Talk

Advanced search

Shutters

(5 Posts)
oldboiler Wed 18-Feb-15 12:03:22

AIBU to think plantation shutters make the house look really smart or like DH do you think they look like prison bars?

MuttersDarkly Wed 18-Feb-15 12:07:18

Oh how I hated my slatted shutters in former homes.

I love my "flat solid " ones now.

Trying to clean between the slats and the sinking feeling if paintwork bubbled on a slat due to the annoying angle to be required of my sanding hand... arrrrhhhhhh !

I don't mind the look. But the maintence drove me batty.

Flat solid shutters rock. I will point blank refuse to ever buy a house with slatty ones ever again. Or will at least rip off the slatty ones and replace with flat.

Don't think they look like prison though. That's what the bars on my windows are for, giving the penitentiary look.

SomewhereIBelong Wed 18-Feb-15 12:07:31

I think our neighbours across from us with their white plantation adjustable slat shutters looks like a lock-up garage the way they open some of the slats at eye level.

Ugly from the outside, I'm guessing they look nicer from the inside.

CliveCussler Wed 18-Feb-15 12:10:12

I like the look of them on some houses, but I have a friend who has had them fitted and her house seems very dark now.

minipie Wed 18-Feb-15 12:26:23

I think they look nice but I think it's possible to go overboard.

The house opposite us has shutters covering the whole of every single window including even a couple of teeny tiny windows - it does make it look a bit unwelcoming.

We have shutters on one window, half height only. Considering getting another couple of windows done, again half height only. That's about as far as I'd go though...

Mutters I've never tried to clean or repaint ours blush they look ok to me...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: