Talk

Advanced search

To ask what kind of music your DCs listen to?

(21 Posts)
Evelight Wed 18-Feb-15 18:25:00

As a family (also talking about my siblings here), we've always been very passionate about pop/rock music, eg, my siblings would fight about Axl and Slash in the nineties, DH had a poster of james hetfield up in our bedroom, and we go to live concerts whenever we can (increasingly rare, now living in small town Canada), my sister talks obsessively about Jack White etc.

DD, aged 12, listens to "indie rock" which seems to be a lot of the soundtrack for Gossip Girl, but I'm also unreasonably proud of her for adoring Pulp and young Jarvis Cocker.

DS, aged 9 listens to a lot of minecraft covers of famous rock / metal songs , some of which are super cute. The other day Pink Floyd's "Another brick..." came on the radio and he suddenly yelled "Oh I love this song!"- another superproud mom moment.

Which had me wondering, what kinds of songs your kids listen to? At what age? And are we all stuck in the eighties and nineties music-wise and has this affected our kids?

skylark2 Wed 18-Feb-15 18:28:09

DD is pretty much into whatever's popular right now - she's 18.

DS is a 15 year old classical nerd, most likely to be found listening to Rachmaninoff. He gets that from me.

SaucyJack Wed 18-Feb-15 18:30:11

Why does it matter?

We get it. You have hipster kids. Well done.

Idontseeanysontarans Wed 18-Feb-15 18:38:13

DS listens to a mixture of thumping crap with no discernible tune and pretty decent stuff. Like most teens I would imagine smile

Evelight Wed 18-Feb-15 18:39:52

@saucyJack- thank you. I do feel proud!

QueenofLouisiana Wed 18-Feb-15 18:40:15

DS likes Queen, Genisis, Aerosmith- lots of drumming to be heard! He also likes Kaiser Chiefs, The Script, Bastille. He listens to anyone else suggested by his drum teacher.

Mainly listens to Stampy and TDM on YouTube though <sigh>

FryOneFatManic Wed 18-Feb-15 18:42:39

DD, aged 14, is into pop.

DS, aged 11, is into metal/rock. Which is fine, he takes after me (DP is more into the prog rock stuff). DS even likes Rammstein grin but as he can't speak German, that's fine, for now. I just skip past the songs with any English in them if DS is in the car.....

RonaldMcDonald Wed 18-Feb-15 18:46:30

Family interested in music begets children interested in music shocker
Gah

BackforGood Wed 18-Feb-15 18:49:46

Mine are 18, 16, and 13, and like all sorts of things, from all decades, to be fair.

CoolCadbury Wed 18-Feb-15 18:59:34

DS, 6, listens to all my music on the iPad.

TheFirstOfHerName Wed 18-Feb-15 19:01:26

DD (10) likes the Vamps.

DS3 (also 10) likes everything except Justin Bieber.

ouryve Wed 18-Feb-15 19:07:22

DS1 (11) listens to an awful lot of dad rock!

He loves 80s stuff, too.

fattymcfatfat Wed 18-Feb-15 19:10:44

DS (6) listens to metal/rock...the kid loves iron maiden and has stolen my mcr cds. also has a7x and slayer on his list of loves. he also has a strange obsession with olly murs confused
DD (1) rocks out to metallica grin

TwoOddSocks Wed 18-Feb-15 19:17:26

DS (2) loves Bach (Brandenberg Concerto and the cello suite particularly), Vanilla ice and that song from the Milky way advert from ages ago ("the red car and the blue car had a race but all red wants to do is stuff his face"). Very eclectic.

Branleuse Wed 18-Feb-15 19:25:04

They like a lot of the stuff i listen to, unsurprisingly, which half of it is stuff i grew up with, so talking heads, bowie, beatles, but of their own accord they all love Mika, Katy Perry and Bruno Mars. My eldest quite likes nu-rock/metal, and middle boy really likes 1 direction

farmlass Wed 18-Feb-15 19:28:38

16 yr old ds a great drummer .really into punk .dh is reliving punk youth accompanying him to punk concerts. Dd SO embarrassed by dads new retro leather jacket. I love it!

18yearstooold Wed 18-Feb-15 19:33:06

Dd is very into pop punk, but if you are famous you can forget it!

She's at local gigs at least once a month (average ticket price £5)

She's only 13 so we take it in turns to take her and lurk at the back

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 18-Feb-15 19:47:58

DS1 is 14 and into Avenged Sevenfold, We Came As Romans, Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin.

Ds2 is 12 and into Gorillaz, The Smiths and old indie.

Ds3 is 7 and likes The Clash and the Horrible Histories songs.

My music is closest to Ds2 and 3's. It is streets away from Ds1's.

notquiteruralbliss Wed 18-Feb-15 20:05:18

Interesting question. DD1 always used to like indie / metal but I have no idea what she listens to these days. DD2 indie & R&B. DD3 indie plus anything with interesting drumming and DD4 indie plus whatever is on the radio.

They have all been to gigs and festivals from a young age. Artists they like include Libertines / Babyshambles / Dirty Pretty Things / Green Day / Lupen Crook / Amanda Palmer / Lowkey / Black Veil Brides / Dead Cat Bounce / beans on Toast and lots of much earlier stuff.

weaselsquirrel Wed 18-Feb-15 20:11:03

Ds11 is a huge eagles fan, has been for years took him to see them last year. Other than that he likes lots of country, Rolling Stones, beatles, kinks. My other children are 7,4 and 2 and they listen to what I put on beatles, johnny cash, any country music, beach boys.

slippermaiden Wed 18-Feb-15 20:35:21

My 7 year olds like the killers, Beatles, proclaimers, Neneh cherry, anything I have subjected them to over the last 7 years basically...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: