Talk

Advanced search

Who is being unreasonable re dog & cats?

(114 Posts)
LaLyra Mon 06-Apr-15 17:33:02

My head is pickled thanks to a row with my neighbour (well more neighbour had a go at me and I said I thought he was wrong so he shouted some more until I walked away until he can talk like a civil adult).

I have 3 cats. On sunny days, like today, my cats like to lie in my garden. All morning and most of the afternoon they were on the patio slabs asleep in the sun. Now the sun has moved/mostly gone, one of the cats (who is a sun worshipper) has moved to lie on the wall as it's higher and still in a sunny spot.

My neighbour has 2 dogs. One is a Westie who on his own is fine, doesn't bat an eyelid at the cats. The other is a little yappy thing, no idea of breed. This dog barks at everything especially the cats. It is currently going nuts at the cat, who is on the wall asleep ignoring it, this (as always) has set the Westie off barking as well.

When the cats are low in the garden the dogs can't see them because after the neighbour moved in last year he used to put the dogs out in the garden while he got on with decorating. At that point the noise didn't bother him, but I had a newborn and it drove me mad. So after trying and suggesting various things, including keeping my cats in of a morning and only letting them out after the dogs had had several hours in the garden to which he said I could go fuck myself if I thought I was keeping his dogs in all afternoon (this was the second time I'd ever spoken to him so this is the level of co-operation I've got) we put up fence panels that they can't see though. We're not allowed high fences and the boundary fence is actually his so we built that fence inside our garden. The fence works for most of the day.

Neighbour now works in a school so is about more during the holidays. He stormed out tonight ranting and raving about how he's not listening to my cats tormenting his dogs all holidays. Won't accept at all that his dog (who barks at the postman, us in our garden, anyone walking past, cars driving by, birds flying, trees moving in the wind - i.e. it barks constantly!) is the problem.

Am I missing something? Should I somehow be enforcing a height restriction on my cats or should he actually try and do something with his dog to stop it barking so much?

Apparently he's going to speak to the council noise people. Surely they can't do anything as I/my cats are not making any noise?

bimandbam Mon 06-Apr-15 17:37:30

He is going to complain to the noise people because your cat is making his dogs noisy?

Ask if you can go too.

TenerifeSea Mon 06-Apr-15 17:37:32

"Apparently he's going to speak to the council noise people."

And report himself?! grin Nah, YANBU if it's his dog barking at your cats who are just sitting and chilling out.

WorraLiberty Mon 06-Apr-15 17:38:48

Apparently he's going to speak to the council noise people.

I'm sorry OP but that's the funniest thing I've read all week! grin grin

Ignore the guy, he's a muppet. It's up to him to keep his dogs quiet or keep them in.

Dieu Mon 06-Apr-15 17:39:47

He sounds ridiculous and his dogs a pain in the arse. How anyone can live with a yappy dog is beyond me (and I love dogs). I love your cats' nonchalance at sleeping on the wall anyway!

maliaki Mon 06-Apr-15 17:41:19

He's being a precious idiot, he's probably had complaints about the dog being yappy if it barks at anything and wants something to blame. Most likely environment health have been complained too and have approached him. Buy a £1 water pistol, give it to him to chase the cat away if it is such a bother and make it clear he can get repellents but that it's his problem.

He can't do anything, his dog and it's to blame so he'll just be shooting himself in the foot with it. Point out that his dog is making the noise and perhaps he should keep it indoors so no external factors can set it off.

Pipbin Mon 06-Apr-15 17:41:24

He can speak to the council noise people all he likes, I doubt he'll get far.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 06-Apr-15 17:41:53

I wish I was a fly on the wall for that conversation...

"your neighbours' dogs are a noise nuisance?"
"no, my dogs"
"ummmmmmm"

SnakeyMcBadass Mon 06-Apr-15 17:42:26

I'd get more cats. Div.

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 06-Apr-15 17:42:59

Too funny grin
Please encourage him to go and report your (presumably fairly quiet) cats to the noise bods....for what? Provocation? Incitement to yappery? grin

LaLyra Mon 06-Apr-15 17:46:26

Maliaki He can't chase the cat away because it's merely sleeping it my/its garden. The cats don't go in his garden. Partly because of the dogs, but also because they can get through our gate which is infinitely easier for the lazy sods than climbing a fence.

bimandbam That made me chuckle, maybe I should go smile Yep. He's going to report me to the council because his dogs bark at my cats...

It's ridiculous. I'm >.< to reporting his precious bloody dog to the noise people. It's constantly sodding barking.

Micah Mon 06-Apr-15 17:51:02

Don't forget though, cats shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised to annoy dogs/crap in gardens.

Is it his wall? Your cat shouldn't be allowed on it. Build it a run in your garden or keep it indoors.

grin

hedgehogsdontbite Mon 06-Apr-15 17:52:53

I bet your cat is doing it on purpose. Evil dog tormenting buggers that they are.

ThingummyJigg Mon 06-Apr-15 17:58:34

Sorry LaLyra but your neighbour is, er, barking. This is too funny. You've been more than reasonable, he is a loony.

I don't know if there is a council department for dealing with antagonistically sunbathing cats.

His complaint can only end well......

Staywithme Mon 06-Apr-15 18:04:09

I recommend getting one of these and securing it to the top of the wall.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 06-Apr-15 18:13:05

My neighbours dog barks constantly too. Can't go in to the garden without it barking and growling. Eventually she gets annoyed and takes it inside. I think she thinks we hate dogs, and told us with glee that the people she has sold to have dogs too.

I don't GAF about dogs... Its badly trained yappy gits we don't like. wink

woowoo22 Mon 06-Apr-15 18:15:37

B
O
N
K
E
R
S

Report the bloody dogs! But wait til he's reported you first. Cats being... cats... angry at him on your behalf. Weirdo!!

Boutonneux Mon 06-Apr-15 18:18:06

He is a lunatic. A very selfish one at that; does he not consider how annoying the barking must be to the other neighbours?

MrsCakesPrecognitionisSwitched Mon 06-Apr-15 18:18:20

I don't like cats or dogs - but YANBU.

Do you think he is hard of thinking?

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Mon 06-Apr-15 18:22:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ratfinkandbobo Mon 06-Apr-15 18:25:49

grin reporting your sleeping cats to the council.
What a plonker!
Marking my place for future updates

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 06-Apr-15 18:29:05

Haha,Ivey your cats are thinking 'stupid twats' while lolling on the wall.

I love cats tbugrin

StillStayingClassySanDiego Mon 06-Apr-15 18:29:32

*I bet.

jerryfudd Mon 06-Apr-15 18:33:19

Can't wait for the thread from the council employee filling out the paperwork on that one grin

RandomMess Mon 06-Apr-15 18:34:52

OMG that is hysterical. Surely if the barking is annoying him he just makes his yappy dog stay inside, sorted!!!

I love the idea of trying to get the cats to recognise any sort discipline regarding where they may or may no go...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now