Talk

Advanced search

to think 'omg there's something WRONG with her FACE' when I see so many American actresses

(224 Posts)
OTheHugeManatee Thu 30-Apr-15 10:28:09

Especially older ones. Their mouths don't move properly! It always looks like they're trying to hold in a mouthful of marbles. I think it's all the Botox and it gives me the creeps.

I find it really unfair that male actors are allowed to have foreheads and lips that actually MOVE while the moment women hit 28 or so they're supposed to become increasingly mannequin-like. Often too you see these frozen old-lady-dolls playing great characters and their weird, weird faces just makes me dislike them no matter what. AIBU to be creeped out by it? Should I just accept that this is the way the world is now?

FeijoaSundae Thu 30-Apr-15 10:31:01

It is the way of the world because the pressure is on women much more than it is on men. To look beautiful and youthful.

It's not fair.

I was just watching Amanda Holden in TV, and couldn't believe the state of her. She's in her 40s, right.....? I mean, she looks amazing. But...

tametempo Thu 30-Apr-15 10:32:28

I find it a bit depressing to be honest.
But I'm sure some people will liken it to being no different than applying make up. Just people trying to look their best...

OTheHugeManatee Thu 30-Apr-15 10:35:06

The thing is so often it doesn't even look nice - it looks creepy or downright disturbing. I saw Liza Minnelli in Arrested Development and she's had so much Botox around her mouth she looks like she's had a stroke shock

I know there are huge pressures on women to 'look their best' ie carry on looking 25 forever, but surely a few wrinkles are better than looking like you have neurological problems?

JuneFromBethesda Thu 30-Apr-15 10:38:59

It's not very sisterly to say it. But I agree with you. I caught a bit of a film with Meg Ryan in it last week and was fascinated by her face, and not in a good way. Parts of it just didn't move. It's so sad - she had a nice face before. I wish so many actresses didn't succumb to the pressure - I'd far rather look at a face that has aged naturally than one that has been artificially plumped and ironed out.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 30-Apr-15 10:39:10

The 'hamster' look is fillers.
Too many fillers and too much botox = not a good look.
Even the gorgeous Jennifer Aniston is looking seriously odd these days.
I can enhance and improve you but when you go too far it's not a good look.

FeijoaSundae Thu 30-Apr-15 10:39:22

Don't get me wrong, I like to look my best, wear make-up, dress well, heels, yada, yada.... But I will never get plastic surgery or botox. I don't judge those who do, because it is all on the continuum, and if you wear make-up, you can't be that disparaging...

But it is interesting to look at it through a particular lens and ask why women are so much susceptible to all this than men are.

Sansarya Thu 30-Apr-15 10:40:55

Courtney Cox is the one that I've noticed lately. She was so stunning in Friends and would've aged wonderfully but instead she's gone down the route of Botox and fillers and looks overly "done". I understand that it's because of the pressure to stay looking young in Hollywood but it's such a shame.

0x530x610x750x630x79 Thu 30-Apr-15 10:41:20

i got this through upworthy and it is funny, but listen when there are no kids around, or not on the speaker at work:
www.salon.com/2015/04/22/the_media_decides_when_youre_no_longer_believably_fkable_amy_schumer_tears_into_industry_sexism/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

FeijoaSundae Thu 30-Apr-15 10:42:36

And the thing is, when we know someone is 45, or in the case of Liza; 75... then it's completely obvious they've had work. And once you start to have work, you begin to look like someone who's 'had work'. You no longer look 'great for your age'. You look like someone who's 'had work done'.

You know, we know it, and yet on it goes...

MarvellousMarbles Thu 30-Apr-15 10:43:50

It is such a shame. They end up not looking quite human.

FeijoaSundae Thu 30-Apr-15 10:44:46

Yes, Courtney Cox. Again, it feels awful to discuss someone, and I appreciate why she's done it.

But she's got the look of Joan Rivers about her now...

BabyTuckoo Thu 30-Apr-15 10:45:16

Yes, I realise that without knowing anything about fillers or the like, I can now recognise when someone has had them done, purely from wondering what on earth had caused that weird shiny slightly blank-faced thing on so many actresses. (Nicole Kidman! Meg Ryan!) I saw A Little Chaos (Alan Rickman-directed film about a female gardener at Versailles under Louis XIV), which was inane, but it was actually nice to see Kate Winslet having, you know, actual forehead wrinkles. While still looking incandescently gorgeous.

Well aware of the horrific pressures on women in the public eye, especially those who are at least in part cast for their looks, but yes, it's depressing. I don't think there's anything unsisterly in registering that. It's when other women join in the 'shrieking at celebrity cellulite' stuff that it becomes antifeminist.

mojo17 Thu 30-Apr-15 10:45:39

I agree and also doesn't it negate the acting for them y'know showing different, or any, emotion? Because it seems to me that there is only one expression they have so how do we know when the acting kicks in?

abigamarone Thu 30-Apr-15 10:50:48

I watched the amazon prime series 'Bosch' recently, fairly unusual in that it had several actresses minus botox and fillers, who looked like women rather than plastic accessories. Shocking really that it was something to notice.

Mrsjayy Thu 30-Apr-15 10:54:53

Not just Us actresses but uk to tv presenters with shiny foreheads weird lips its unsettiling i dont like it either. But the omg what is wrong with your face reaction happens a lot in my house.

however Thu 30-Apr-15 10:57:08

IRL it looks freakier. I have a friend who goes way overboard with it.

Mrsjayy Thu 30-Apr-15 10:57:57

Although sly stallone in the new bread advertr got an omg his face when i saw it the other day

Sansarya Thu 30-Apr-15 11:00:20

Mrsjayy a few months ago I started watching Have I Got News For You about 5 minutes in, and it took me a while to realise that Kirsty Young was hosting it. She is a very attractive woman but I have no idea what she’d done to her face.

Mrsjayy Thu 30-Apr-15 11:00:44

I saw a girl i went to school with last week I didnt recognise her she had to tell me who she was there was a lot of stuff going on

tametempo Thu 30-Apr-15 11:01:35

Yes, a surprising number of men are starting to have it done now.
Jeremy Kyle admitted to it ffs! shock

ivykaty44 Thu 30-Apr-15 11:06:21

I don't understand why they want to have injections in their face or go under the knife, but they do and it makes unpleasant watching - but there is an off button and you don't have to watch these grotesquely unmanipulsted faces. If you stop watching in drives then they may rethink

KikitheKitKat Thu 30-Apr-15 11:07:56

I instantly thought of Liza Minelli too when I read the op. Saw her in Drop Dead Diva a while ago and she couldn't talk properly!

fatlazymummy Thu 30-Apr-15 11:11:07

It's becoming more common over here as well. Nigella's face looks a bit 'off' to me now. She had a bit of the Michael Jackson look. There seems to be a tipping point, where they look ok, but are just starting to look slightly strange and any more will be too much.Kylie Minogue looked like that the last time I saw her on TV.
I've been told that lots of people have it and no one notices because they get it just right, so fair enough.

TrollshaveLittleWillies Thu 30-Apr-15 11:12:46

I think plastic surgery can make woman and men look really odd. You would presume the 'stars' would go to the best surgeons available and yet they still end up looking awful. Some of them go to far. The wide eyed, shiney forehead with the weird lips just looks strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now