Have to Leave University

(17 Posts)
fedupnorthernmum Fri 01-May-15 09:44:34

I started a degree a year ago (always wanted to do one, and I have been brilliant, 90% for 2nd assignment I did!) and have two exams due next week to finish the year. Have just found out that family business has gone bust and will therefore need to leave and get a job ASAP. I can't see any reason to finish these exams, my head is all over the place and I also have to take my child out of her current school. Add to this the fact that I am 47, type 1 diabetic with some complications and I am climbing the walls! Would it be unreasonable for me not to do these exams?

fedupnorthernmum Fri 01-May-15 09:45:53

:-(

ollieplimsoles Fri 01-May-15 09:47:37

Hey op, what is the family business, is it run by your parents?

formerbabe Fri 01-May-15 09:47:47

Can you do the exams and then defer for a while?

TarkaTheOtter Fri 01-May-15 09:48:50

Finish the year if you can. You might find the credits can be counted in the future against another qualification.
I left a uni after one year and was able to take a year out then start again at a new uni in year two.
You won't ever be able to claim funding again for year 1 so best to try to make it count.

Patapouf Fri 01-May-15 09:49:42

Can you speak to your uni about extra funding like a bursary? Have you applied for student finance next year, if you have it? You'll be entitled to more if your family income has changed.

sunbathe Fri 01-May-15 09:50:46

YABU. Do the exams. I appreciate what you're saying, but you've worked at your course. The exams are just the opportunity to show it.

Always easier to pick up studying elsewhere if you have actually completed the year, if you do leave.

And, won't you be entitled to more student support, if you can no longer fund it yourself? Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Chin up. flowers

flamingtoaster Fri 01-May-15 09:50:49

Do the exams. If you can't go back full time later you can be given credit with The Open University and do your degree while still earning. Good luck with the exams.

KnitKnitPurl Fri 01-May-15 09:51:12

Do you have a course tutor or someone you could talk to? It may be possible to complete this year and then take a break off a couple of years and come back and finish part time, or something. Some universities also award a non-honours degree to students whose done 2 years, so at least you'd get something. Figure out who can talk you through the options and make an appointment today.

Maliceaforethought Fri 01-May-15 09:51:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PausingFlatly Fri 01-May-15 09:53:06

What they all said.

Good luck for the exams.thanks

Invizicat Fri 01-May-15 10:00:43

I'm sorry. That sounds shit. sad

But YABU. Looking at it completely practically, you have all but completed the year with only the exams left. You have already paid for this term. You have spent/ borrowed an enormous amount of money to get this far and you will have to pay it back for years to come. If you walk away now it's like buying a very expensive car and never picking it up from the showroom.

Even if you don't return next year you will have credits if you do the exams. You will not have wasted your time and can possibly return at a later stage.

Don't chuck the baby out with the bathwater.

anothernumberone Fri 01-May-15 10:03:13

Finish the exams and defer. You get ECTS credit for modules you complete which can be used in years to come when you get back on your feet. I am sorry about your business.

Quitelikely Fri 01-May-15 10:03:27

Why does the family business going bust affect you doing a degree?

IsabellaofFrance Fri 01-May-15 10:03:31

Do the exams, if you finish the first year, wont you be awarded with a CertHE? At least then you will be able to carry the credits over, or defer without repeating.

Also, if you are getting student finance you wont be able to reapply for that year, so if you did have to repeat you would have to pay out again.

Quitelikely Fri 01-May-15 10:03:57

It is more of a reason to do a degree if anything confused

SavoyCabbage Fri 01-May-15 10:10:27

It would BU not to do the exams. I would look at all the other options before quitting your degree. Working evenings, student loan etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now