to Tories are only savage to working age people

(30 Posts)
nettlewine Thu 30-Apr-15 17:49:08

Yet again more cuts to benefits and in particular child benefit but at the same time all pensioners benefits are protected, again. Doesn't seem fair at all, I thought we were all in this together?

My parents would both like to not have the wfa and free bus pass as there are people more in need of them. They are higher rate tax payers so really don't need it. They give away the wfa but still it probably wastes a lot in admin giving them this.

Financeprincess Thu 30-Apr-15 17:50:53

It sounds better than "the Tories are savage to children and old people", though, doesn't it?

DoraGora Thu 30-Apr-15 17:52:02

An awful lot of pensioners vote Tory, and there's no point in being mean to children.

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 30-Apr-15 17:54:14

Have any of them used the "We're all in it together" line recently or have they quietly junked in the face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

Jackieharris Thu 30-Apr-15 17:57:20

Pensioners vote, lots of younger people don't.

It's that simple.

OrangeVase Thu 30-Apr-15 17:57:29

Yeah they really should be savage to children and old people too. Then we'd all be i nit together

sebsmummy1 Thu 30-Apr-15 17:59:18

I'm glad my parents aren't being targeted. Neither of them have or use a free bus pass so I wouldn't get your knickers too twisted about that benefit.

I'm sure many pensioners living rurally are using cars to get about as the bus service is so irregular or just doesn't exist.

geekymommy Thu 30-Apr-15 18:00:58

US politicians do this kind of thing, too. It seems that seniors are more likely to vote than younger people, so the politicians don't want to piss them off.

PtolemysNeedle Thu 30-Apr-15 18:01:18

It would waste far more in admin if WFA wasn't given to every pensioner. That's why it's done like this.

BettyCatKitten Thu 30-Apr-15 18:03:11

Yanbu, as pp have said, old people more likely to vote, it's them they're counting on. Fuck the rest of us!

FaFoutis Thu 30-Apr-15 18:06:21

I would think that cutting child benefit is going to affect the children. Savage to children too.

sebsmummy1 Thu 30-Apr-15 18:10:33

I think you need to just vote YOUR vote and let everyone else get on with casting their votes based on the policies that resonate with them.

I think I'm going to vote Green as I was really impressed with their policies in the leaders debate but I'm not going to scream and shout about other people who want to vote Labour or Conservative.

People will always vote for policies that will help their own families and community. If older people want to vote Conservative because they feel they have their interests at heart then good for them. They are hardly going to vote for policies that will help total strangers, we are ultimately all selfish.

ollieplimsoles Thu 30-Apr-15 18:11:10

They always say they cant touch pensioners because they have paid into the system all their working lives so they get the benefits in old age. Its not just tory, labour said they wont make any changes to the benefits pensioners get.

lovingmatleave Thu 30-Apr-15 18:16:33

What more cuts to child benefit???They've actually just said they have no more plans to cut child benefit. The story is based on three old paper.I am not in any way defending them and will no way be voting for them. I am just just fed up of misinformation getting banded about like wildfire and the way the LIDdems who after after propping up the conservative gov't are now all about slagging them off.

Andrewofgg Thu 30-Apr-15 18:17:15

nettlewine Your parents don't have to apply for or use the free travel. But stay off the back of those who do.

FaFoutis Thu 30-Apr-15 18:17:19

I don't think we are all ultimately selfish. That is a horrible idea.

I vote on the basis of what I feel to be right, not what will benefit me.

sebsmummy1 Thu 30-Apr-15 18:48:17

What you feel is right FaFoutis. It's a decision based on what you yourself feel is the right choice? You are not voting for me and what I consider to be correct as that would be strange, you don't know me. You certainly might be voting for what you perceive to be what is best for the country or even the world, but it is still a decision based on your own thoughts and your own moral compass.

FaFoutis Thu 30-Apr-15 19:09:07

They are hardly going to vote for policies that will help total strangers, we are ultimately all selfish.

That is what I was responding to. I would vote for policies that I think will help total strangers, at my own expense if necessary. I would vote for a party that made me pay higher taxes, for example, because I think that is right. Absolutely no self-interest in that, unless I benefit by propping up my own identity as a left-wing do-gooder.

Hidingmyidentity Thu 30-Apr-15 19:16:51

OP if your parents would rather not have the winter fuel allowance or free bus passes then tell them not to claim them, it isn't compulsory.

ilovesooty Thu 30-Apr-15 19:20:51

They could donate to local charities if they're concerned about families living on poverty.

They could not claim their free bus passes.

sebsmummy1 Thu 30-Apr-15 19:23:46

FaFoutis if that's the case then you are a rare creature indeed and thank god there are people in the world like you.

MythicalKings Thu 30-Apr-15 19:26:19

They are hardly going to vote for policies that will help total strangers, we are ultimately all selfish

I do. I would be better off under the Tories but this old lady will be voting Labour.

FaFoutis Thu 30-Apr-15 19:27:11

Thank you sebsmummy! I think there are lots like me.

FaFoutis Thu 30-Apr-15 19:27:40

You see, there's one.

expatinscotland Thu 30-Apr-15 19:29:23

'It would waste far more in admin if WFA wasn't given to every pensioner. That's why it's done like this.'

No it won't. Link it to those in receipt of Pension Tax Credits. Yank it for everyone else. Done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now