Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder "What the fuck were you thinking?!" - Budweiser

(16 Posts)
GloGirl Wed 29-Apr-15 20:39:30

Budwieser Light has a nice cheery slogan on their US beer bottles recently, whilst they're not printing any more you can still buy them in stores apparently.

If you can't see the attached image the label is part of their #UpForWhatever campaign and says “The perfect beer for removing ‘no’ from your vocabulary for the night.”

No, really.

www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/business/bud-light-withdraws-slogan-after-it-draws-ire-online.html?_r=0

shock

shewept Wed 29-Apr-15 20:45:15

I can't believe they didn't think of the implications of this slogan. I assume they are referring to people who say not to a beer due to the calorie or carb content, but how no one thought it was inappropriate I just can't fathom.

Butteredparsnips Wed 29-Apr-15 20:55:15

They really weren't thinking at all though were they...

GloGirl Wed 29-Apr-15 21:47:44

I just told my DH what it said and his face was a natural replica of this smiley confused

shewept Fri 01-May-15 06:25:50

No butter they weren't. But I would have thought in all the meetings from deciding the slogan right through to the art department.....no one thought to say 'hang on.....that doesn't sound quite right's

There will have been hundreds of people who saw this before it launched. Probably including putting it in front of customers to to see what they thought of it. Either no one mentioned it, or anhauseur Busch were told and decided to press on anyway. Either out of arrogance, ignorance on because they knew it would attract media attention.

SoupDragon Fri 01-May-15 06:33:00

I can understand that, when the slogan was suggested, they didn't see another meaning but I can't believe no one in the process said "are you sure...?"

HellKitty Fri 01-May-15 06:33:14

It's probably to stop this -
'Would you like a decent beer?'
'No'
'Ok, you can have a bottle of Bud shite then.'

I will never buy it again. Stopped for years with the 'wassup' crap.

FeijoaSundae Fri 01-May-15 06:48:17

Absolutely what shewept said. I work in communications, and I know exactly how much every single syllable is poured over and analysed to the nth degree, before copy is approved and released.

There is no way the implications of this weren't acknowledged and discussed.

shewept Fri 01-May-15 06:52:06

Exactly Feijoa I am currently working with a huge fitness company on some products, the meetings, the dissection of everything is so massive i don't believe that no one mentioned it at all. Makes me think companies that launch these slogans that people complain about know exactly what they are doing.

TheBlackRider Fri 01-May-15 06:59:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HapShawl Fri 01-May-15 07:06:42

I reckon they know exactly what they were implying, but thought they were being terribly clever and snigger-snigger funny. And what TBR said

YouBetterWerk Fri 01-May-15 07:24:46

Grim.

chrome100 Fri 01-May-15 07:27:28

Ok, I don't get it..?

cleanmyhouse Fri 01-May-15 07:38:00

You really don't get it?

No means no? Yes?

GloGirl Fri 01-May-15 08:22:16

To me it implies getting women drunk removes the word no from their vocabulary chrome

My DH was slightly more charitable after trying to think why anyone thought that'd be a good idea and said "Drink it and you'll say yes to things like kareoke?"

TheBlackRider Fri 01-May-15 08:27:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now