Talk

Advanced search

my daughter become a 'celebrity' over night [you tube ]

(100 Posts)
mrsfuzzy Fri 01-May-15 14:58:52

okay, so i'm old.. but i don't get the you tube and vloging thing thing. my youngest dd [15] has been following a well known you tuber connor franta and sends messages to him on twitter, he has sent back a message direct to her and now she has gained over a 1000 likes because of the message she sent that he liked and responded to !!!! it all happened within a couple of hours, she's star struck, i'm gob smacked and 100s of young people want her to put in good word for them with the man of the moment, so he might contact them too, crazy or what ? i have expect fans peering through the window when i'm doing the washing up and her getting asked for autographs at school several people who know her have retweeted it and face booked it too, she is probably known about in darkest peru and outer mongolia as i type this.
but i still don't get it am i being dim or something ? [be gentle i'm a facebook. social media virgin] !

BuzzardBird Fri 01-May-15 15:01:29

Who?

BreeVDKamp Fri 01-May-15 15:02:48

I doubt she's known in darkest Peru, 1000 likes isn't that many in the grand scheme of things!

BuzzardBird Fri 01-May-15 15:04:39

It's a strange thing to put it on here, surely that is going to attract even more attention to a child from a load of strangers?

ApocalypseThen Fri 01-May-15 15:05:00

I've never heard of Mr Fanta or your daughter. Sorry.

PrivatePike Fri 01-May-15 15:05:14

Who is Connor Franta? <beeyatch>

WorraLiberty Fri 01-May-15 15:05:19

Huh? They're only likes.

If they passed her in the street, they wouldn't even recognise her.

Calm down grin

SavoyCabbage Fri 01-May-15 15:06:03

I don't get it either! So, a person who is popular on YouTube liked a and responded to message your dd posted to him on Twitter?

PrivatePike Fri 01-May-15 15:06:03

And what are you actually asking?

AuntyMag10 Fri 01-May-15 15:06:52

Honestly op it means nothing. All these people inviting/following her are just followers nothing more.

ImperialBlether Fri 01-May-15 15:07:21

Sorry, I think you're being a bit dim!

This guy has sent her a message and because of that she got 1000 likes?

You know what? Tomorrow he'll send a message to someone else and your daughter won't have any new likes and she'll be bawling and crying because you have helped make this so much more than it is.

She's fifteen! She's meant to be excitable. You're not and you're meant to be a calm influence.

So calm down, woman!

girlgamergoesbad Fri 01-May-15 15:08:07

Not sure if real or Connor Franta has an interesting method of marketing himself...

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Fri 01-May-15 15:08:46

Erm calm down. My 12 year old DD was having a conversation with youtubers Dananphil and attracted a lot of followers for LIKE A DAY !!!!

They are just liking her. They dont want her autograph ! Its the equivalent to having a sleb retweet a tweet thats all !

Its really nothing. Shes not famous hmm

msgrinch Fri 01-May-15 15:10:06

eh?

BuzzardBird Fri 01-May-15 15:11:58

Calm down, woman grin Seriously, calm down.

Tubbytimmy Fri 01-May-15 15:12:29

grin at the replies.

Sorry op I don't see how this has made dd famous? confused

ThePinkOcelot Fri 01-May-15 15:12:53

Connor who?

PrivatePike Fri 01-May-15 15:15:13

Mr Fanta grin

ImperialBlether Fri 01-May-15 15:15:44

You've got to love those idiots who are writing to her asking her to put a good word in for them - not one of the three parties knows each other!

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Fri 01-May-15 15:17:33

Idiots is a bit harsh imperial they are only kids smile

DadOnIce Fri 01-May-15 15:22:06

When exactly did "Youtuber" become a job?

ImperialBlether Fri 01-May-15 15:25:24

Sorry, bendy!

You can earn a lot doing it, DadOnIce.

Sallyingforth Fri 01-May-15 15:27:21

I don't think it was harsh bendy.
And I would hope that at 15 the OP's daughter will soon have better aspirations in life than collecting 'likes' on YouTube.

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Fri 01-May-15 15:27:31

One of my kids has a YouTube channel with over 2000 subscribers. It just shows how dumbed down entertainment has become as God knows why 2000 people would want to watch terrible, Pudepie (don't know how to spell that one!) style videos of his screechy voice playing video games!

bendybrickpumpkinpatch Fri 01-May-15 15:28:12

Its hugely profitable ! The Times Rich List had quite a few in this year !!
shock

What amazes me is the shit stuff they do that kids watch.
My 4 year old DS watches people open Kinder Eggs !!!! Its an actual chanell called The Engineering Family ( WTF?) and has MILLIONS of subscribers !

ITS PEOPLE OPENING EGGS !!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now