Talk

Advanced search

to JUST give pancakes for dinner??

(69 Posts)
Cooki3Monst3r Tue 17-Feb-15 15:57:47

I have never done this before in my life. In my family pancakes were for pudding, after a proper dinner.

But now it's 4pm, we haven't long finished lunch, the DCs have just had a banana milkshake and I can't quite be arsed to make dinner.

My DH's family used to only have pancakes for dinner on Shrove Tuesday. I used to think this was pretty close to neglect.

What do you do?

WireCat Tue 17-Feb-15 15:59:17

Just pancakes for me & the kids for dinner.
Dh will have a meal though as he won't want pancakes.

TheOriginalWinkly Tue 17-Feb-15 16:00:03

Have one savoury, one sweet one if it makes you feel better. That's what we're doing. Chicken leek and cream cheese in the savoury. You could do cheese and sweetcorn or something if you wanted.

KiteKit Tue 17-Feb-15 16:00:16

Today I won't do that as I have bolognaise ready but dd has often had pancakes, crispy bacon and maple syrup for dinner and I have no problem with that at all. One day won't kill anyone!

leedy Tue 17-Feb-15 16:01:24

Neglect? shock They're actual food, y'know, not the equivalent of making your children gnaw on a stick for sustenance. Also, ONE DAY A YEAR.

I am personally planning on a pancake-only dinner this evening, featuring savoury crepes (ham/cheese or smoked salmon/spinach) followed by sweet crepes for dinner.

kitchentableagain Tue 17-Feb-15 16:01:43

All of us (me, DH, XDP and 3 DC) are having thick fluffy pancakes with a selection of toppings including smoked bacon, butter, maple syrup, golden syrup, nutella, raspberries and whipped cream.

They can have the rest of their five a day tomorrow. :D

Sanch1 Tue 17-Feb-15 16:02:15

Just pancakes!

InfinitySeven Tue 17-Feb-15 16:02:59

We always have just pancakes for dinner. Otherwise it's a heavy pudding, and loads of extra calories.

Although today I'm tempted by Nandos...

InfinitySeven Tue 17-Feb-15 16:03:13

We always have just pancakes for dinner. Otherwise it's a heavy pudding, and loads of extra calories.

Although today I'm tempted by Nandos...

Tizwailor Tue 17-Feb-15 16:03:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mousefinkle Tue 17-Feb-15 16:03:35

We have savoury ones followed by sweet ones, same as I did as a child. Traditionally the first batch have cheesy beans in them and the sweet batch are the classic lemon and sugar.

We have pancakes for every meal on pancake day though grin. For lunch I stuffed crepes with scrambled egg and veggie bacon, twas delicious...

tigger32 Tue 17-Feb-15 16:03:51

Just pancakes for us toosmile This has always been the case in my family, DH used to struggle at first as his family alway did/do a meal first.

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 17-Feb-15 16:05:21

We quite often have pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon grilled to a crisp with lashings of maple syrup

To be fair it just me and OH, but we both normally stuffed after it grin

duckbilled Tue 17-Feb-15 16:05:46

Pancakes with bacon, poached eggs and syrup here wink

PtolemysNeedle Tue 17-Feb-15 16:08:17

We are having just pancakes for dinner, but we had a more dinner type meal for lunch than we'd usually have.

Chessie00 Tue 17-Feb-15 16:09:48

I used to think this. The first year DH suggested just pancakes for dinner I did a hmm face at him.

We now have savoury pancakes with ham/cheese/chicken/salad followed by pancakes with strawberries, banana and chocolate.

Today has been even more pancake oriented as the dc have been at my mums today and had pancakes for lunch. And I'm giving them dinner at home and am doing...yep...more pancakes.

muminhants Tue 17-Feb-15 16:10:15

We're having pancakes this evening and nothing else and we only had sandwiches for lunch. Eggs are filling.

88blueshoes Tue 17-Feb-15 16:11:08

YANBU! We always did this when I was little. If it really bothers you, maybe you can make some savoury and some sweet? But I don't think it's a big deal to just have sweet pancakes for dinner, provided you don't do that every day.

NimpyWWindowmash Tue 17-Feb-15 16:11:47

I do this all the time, not just shrove Tuesday.

It's nice.

It is full of good nutrition (egg, milk, flour) plus the sugar (not so good I guess).

With a glass of milk, lovely kids' dinner.

Sometimes I add bacon.

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 17-Feb-15 16:12:03

Just pancakes!

Not sure I can even be arsed with savoury ones...

echt Tue 17-Feb-15 16:14:25

When I was a child pancakes were always the whole meal.

This year DH made them Japanese-style, okonomiyaki. Fabulous.

purplemeggie Tue 17-Feb-15 16:14:53

We always just have pancakes. I make one nutririous one with spinach, cream cheese, smoked salmon and parmesan, and then let DS fill his boots with the lemon and sugar ones. He rarely manages more than one of those after the savoury one. And yup, we sometimes do this for supper when it's not shrove Tuesday.

SistersOfPercy Tue 17-Feb-15 16:15:34

Just pancakes.

Sometimes if we are feeling especially naughty DH and I will have American pancakes with crispy American bacon (Ocado do this and it is to die for) and sausages, smothered in maple syrup.

It's so bad but bloody hell it's divine.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 17-Feb-15 16:16:15

Just pancakes! DM always used to do this.

Purplepumpkins Tue 17-Feb-15 16:17:37

Why not it's pancake day and it sounds like a fun treat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: