-15 16:26:54

I am hoping to do this soon.
also sick of the ageing of dark brown dyes, also can't find one that doesn't go red after a couple of weeks.
Then I end up with dark roots as redo these and the rest is a horrible red/brown.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 02-May-15 16:29:11

Sorry, forgot to ask.
Do people just let the dye grow out and go for it then?
I haven't long since had a cut and don't want to go much shorter to have the colour cut out.

JoanHickson Sat 02-May-15 16:31:06

I think it's a great idea.

Tootsiepops Sat 02-May-15 16:31:52

I'm 35 and have had grey hair since my early 20s. Last year I got sick of needing to go to the hairdressers every four weeks to get my roots done, and have gone grey. I love it and wish I'd done it years ago.

RegTheMonkey1 Sat 02-May-15 16:32:07

I grew out my roots and hid them under scarves, hair bands etc., and got my hair cut into a short, choppy bob, and when I could no longer hide them my hairdresser used highlights and so on to disguise them, and keeping a mixture of hiding roots and cutting hair, finally got to a stage where the dye was all out and I then stopped the highlights. The relief of not having to do the 2-3 weekly regrowth touch-up is fantasic!

Gralick Sat 02-May-15 16:35:46

I love it, on people of any age! I've tried really hard to get mine a luminous grey but it won't bloody go. Consequently I veer between Menopausal Blonde and Not Nicole Kidman's Orange.

Am most envious of those with ethereal locks smile

morethanpotatoprints Sat 02-May-15 16:36:55

Thank you Reg

I will try your approach, it sounds sensible.
My hair is very curly and mid length, I hope it looks better, but sure it can't look worse colour wise.
the grey is a sparkly silver a bit like your own, it was jet black with a blue sheen to it when I was younger. grin

CMOTDibbler Sat 02-May-15 16:42:07

OP, you might as well ask why does anyone dye their hair any colour tbh. I particularly dislike weird purply plum colours, black dyed hair (emos and goths get a free pass on this), and stripey highlights. But its not my hair, and since I've discovered that the most radical thing a woman under 60 can do is to have naturally grey/silver/white hair, I don't get to judge anyone elses decisions (42, snow white at the front, 75%+ grey elsewhere and I stopped dyeing at 38)

drbonnieblossman Sat 02-May-15 16:42:28

Reg (a) your grey is gorgeous, and (b) you are a beautiful looking woman.

That Boots ad, for the no.7 makeup, had the most beautiful woman in, with long silky grey hair. Looks absolutely stunning.

I think your hair greys as your skin tone changes - let nature do its thing and you'll always look your very best.

BestZebbie Sat 02-May-15 16:42:40

I was very tempted to dye my hair grey or get some silver streaks put in during my early/mid twenties, when I was starting out at work and people kept thinking I was the Year 10 work experience person and not taking me seriously because of my (lack of) age!
I think at that age it wouln't have made me actually look decades older, but it might have subconsciously made people think twice about assuming I was born yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now