Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you have any odd habits?

(105 Posts)
SarfEasticatedMumma Wed 29-Apr-15 23:25:56

I love pulling out bristly eyebrow hairs and tickling my upper lip with the end of it. That's really weird isn't. Please join in and make me feel better about myself...

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 29-Apr-15 23:29:24

When I get stressed I pull out my eyelashes. I did not look good GCSE and Alevel years.

SisterJulienne Wed 29-Apr-15 23:31:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marmaladedandelions Wed 29-Apr-15 23:35:27

Screwing my face up even though I can't smell anything unpleasant.

Tugging at the skin between my nose and mouth.

Tugging at the skin on my hands.

Squeezing spots that have long-since vanished. Got so many scars but still do it blush

SarfEasticatedMumma Wed 29-Apr-15 23:36:28

Do you think we get some kind of fundraising going hacked? we are obviously a worthy cause with our bald eyes and eye sockets. I wonder if it's a thing?

SarfEasticatedMumma Wed 29-Apr-15 23:37:58

It's very satisfying when you push a spot though marmalade i can understand the going back for one last go...

LittleIda Wed 29-Apr-15 23:38:14

How strange! I came on to say eyelash pulling but wasn't expecting other people to have said the same! I don't have much of my top set of lashes left at the moment.

Marmaladedandelions Wed 29-Apr-15 23:38:38

I get it in my head there's still some pus left in. This is specific to one area and it isn't pretty.

LittleIda Wed 29-Apr-15 23:39:11

It's called trichotillomania

LittleIda Wed 29-Apr-15 23:39:38

(Hair pulling I mean)

lunalelle Wed 29-Apr-15 23:39:50

I also do the eyelash thing smile

rebelfor Wed 29-Apr-15 23:43:49

Running my tongue along my upper teeth when I'm concentrating on something.

SarfEasticatedMumma Wed 29-Apr-15 23:46:38

Do you eyelash pullers tickle your upper lip with the hair, or is it the actually pulling it out that does the trick...

Chorister Thu 30-Apr-15 00:20:45

I'm another invisible spot picker. My skin is a mess, can't go out without makeup, but I can't stop the squeezing and picking. sad I also pull hair out of my head and eyelashes if it feels "wrong".

Ludoole Thu 30-Apr-15 00:28:23

I play with the nails on my little toes until they fall off....blush

LittleIda Thu 30-Apr-15 00:41:09

Yes, I touch the root of the eyelash on my top lip too. It's strange that that seems to be a part of it. When I googled it I found out there is a celeb who eyelash pulls. Will look for it

LittleIda Thu 30-Apr-15 00:52:20

It was someone called Olivia Munn. Can only find DM article

SmillasSenseOfSnow Thu 30-Apr-15 00:57:33

I pick the skin off my lips. I think I read that it's linked to OCD and body dysmorphia but I'm not really sure. I've done it since I was about 9, and I'm 27 now. So... not really got high hopes about stopping. I find it really shameful that I do it, the result looks frigging ugly, and for some reason I totally unconsciously smell under my thumbnail after I do it sometimes, if I've got a kind of blood-ish smell on it, I think. I honestly have no idea why, it must look fucking nuts.

I also pull at my eyelashes but it's only if the base of them is itchy, so I don't suppose that's too odd - it's to stop them itching, the point is not actually to make them fall out if they're still properly attached.

justonemoretime2p Thu 30-Apr-15 01:42:53

I have a normal not shower, then at the end I turn the temperature as low as possible and then I dump a bucket of ice water over my head.
I also keep towels in the freezer for after a work out.

LaLaLaaaa Thu 30-Apr-15 03:41:48

I miaow when I'm embarrassed. No idea why - if I think back to something I've said or done that I'm embarrassed by then a miaow just comes out.

I also pull out eyelashes

ollieplimsoles Thu 30-Apr-15 06:33:34

When I eat ice cream, I blow on it on the spoon before putting it my mouth, like you would with hot soup or something confused

Catsahoy Thu 30-Apr-15 06:42:56

I pull the skin off my hands. It's disgusting. My fingers and thumbs look like they've been peeled. A truly disgusting habit.

Anyone else?

CrohnicallyInflexible Thu 30-Apr-15 06:52:06

catsahoy I pick skin too, especially around my nails, and my lips like smilla. I'm trying really hard not to, and I've started carrying a small toy in my pocket and if I find myself picking I fiddle with the toy instead.

Ducky23 Thu 30-Apr-15 06:54:19

Smillas I'm a lip picker too!

buildalegohouse Thu 30-Apr-15 07:19:35

I scratch when I dont have an itch. When I am stressed or in an uncomfortable situation I scratch at the skin on my arm until it is raw. I constantly have to wear long sleeves, even in summer.

I also use dental floss to rub my gums until they bleed. I love the 'hurts in a good way' pain it causes.

I often wonder if these things are a kind of self harm. I think about seeking advice or help but I hate the thought of being made to stop as they provide such comfort and stress relief.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now