Advanced search

To think ready trimmed beans should be trimmed at both ends?

(20 Posts)
Gregorianchant Tue 17-Feb-15 20:01:36

Ok, I know it's a first world problem but, having paid extra because I didn't want to faff around trimming the green beans tonight, I find I have to anyway because Waitrose 'ready trimmed' beans are only trimmed at one end. What's the point of that?

Primadonnagirl Tue 17-Feb-15 20:05:52

Oh that's really brightened up my day and made me laugh! Sorry if it wasn't meant to!

HootsMon Tue 17-Feb-15 20:20:20

Because only one end has the stalk on it? You can eat the other end.

MrsCakesPrecognition Tue 17-Feb-15 20:22:28

Why do you trim the non-stalky end? confused

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 17-Feb-15 20:24:03

YANBU - sort of. You always need to trim both ends anyway as they tend to be dry. Buy yes trimmed should be both ends.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 17-Feb-15 20:24:39

Yanbu! I did the same thing recently. Total con.

Tizwailor Tue 17-Feb-15 20:27:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SweetValentine Tue 17-Feb-15 20:56:03

Although i did see Jamie Oliver place them, still in the closed packet, on a chopping board and chopped the other end off with the knife and just tipped them out into. It was pretty nifty and what i do now.

julker Tue 17-Feb-15 20:57:51

I trim both ends and wonder why they don't come like that too

Tip - tip them to one side in the pack and cut (still in pack) much quicker and easier, if both ends need chopping you just tip them the other way and chop that side too smile especially useful for catching those fiddly little ones that hide behind the big ones when you try and get them lined up to chop!

DotRotten Tue 17-Feb-15 21:01:11

They're French trimmed.

It's continental, innit!?

julker Tue 17-Feb-15 21:44:23

Does continental stand for we only do half the job?? grin

Continental breakfast - couldn't be bothered offering a hot option
Continental green beans - couldn't be bothered cutting both ends but we did do one for you

Chertsey Tue 17-Feb-15 21:57:03

It's trendy now to leave the non stalky end on, like leaving a bit of leaf stalk on baby carrots.

Tizwailor Tue 17-Feb-15 22:21:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ARoomWithoutAView Tue 17-Feb-15 23:08:19

Were they Brazilian beans?

Lorialet Tue 17-Feb-15 23:09:58

I still give them another bit of a trim anyway, as I don't like the dried up ends.

SorchaN Wed 18-Feb-15 01:36:08

YANBU. I am going to try chopping the ends off while still in the package - genius!

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 18-Feb-15 01:47:34

Nooooo! You hold them all up on end like pickasticks, then lay them down and chop all the ugly, stalky/ dried ends off.

But you leave the other ends 'cos they're pretty smile

Gregorianchant Wed 18-Feb-15 06:02:30

I was posting half in jest but I am pleased that I did as there are some brilliant tips here - especially the one of tipping the packet and using the scissors to get them in one fell swoop! Why didn't I think of that?

FishWithABicycle Wed 18-Feb-15 06:31:07

I hate buying trimmed and always buy the untrimmed kind. If I accidentally have trimmed I always re-trim them as I don't want to eat the manky bit that was cut several days ago and is now dried out. I was under the impression that trimmed beans are for the retailer's benefit because they can cut beans of any length down to a standard size for packing, whereas my nice untrimmed beans must require someone to make the effort to sort the beans by size and package up all those between 8 and 10 cm. I'm not aware of the price difference but I'd consider trimmed beans to be worth less not more.

fallingdownrabbit Wed 18-Feb-15 06:52:05

Don't cut the bottom off! Cutting the bottom is a huge waste of resources. No one ever ate an untrimed bottom bean and thought "I wish someone had bothered to sniip this"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now