Talk

Advanced search

not inclined to vote for anyone

(24 Posts)
southeastastra Fri 01-May-15 22:27:06

anyone else? they offer nowt

Sickoffrozen Fri 01-May-15 22:30:49

You will be amongst millions of others. Turnout was 65% last time. Maybe the not bothered vote should actually count and we end up with no one running the country.

NomNomDePlum Fri 01-May-15 22:34:04

there's a least worst option, surely? i appreciate it feels like a redundant exercise, but really it's actually not, even if it isn't as powerful as it should be. think of the decisions that various parties will make that cede more ground, always, to unelected powers, and vote against them. not voting is like waving them on, like it's not your business.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 01-May-15 22:37:41

Do at least go and spoil your paper.

CaveMum Fri 01-May-15 22:50:39

The thing is, if everyone who says "what's the point in voting, it won't make a difference" actually voted, it WOULD make a difference.

If things on a national level seem overwhelming, look at it locally. Consider your local MP: have they done a good job in your area?

SorchaN Sat 02-May-15 00:01:39

Definitely vote. Even if it's just to spoil your paper.

Griphook Sat 02-May-15 00:20:14

I felt like you, and even posted on here about, but I've changed my mind I will vote now.

They don't offer anything, but they might be planning to makes cuts that you agree/disagree with

SoonToBeSix Sat 02-May-15 00:21:23

It's very selfish not to vote, if you were in Australia you would receive a criminal record.

IrmaGuard Sat 02-May-15 00:32:59

Well, you could be fined for not voting in Australia, you won't actually get arrested.
I think there is always a 'least worst option'. There must be some candidate/party that addresses some of your concerns at least, surely? I've always thought that the right to vote is a privilege that's a shame to waste.

minibmw2010 Sat 02-May-15 06:45:36

Try to remember you are voting for party, it doesn't matter who is in charge now, they may well not be by the week after. But please do vote.

tilliebob Sat 02-May-15 07:32:46

I'm at a loss to who to vote for too for the first time in nearly 30 years of voting. It won't be UKIP or the sodding SNP but beyond that, I dunno. I have to vote, but who for?!

Springheeled Sat 02-May-15 07:54:21

Labour!

ConferencePear Sat 02-May-15 07:57:23

I feel the same; I am so badly undecided that I can't see a 'least worst' option. There are things in both the main parties that are a redline for me.

AnnieLewis Sat 02-May-15 08:01:55

Feel free - but think about the women who fought hard to win you the right to vote, and keep your mouths shut if you fancy a whinge about what a shit job the Government are doing for the duration of the next term.

If you are able to do that then go ahead and sit in your arse at home.

Apologies in advance if I offend you, am in a bad mood already this morning but this kind of lazy apathy really pisses me right off.

Australia have the right idea - fine people who can't be bothered, bet you'd all hot foot it to the poll then wouldn't you? And if not its more cash in the coffers to sort out the financial issues we have.

Jossysgiants Sat 02-May-15 08:17:08

You're making a big leap there Annie to accuse non voters of lazieness and apathy. Just because people don't see an option they can fully does not mean they don't believe in democracy or aren't grateful for the efforts of the suffragettes. If we actually had a none of the above option it would be different- but we don't.

Jossysgiants Sat 02-May-15 08:17:52

Can fully support .

SevenAteNine Sat 02-May-15 08:19:30

There are many people who are actively in politics right now who would secretly love it if you weren't allowed to vote.
If you don't vote, in effect you could be giving an extra vote to someone like that.

jay55 Sat 02-May-15 08:20:52

Forget the leaders, forget the parties and look at the local candidates, sometimes you'll find one who could have the capacity for change.

SevenAteNine Sat 02-May-15 08:21:03

I am torn this year. I might spoil my paper. At least it shows I did something.

ConferencePear Sat 02-May-15 08:22:46

Annie you do offend me. I'm a grown up feminist who doesn't need reminding about the suffragettes. I am more interested in politics than anyone I know. I do not want to vote for my own narrow interests, but for what I think best for the whole country.
I will of course go to the polling station; it is just what I put on my paper that bothers me.

Stopandlook Sat 02-May-15 08:23:45

I've been dithering for ages but I wouldn't not vote. Have finally decided (I think!) on Lib Dem, because I don't think they could have done anything differently really and I agree with their policies and they brought in equal right for men and women to take parental leave which is important for women in the workplace. Phew!

AnnieLewis Sat 02-May-15 08:24:00

Not really Jossy. I know a lot of people who don't vote and then are very vocal about slagging off the government and policies etc.

I agree you may not be able to find someone you 'fully support' unless you are running your own opposition party it is unlikely, however, you should be able to make an educated choice based on the options available.

I don't necessarily 'fully support' any of them but I will still be casting my very precious vote.

wigglesrock Sat 02-May-15 08:29:36

I spoil my vote usually, I can't abide voting for the least worst party or the candidate that offends me the least, it gives political parties a mandate that they then use to beat the public with.

ender Sat 02-May-15 08:31:39

YANBU. None of the parties appealed but after Question Time I thought Tories might be the least worst option. Then realised that I'd be voting to keep our local MP in who's a waste of space and was in trouble for fiddling his expense account confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now