To lie about DD's age to get her in free?

(376 Posts)
Kasterborous Wed 25-Mar-15 14:56:23

I'm prepared to be told I was being unreasonable. We took DD who turned three 24 days ago to our local Wildlife park today. Under three they get in free, over three it's £10.00 which seems a lot so we said she was two. I know it was dishonest and next time we will pay for her.

Pyjamasandwine Wed 25-Mar-15 14:59:41

Who doesn't do this?

spoonjarjarspoonjar Wed 25-Mar-15 15:01:47

I think it is definitely unreasonable to do this.

These places have costs to meet, animals to feed, staff to pay and so on. I don't think it is fair to deprive them of the entrance fee that you should have paid.

DiDiddlyIDi Wed 25-Mar-15 15:03:38

You know what you have done is wrong, I'm unsure if you're gloating or wanting a pat on the back. No idea what you seek to achieve from your post whatsoever!

Groovester Wed 25-Mar-15 15:03:52

Yanbu

Breathe easily op.

richthegreatcornholio Wed 25-Mar-15 15:04:27

Are you just a casual fraudster OP?

CrapBag Wed 25-Mar-15 15:04:40

I did this the other day for swimming. Can't be bothered to get worked up about it. I paid for myself to sit in a pool while DS floats and splashes about for free.

Most people probably do this. But this is MN and AIBU so be prepared.....

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Wed 25-Mar-15 15:06:36

I said my son was under 1 to get in to soft play until he was about 18 months.

However this is MN so everyone will tell you it's theft!

Kasterborous Wed 25-Mar-15 15:07:57

DiDidly I suppose I just wanted to know if anyone else does it. I'm not gloating or looking for a pat on the back.

ineedtogetthisout Wed 25-Mar-15 15:08:26

Yanbu at all. 99% of the population do this.

PHANTOMnamechanger Wed 25-Mar-15 15:09:44

Could you easily afford to have paid? is the wildlife centre a charity? if the answer to either is yes YABU but if you are struggling financially, dont get many treats, and this is deffo a one off I would be more sympathetic.

But at least you did not ask a friend to pay then refuse to pay them back on the grounds it was too cold/DD did not like the animals enough (sorry that's another thread)

PHANTOMnamechanger Wed 25-Mar-15 15:10:42

99% of the population do this grin really? where d'ya get such info from? I would like to think the majority are honest.

DextersMistress Wed 25-Mar-15 15:10:46

Meh. I did it a few weeks ago at a theme park where kids under 90cm go free. Ds was 91cm so I kept him in the buggy til we were in. As with you, well pay next time. It was 1 little freebie!

ordinarybloke Wed 25-Mar-15 15:11:20

You are not only being uunreasonable because of the aforementioned point about the estestablishment having to cover their costs,you are also setting a bad example for you DC by showing that lying and breaking rules is pperfectly acceptable.

Golferman Wed 25-Mar-15 15:11:42

Last Summer my DIL took her three kids to a local safari park on a special voucher, as one friend of my GD wanted to go they hid her under a blanket in car to save paying for her.......

trukevoli Wed 25-Mar-15 15:11:51

My parents did this with me saying I was under 16...I was 23 at the time.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 25-Mar-15 15:13:17

I do it, but once I'm in I'll go wild buying food from the restaurant or something from the gift shop to make up for it.

MythicalKings Wed 25-Mar-15 15:14:43

YABU - makes everyone else have to pay more. It's theft.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 25-Mar-15 15:15:15

Mind, I found the one age you can't do it is around 3, if they are at all in earshot when the cashier asks, rest assured they'll be answering loudly 'I'm 3, and my sisters 4 and she's called Sarah.'

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 25-Mar-15 15:16:20

I'm not sure why you posted it for approval. You have already done it. It won't make a difference if a bunch of strangers approve of not.

FWIW I say my nearly 4yo is 3 to get in ths local zoo for free. DH and I are only annual members because of DD. So I don't feel guilty about it. It's so expensive. And besides DD looks no bigger than some 2yo I have met in playgroups so I know she can pass. I am getting a membership for her 4th birthday but tbh I think she could get away with it still.

ineedtogetthisout Wed 25-Mar-15 15:18:49

PHANTOM that statistic was scientifically concluded from a survey conducted between people I know so it must be true grin

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 25-Mar-15 15:19:52

indeed I won't admit not paying irl smile

glittertits Wed 25-Mar-15 15:20:54

My grandad used to take my 7 year old mum to see Manchester United. He wrapped her up, under his coat and carried her in, saying she was a toddler. (Toddlers went free back in those days).

Mum remembers it fondly.

Its not right, but it is hardly a terrible crime. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

NotActuallyAMum Wed 25-Mar-15 15:21:22

She may grass you up like my niece did

Nooooo Auntieeeee! I'm 6 not 5

I still cringe 20 years on

Kasterborous Wed 25-Mar-15 15:21:24

I suppose it's because I actually do feel quite guilty now as I should have paid. I will pay next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now