Talk

Advanced search

To think my colleague was a bit snarky about baby visiting

(157 Posts)
Behindthepaintedgarden Tue 17-Feb-15 14:12:08

A woman at work had a baby recently and sent a message via one of her friends that she would be calling in with him on Friday at about 11am. One of my colleagues has just sighed and said 'Jeeze, like any of us are interested'!

AIBU to think that was a bit snarky? It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to wander over and say 'ah he's lovely. Congratulations' sad

countessmarkyabitch Tue 17-Feb-15 14:15:25

She can be snarky if she likes. I used to hate when people brought babies in to work. They weren't to know I'd had multiple miscarriages but I hated them coming in to work, its not like you can just leave.
Or maybe your colleague just doesn't like babies.

KoalaDownUnder Tue 17-Feb-15 14:17:18

Snarky and nasty. Just unnecessary.

OhFlippityBolax Tue 17-Feb-15 14:17:59

enters duplicate of countess post

kinkyfuckery Tue 17-Feb-15 14:19:36

Unnecessary, but as long as she doesn't act like that in front of the new mum, there's no harm done.

ISolemnlySwearImUptoNoGood Tue 17-Feb-15 14:20:50

Some happy souls just can't help themselves unfortunately.

SaucyJack Tue 17-Feb-15 14:22:44

It is nasty and immature- whatever your circumstances.

rinabean Tue 17-Feb-15 14:23:13

It's not nasty or immature for a woman to not care about babies.

Tisiphone Tue 17-Feb-15 14:23:57

I am unlikely to have said it aloud, in order not to trample on other people's fragrant sensitivities, but I'd almost certainly have thought it privately. Yes, it takes only 30 seconds to admire a child, and I have a child myself, but I am also well aware - and was when my beautiful boy was a newborn - that no one is any more interested in other people's babies than they are in other peoples dreams, or piles.

I have total sympathy when someone wants to stay in touch with work during the isolating horror that is maternity leave, though, which may be what is actually going on.

badtime Tue 17-Feb-15 14:24:09

It's not nasty - if she said it to the visiting mother, that would be nasty.

ApocalypseThen Tue 17-Feb-15 14:24:15

I never understood why people wanted to bring their babies into work, to be honest. Who's really interested?

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 17-Feb-15 14:24:43

It was a mean comment. If you're not interested in babies - then just ignore it or do the polite 'oh he/she is cute' and wander off.

SoonToBeMrsB Tue 17-Feb-15 14:24:50

SWNBU to not care about babies but SWBU to assume that no-one would care. My colleague had a baby a couple of weeks ago and I'm desperate for her to visit with him!

ApocalypseThen Tue 17-Feb-15 14:26:14

My colleague had a baby a couple of weeks ago and I'm desperate for her to visit with him!

Why? Can't you meet her for coffee and see the baby then?

SaucyJack Tue 17-Feb-15 14:26:53

It is nasty and immature to say it out loud Rina. That baby is a person.

GraysAnalogy Tue 17-Feb-15 14:27:04

I used to hate it when people brought their babies into work. It meant everyone stopped working whilst they all talked about how traumatic the delivery was and all the gory details, coupled with cooing and passing of baby to everyone. Cue people like me acting like they're interested and being forced to hold a baby I don't want to hold. I just don't think work is the place.

I realise the makes me sound uber miserable

Behindthepaintedgarden Tue 17-Feb-15 14:27:13

I've no problem with her not being interested in the baby (and have sometimes sighed inwardly if I'm really busy and get excitedly told that x is downstairs with new baby). I just thought her comment was a bit nasty and as if she was speaking for all of us.

NobodyLivesHere Tue 17-Feb-15 14:27:14

My ex colleagues hounded me into bringing my babies into work! Some folk like babies. Those who were interested stuck around for a chat, those who weren't made the right noises and went away.

MrsPiggie Tue 17-Feb-15 14:28:42

It's nasty and immature to say no one cares. I've got little interest in other people's children, weddings, holidays, that doesn't mean I can't be happy for them, wish them well, make the right noises. It's basic human interaction.

MrsCakesPrecognition Tue 17-Feb-15 14:28:54

Babies and work don't mix. I eventually took DD into my work place when she was 4yo, I was leaving and wanted her to see what working in London might be like. We had lunch out with my team then we went and looked at the Tower of London. It was lovely.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Feb-15 14:29:23

I'm with Grays

In fact I could have written the post myself grin

countessmarkyabitch Tue 17-Feb-15 14:29:32

Maybe she just absent mindedly spoe aloud instead of to herself, I do that all the time got me into all sorts of trouble

Doesn't, Grays, makes you sound normal. I don't really think is appropraite to be bringing babies into work. They could meet up with anyone interested somewhere locally at lunchtime.

SoonToBeMrsB Tue 17-Feb-15 14:31:22

ApocalypseThen

I work in a university where she just finished her PhD and taught our undergrad tutorials. We're not really chummy but she pops in every now and then to say hi to us and her supervisor. We got the birth announcement email and we're just hoping for a visit blush

APocketfulOfSpondulix Tue 17-Feb-15 14:31:49

I don't like it when people bring babies into work because I have zero interest in babies and I'm not good at feigning enthusiasm. But I wouldn't say anything, would probably just make myself scarce.

climbing Tue 17-Feb-15 14:33:18

I was like this before I had kids. Definitely wasn't interested and would rather they wouldn't bring their baby in. Work's not really the right environment for a baby is it?

Now I've had my own I can muster up a small amount of enthusiasm, but beyond a three second hold and a half hearted platitude I'm done really. I'd rather slope off and do something else!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: