Advanced search

My World Turned Upside Down

(21 Posts)
fedupnorthernmum Fri 01-May-15 06:14:49

I am 47 years old and always wanted to go to University. Due to support from father 2 years ago did access course and for past year being studying for a degree, and I loved it! Worked hard and got excellent grades. Now fathers business has after 25 years gone into receivership and the impact on my family is really substantial (My dad is OK by btw has rental properties etc). On the other hand, I am having to give up degree and get back to work, which worries me as I am 47 type1 diabetic with complications relating to my eyes, partial amputation of foot and trigger finger! yes, I'm dropping in bits!!and take my daughter out of private education. Anyway my last two exams are on Tuesday next week and then one the week after. However I cant see the point of revising as I will never get the chance to finish and every time I do pick up a book I cry. AIBU to just withdraw now and not take exams?

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Fri 01-May-15 06:19:18

Take your exams and see if there is any student loans and finacal help for studying.

Look around local schools and start applying.

cookiefiend Fri 01-May-15 06:50:18

If you don't take the exams there wi never be a chance of returning- but if you take them you might find a way eg hardship loans. Scholarships etc. the university students association should have a database of different loans and grants on offer. Perhaps even in a year or two you could return.

Also speak to your daughters school- some schools (not all) have support in place for where funding is lost through genuine circumstances.

SandysMam Fri 01-May-15 13:34:40

No offence OP but sort your threads out, hasn't this been done???

londonrach Fri 01-May-15 13:40:43

Sit the exams as you can bank uni years. How many years you done. Also talk to the uni after the exams. There is support out there!

Pedestriana Fri 01-May-15 13:47:25

Get in touch with your head of year/course leader and explain the situation - you may be able to defer the exams in the circumstances. It would be a great shame to waste all the effort you've put in.

As I write this I am frantically finishing my dissertation (MSc) which has been granted an extension on the time frame for submission owing to personal circumstances.

ItBoilsMyPiss Fri 01-May-15 13:47:43

Theres 3 of these posts on this board at last count... All different titles and worded slightly different in the OP. confused

SavoyCabbage Fri 01-May-15 14:03:53

No matter how many threads there are, I don't think you are going to find many people who will advise you to chuck in the towel for the sake of two weeks. You should do the exams. More so now in fact, as there is instability in the family.

Patapouf Fri 01-May-15 19:36:07

You were given the same advice yesterday.

Email your supervisor and ask about taking an academic leave of absence so you can pick it up when things are more settled.

fedupnorthernmum Thu 11-Jun-15 13:41:31

So sorry did not realise that the other threads had posted! All good advice and gratefully received.

PenguinBollards Thu 11-Jun-15 13:58:42

Have you already taken your daughter out of private school? Is this why she's at a new school where the other pupils 'dress like hookers'?

Pancakeflipper Thu 11-Jun-15 14:04:59

Complete your first year then worry/sort out other years later

Off to hunt state school hookers - is that on the new curriculum?

PenguinBollards Thu 11-Jun-15 14:07:41

It's interesting, OP, but your tone and writing style in this post is worlds away from your tone in your other thread.

If I hadn't recognised your username I'd never have pegged you for the same poster in a million years.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:07:56

I don't understand what your fathers business has got to do with your degree?

Explain please how it affects you

fedupnorthernmum Thu 11-Jun-15 14:08:25

Sorry Penguin and Pancake I did not mean to offend anyone with my last post can see now why I upset people. I was not deliberately being inflammatory and apologise to everyone I upset.

fedupnorthernmum Thu 11-Jun-15 14:10:50

It means that I have to go back to work due to finances. My earlier comments were in no way related to her having gone private before as I like the school, the children are lovely and my Dsis children go there.

Pancakeflipper Thu 11-Jun-15 14:12:02

She has explained Quitelikely. Her father has business issues. She now has to go to work.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:14:18

Finances how though?

Was your father paying your bills?

Because the government can give you a loan and grant to cover your fees and childcare costs. You get extra assistance for being a single parent.

What will you struggle to afford?

QuiteLikely5 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:16:29

Dress like hookers? The op has not mentioned that on this thread and so I don't see why it's relevant.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 11-Jun-15 14:17:48

Anyway all universities have an access to learning fund. This fund can be accessed by students who's studying is going to be affected due to financial hardship.

That's why I ask what hardship we are talking about?

fedupnorthernmum Thu 11-Jun-15 14:18:37

Father paid school fees and also contributed in other ways. The real issue is that I don't have a pension and my DH has one but not a very good one. My health issues also worry me as the eye condition is something that means I could loose my driving license and because of my foot public transport is out. My thinking is that if I go back to work now I could start paying into a pension.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now