Talk

Advanced search

To want to clear the air with this teacher?

(25 Posts)
flower68 Fri 01-May-15 20:11:16

There's a teacher at my kids' primary school who I've always thought is fab - she taught two of my three kids and I really hope she can teach number 3. This afternoon after school I was waiting with the older two and a play date friend for the head to sign some important forms. The 3 kids were being really full-on and noisy in the reading area including throwing cushions. I told them to pipe down in an irritable way - was feeling knackered. Then fab teacher say very indulgently how nice is it they are having fun and then proceeds to chat to a couple of them about their day, I suppose showing by example me how to handle the situation better. (she doesn't have kids of her own yet). All ok - I then said how much I hoped she would teach our youngest and she sort of smiled and then abruptly got up and moved away. ( She was waiting with a child who whose parent hadn't turned up). I was really taken aback as I've gone out of my way to praise her to the head and others . To cap it all the head came out a bit later and mentioned how loud the 3 kids had been and how distracting he'd found their behaviour. (It turns out he made a mistake on the forms and I will have to get then redone.) Should I just let it go or take it up with said teacher - I found her behaviour kind of passive aggressive and it probably belonged to the parent who was late, not me.

Justusemyname Fri 01-May-15 20:12:51

I'm really confused what your problem is.

backwardpossom Fri 01-May-15 20:14:39

Erm...

Waffles80 Fri 01-May-15 20:15:17

Jesus.

So, she:

1) responded appropriately to poor behaviour.

2) smiled.

3) moved away from you.

Honestly, no, don't take any of the above up with her. She doesn't owe you anything for your previous praise of her.

biscuit

flower68 Fri 01-May-15 20:15:24

I think this teacher was really off-hand - it felt really rude.

bobajob Fri 01-May-15 20:15:51

I would apologise to the teacher and head for letting my kids run riot!

mrschatty Fri 01-May-15 20:16:01

Yeah she has no kids but she spends all day every day in an overcrowded classroom attempting to achieve government targets and will spend all bank holiday weekend marking or planning...so maybe your taking it to heart?

Buttercup27 Fri 01-May-15 20:16:19

Maybe she wanted to end the conversation quickly because -
A) she won't be there, She could be leaving
B) the school could be making staffing changes meaning she won't be teaching your next child, but the news isn't being made public yet
C) it's Friday afternoon and she can't be arsed to make small talk when all she wants to do is go home.

IceRebel Fri 01-May-15 20:16:20

You want to clear the air with a teacher who has:

Chatted to your children about their day, which I assume stopped them being as noisy/ throwing cushions.

Smiled when you mentioned you'd like her to teach your third child

I think; especially since you said you're knackered, you might be blowing this all a bit out of proportion.

Teacuptravells Fri 01-May-15 20:17:22

I honestly think you're reading too much into this. Certainly don't complain!!

bobajob Fri 01-May-15 20:17:22

She was probably pretty pissed off tbh, one parent turning up late and another failing to control their children. It's Friday afternoon and she wanted to go home.

MrsKCastle Fri 01-May-15 20:18:15

She may have felt awkward because she's about to resign and knows perfectly well she won't teach your youngest. It's that time of year.

Finola1step Fri 01-May-15 20:18:18

I don't see the issue here.

flower68 Fri 01-May-15 20:18:32

You're right thanks all. Problem sorted - I am knackered and over sensitive.

BolshierAyraStark Fri 01-May-15 20:19:39

Do you have a tendency to overthink things as I'm struggling to get your issue tbh...?

IceRebel Fri 01-May-15 20:20:07

Oww i'm glad you accept that you're tired and over sensitive, very usual for an OP to come to their sense so graciously. smile

whippy33 Fri 01-May-15 20:22:03

How patronising of you to mention she has not children. How does that impact on her ability to understand how hard it is to deal with 3 kids pratting around?

whippy33 Fri 01-May-15 20:22:11

no*

306235388 Fri 01-May-15 20:34:12

OMG let.it.go.

Christ sometimes mumsnet really confuses me. She didn't do anything. I'd be mortified if my kids behaved so badly though.

maybe she was thinking god I hope not they're so badly behaved

306235388 Fri 01-May-15 20:35:01

Oops sorry OP totally missed update as took so long to reply because of own annoying children

306235388 Fri 01-May-15 20:35:28

Oops sorry OP totally missed update as took so long to reply because of own annoying children

CrispyFern Fri 01-May-15 20:35:52

If she's been nice always before, maybe she was just having a shit day?

Cockadoodledooo Fri 01-May-15 20:38:20

I'd be counting my blessings that at the end of the school day/week she could deal calmly with 3 arsing about dc, especially if I felt I was too knackered to cope myself.

I'd also suspect that the awkwardness that led to her moving away is due to her knowing she won't be teaching your dc3, either due to leaving or other staff changes. Or maybe the other child's parent/carer arrived?

ConfusedInBath Fri 01-May-15 20:39:18

wine OP.

Have a nice weekend.

teacher54321 Fri 01-May-15 21:01:52

If I were you I'd be mortified that your kids were behaving so badly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now