Talk

Advanced search

Conservatives to cut all child benefit

(186 Posts)
lostinikea Fri 01-May-15 08:13:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsfuzzy Fri 01-May-15 08:16:07

um, 'a leak', roughly translated, let's scare monger, nothing unusual about that, all the parties try to under mine each other.
however, there should be a limit on the number of kids that child benefit is awarded to.

mrsfuzzy Fri 01-May-15 08:19:37

cameron said he had no plans to cut it, the leak was the lib dems version, after all who are they ? only a small cog in the bigger wheel of parliament and irritated by their lowly position in the bigger scheme of things, of course this was't a leak as such, just a sound bite.

shewept Fri 01-May-15 08:21:03

I didn't see DC last night, but I thought he said he wasn't cutting it? That's the impression I got on the news today. He might be lying, but they all lie.

I actually wish the parties would concentrate on themselves instead of leaking and slagging off each other. I watched the news for a while yesterday, no real mention of their own policies just moaning about others. I want to hear what they are going to do, not what they don't like about others manifestos

SomewhereIBelong Fri 01-May-15 08:22:11

the leak - info from HOW long ago?

if they get rid of it, they get rid of it, there will be a safety net for those in need... tax credits will probably take up the slack for those who are lower paid, those of us in the squeezed middle will have to suck up the loss as always, but to be fair it always seemed a bit weird being given money just for having kids

Cherrypi Fri 01-May-15 08:24:20

What are people's theories on what they will cut? They've said they'll protect elderly, child benefit and disabled. Housing benefit goes to landlords. Tax credit keeps wages low. Who are they going to upset? It must be a group that votes for them as they're keeping it secret.

patterkiller Fri 01-May-15 08:24:36

Very daily fail headline there op.

OrangeVase Fri 01-May-15 08:26:13

The whole process is exhausting. They didn't say that. They specifically said they were not going to cut it - but they won't pay it to families who live abroad.

I don't really know what anyone is going to do - or what the consequences of any action might be - or what is true and what is not. None of us does in truth, not really. We feel as if we have some sort of control but in reality is very little.

Scare-mongering stories like this don't help anyone to understand the issues especially when not backed up with decent information.

Whiskwarrior Fri 01-May-15 08:31:23

Just to clarify a couple of things, as there are already remarks about how it should be capped and money 'just for having kids':

CB is awarded for the children, y'know towards clothing, feeding and caring for them. It's not some kind of breeding payment. Without it a lot of children would lead pretty shitty lives.

But people choose to overlook the pesky children - who are already there - when they bang on about capping it because nobody wants to actually be the one to say 'I'd quite happily drive children into poverty' (and look like a complete cunt, lacking in all empathy) when it's much easier (and seemingly acceptable) to say 'benefits scroungers, feckless parents, too many kids, blah, blah, blah'.

Tiresome and cowardly. If you want to be a cunt, go ahead, we can see through it anyway.

PtolemysNeedle Fri 01-May-15 08:32:05

It is far from a certainty that child benefit will be cut, I don't believe it will be cut in any meaningful way whoever gets in. Hopefully though, they will limit it to two children only. I agree with Somewhere that it's always seemed weird to give people money just for having children, but I do think having some universal benefits is a good thing. Now it's not a universal benefit anyway, they may as well cut it a bit more, there's nothing wrong with expecting people to pay for their own children.

lostinikea Fri 01-May-15 08:35:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morage Fri 01-May-15 08:37:53

I can't see how they can cut 12 billion without cutting child benefit, and tax credits.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 01-May-15 08:41:30

Any more cuts in benefit, me and my DD will be homeless and starving. Im just getting by as it is.

angemorange Fri 01-May-15 08:54:32

Tax Credits and Child Benefit will definitely be cut if Cameron gets in again - their whole philosophy is to roll back the state and end welfare. Never mind that most people in receipt of tax credits are working in low paid jobs and certainly aren't the shirkers the right wing media like to portray. I hope people wake up to this before next Thursday.

OvertiredandConfused Fri 01-May-15 08:59:29

I actually wish the parties would concentrate on themselves instead of leaking and slagging off each other

He said he wasn't cutting it

They all lie

Actually, they can't win, any of them. If they say what they'll do, they're lying and can't be trusted

If they say their aim is to do x but they need to see how it is when they're in office, they're deliberately deceiving us

If they compare what they would do to what the other guys would do, they're slagging each other off.

Do you know what, most of these guys are passionate about our country and really believe what they are saying and want to make a difference. Yes, even the idiots with whom I personally disagree.

Some bad eggs and the media desire to turn how our country is governed into a perpetual reality TV show has a lot to answer for.

Voters need to find out what each party has actually said and we must then make our own personal judgements, based on our values, experience and understanding. As long as we join in with this permanent blame game, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Rant over. Sorry.

tyto Fri 01-May-15 09:01:32

DC says they won't cut DLA? Did he really have the gall to say that? Surely that process has already begun.

Iggly Fri 01-May-15 09:04:10

They want to make changes yes but always at the expense of others. And in the case of the Tories, it is always at those who are the poorest, most vulnerable. That is why I would never vote Tory.

Child benefit will be cut of course it will be.

Something needs to be done about the low wages which prevent people from having decent living standards hence needing top up benefits.
Without protections for workers, the wages will not increase. Business, employers, always have more power over individual workers. Even more so without unions.

We are fucked if the Tories carry on. Fucked.

WhiteConverseSkinnyJeans Fri 01-May-15 09:05:00

didn't he say he "didn't want " to cut child benefit and tax credits?

that isn't the same as "not going to" or "won't"

and anyway from 2017 universal credit will be rolled out everywhere anyway so who is to say that won't be cut?

alreadytaken Fri 01-May-15 09:05:24

the conservatives said they wouldnt increase VAT - then promptly did so. Anyone who expects them to keep a promise is naive. As for the promise to introduce a law to prevent tax rises - VAT on childrens clothes and food perhaps. I dont think they ruled out extending taxes.

BMW6 Fri 01-May-15 09:06:40

There should certainly be a cap on CB for FUTURE children IMO - if not scrapped altogether.

Strawberyshortcake Fri 01-May-15 09:07:49

They are going to cut everything, don't delude yourself that they won't. If they can take benefits from the most vulnerable in society............the disabled.......then no one is safe. I'm betting they will cut CB and CTC and WTC too. I honestly don't think anyone is safe from cuts if they get back in power again.

likalixer Fri 01-May-15 09:08:03

Scaremongering.
Ignore.

likalixer Fri 01-May-15 09:09:34

He said he was going to cut down/stop the practice of people sending family allowance out of the country. And he is right, that is wrong on so many levels - when children that are actually living in this country are having to use food banks.

morage Fri 01-May-15 09:12:02

likalixer - If it was scaremongering, then how is he going to make the 12 billion in cuts? I can't see what else can be cut?

And yes DLA has already been cut and will continue to be as people are moved over to PIP. So he is lying about no cuts to disabled people.

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 01-May-15 09:13:16

I agree - my Polish SIL is still getting it although she left the country 8 years ago and then later split from her partner who was working in the UK at that time. Now she doesn't even know where he is. ~Why should that be OK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now