lostinikea Fri 01-May-15 16:34:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YDdraigGoch Fri 01-May-15 16:35:18

Yorkshire wouldn't be far behind.

BigbyWolf Fri 01-May-15 16:58:25

<waves from Cornwall>

Oh yes, sounds good to me.

oddcommentator Fri 01-May-15 17:06:11

That worked out well in Yugoslavia didnt it.

Still new countries popping out of that little mess.

Those who wrap themselves in the flag of micro-nationalism do so at their peril. You will sell your country down the swanee for a mess of pottage and a scoundrels promise

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 01-May-15 17:08:46

Of course Greater London could leave and then everyone's in the shit.

2boys2girls Fri 01-May-15 17:10:10

If they want to go alone let it be all alone and see the fall out happen

Asheth Fri 01-May-15 17:10:28

I'm in Devon and was discussing with my DC today about starting a West Country Nationalist Party!

Bowlersarm Fri 01-May-15 17:10:59

Would there have to be county border controls?

Collaborate Fri 01-May-15 17:13:27

Nationalism is the refuge of scoundrels. I'm afraid that micro nationalism is the refuge of the plain stupid. Exactly what MrsTerryPratchett said. Cornwall on its own would make Albania look rich.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 01-May-15 17:17:08

I'm with oddcommentator. It would be shamboli.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 01-May-15 17:17:29

...c!

OrlandoWoolf Fri 01-May-15 17:17:41

Yorkshire

I think we've got the same population as Scotland.

But can we survive without all the cash from the South East?

Maybe there's oil under the Pennines.

EauPea Fri 01-May-15 17:19:16

Waves to Bigby

If Dick Cole has he way we will.

EauPea Fri 01-May-15 17:19:49

His not he.

anythingforaquietnight Fri 01-May-15 17:24:55

I'm sure in his dreams he does, but he's seems to be a pragmatist. Dick Cole wants to get an MP or 2 in parliament who will represent the interests of Cornwall as opposed to the interests of the London centric political parties. He did a fantastic interview with Radio Cornwall a few weeks back. I had no interest in or knowledge of Mebyon Kernow up to that point, but he talked a lot of sense.

EauPea Fri 01-May-15 17:31:53

Anything he does!

I said on another thread earlier I am thinking of voting Mebyon Kernow, but slightly worried it could be a wasted vote in the face of a tory whitewash.

squoosh Fri 01-May-15 17:31:53

Isn't Cornwall the poorest county in England? Independence (even hypothetical) doesn't sound too wise a move to me.

anythingforaquietnight Fri 01-May-15 17:43:11

squoosh I don't know anyone who wants to leave, although I know loads of people who like to have a good whinge about the folk upcountry.

The thought of being governed solely by the idiots who run the county at the moment makes me choke on me pasty wink

EauPea I'm thinking of voting MK as well, but hesitating for the same reasons. To be honest the non-Tory vote in our constituency is so fractured this time around I think Sarah Newton will be voted back in by a sizeable majority instead of the 400 odd she squeezed in by in 2010 (Thanks you bleddy stupid LibDems).

So whoever I vote for won't make a difference unless there are thousands of people thinking the same. Who knows?

pixiestix Fri 01-May-15 17:46:48

Cornwall isn't a county, and never has been. It's a Duchy and has never been legally assimilated into England.

squoosh Fri 01-May-15 17:53:14

Oh yes, that's why Prince Charles gets to pocket the estates of people who die without an heir isn't it? I find that shocking.

Make a will people of Cornwall. Charles is more than rich enough!

oddcommentator Fri 01-May-15 17:54:29

True Greater london is worth 23 or so % of the UK GDP about 0.8tn quid

oddcommentator Fri 01-May-15 17:57:48

The Duchy of Cornwall is an estate - much of its land is nowhere near Cornwall.

Cornwall is a county - not a duchy in and of itself

judypoovey26 Fri 01-May-15 18:00:03

I love Cornwall with a passion. However, when I was last there - a year ago during the local elections - I was astounded by how many UKIP posters I saw on people's lawns and homes. Leaving the EU would be disastrous for Cornwall - if I am correct, it is one of the UK counties that depends the most on EU subsidies.

If independence was ever to happen, (unlikely), Cornwall would suffer hugely without the EU, but I can't see an independent Cornwall being admitted to the EU somehow. It's a very different proposition from Scottish independence IMO.

oddcommentator Fri 01-May-15 18:00:49

Wiki...

For some Cornish activists, Cornwall itself is described, de jure, as a duchy as opposed to an ordinary county, and the duchy estates are distinguished from the duchy itself, having themselves been annexed and united to "the aforesaid duchy".[30] The Royal Commission on the Constitution in 1973 recommended that Cornwall be officially referred to as "the duchy" on what it described as "appropriate occasions" given the nature of the county's "special relationship" with the Crown.[31][32] The designation is sometimes found used informally in respect of the county as whole.

Pastamancer Fri 01-May-15 18:01:30

I will be voting for Dick again and have never considered myself English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now