Talk

Advanced search

To ask you what I should do with DD for next three hours?

(31 Posts)
rosepetalsoup Mon 16-Feb-15 14:36:42

I'm heavily pregnant and exhausted. It's raining here. Can anyone suggest what to do with my hyper 2 year old, including what to cook for supper for her. Am a zombie and can't think. Thanks!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 16-Feb-15 14:38:49

We're going library then swimming. At least you'd be guaranteed a sleepy child afterwards.

Patilla Mon 16-Feb-15 14:39:03

Not right now but if you get a packet of bread mix and the kneed it, she could shape into rolls for dinner in whatever design she could imagine? Maybe using raisins for eyes if animal based?

Does she like glueing? Ripped up junk mail, paper and a glue stock can keep my toddler going for ages.

Failing that there's no shame in using cbeebies a bit?

NancyRaygun Mon 16-Feb-15 14:39:05

Make pizza dough together. Then she can eat a pizza for tea that she made herself?

Leeds2 Mon 16-Feb-15 14:39:14

I would put a DVD on, and sit on the safe with her and watch it.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 16-Feb-15 14:39:33

Make pizza and get her to do the toppings.
Up till then,get your waterproofs on and walk to the shops to get the stuff.
Get her to decorate the table for tea.

NancyRaygun Mon 16-Feb-15 14:39:45

I myself have just put Frozen on

Patilla Mon 16-Feb-15 14:40:02

Oh and sausages are always a hit in our house. Bung them in the oven for twenty mins, with wedges or baked potato or oven chips and some veg or chopped up salad.

rosepetalsoup Mon 16-Feb-15 14:40:04

I like the pizza dough idea. Is that difficult?

Lilmisssunshine7 Mon 16-Feb-15 14:40:08

Stick her in the bath with shaving foam, a few cars/boats/tea set and glitter :-) eggy bread for tea!

siblingrevelryagain Mon 16-Feb-15 14:40:21

Omelette/scrambled eggs/boiled eggs? Dish of beans and cheese with toast fingers to dip in? Likewise soup?

Tv/DVD or iPad/phone games if an option.

I'd normally be advocating getting outside or doing something crafty but you need the break so use whatever you've got, it won't do any harm for one day!

twentyten Mon 16-Feb-15 14:40:43

Pictures made from glue/ pasta/ sugar etc?

Patilla Mon 16-Feb-15 14:40:50

If you have baking stuff then get her to decorate plain biscuits like digestives.

But might not help moderate energy levels if she then eats them
All!

DragonsDoHiccup Mon 16-Feb-15 14:41:05

Get her to bounce on a bed while you sit by and mumsnet? Then get her to run races round the house while you hold the finishing line (and a cuppa)?

bodiddly Mon 16-Feb-15 14:41:28

Put her a towel down on the floor and give her a bowl of soapy water and let her wash her animals/little people etc. Then let her set her cuddly toys and dolls out on floor for a teddy bear's picnic. She could then having a picky tea/dinner with them!

smearedinfood Mon 16-Feb-15 14:43:34

Give you tattoos with water paint on your legs. Gives you an excuse for bath later.

Ijustdontknowwhattodowithmysel Mon 16-Feb-15 14:43:46

I have it! I was in this position. Go into their bedroom and tell them to get all their toys out.ie on the floor and get them to bring you them one by one and you put them in a pile of the good ones and naughty ones. After a bit they do it themselves. Leave the mess.

Dinner, toast four slices of bread and give cookie cutters. Grated cheese on top and maybe sweetcorn. Voila! They've made their own pizzas

Artandco Mon 16-Feb-15 14:43:55

200g flour
100g icing sugar
200g butter
X2 egg yolks.

Get her to mix all together with hands, to make a dough ( or you do that bit). Then let her play with the dough / biscuit cutters/ make shapes. All on a tray for basic shortbread like biscuits. ( let her play with dough for as long as possible)

elvislives2012 Mon 16-Feb-15 14:45:23

Cbeebies on the telly and fish fingers in the oven! Perfect

rosepetalsoup Mon 16-Feb-15 14:48:19

Thank you everyone, you are fantastic. Currently watching The Snowman but will do one of these ideas when it stops. Ijustdontknowwhattodowithmysel yours made me really laugh, thank you.

Fillybuster Mon 16-Feb-15 14:52:38

Relax! Love the idea of toast pizzas - I was going to suggest using pita bread as a pizza base otherwise. We do that all the time when im being lazy i dont have time to make a proper dough.

OP - definitely recommend getting in a couple of bread mixes and maybe even some pre-made cookie dough (or knock some up and chuck it into the freezer when you have some energy...hah!). I normally make everything 'from scratch' but these are both a total life-saver when pg with a toddler to entertain!

Taz1212 Mon 16-Feb-15 14:56:16

Put sheets over a table and turn it into a den.

JamesAndTheGiantBanana Mon 16-Feb-15 14:57:20

Cloud dough. 8 parts flour to 1 part baby oil or vegetable/sunflower oil (add food colouring and/or lavender oil if you want to be poncy) apparently it makes a lovely soft powdery dough which is like wet sand so you can press it into moulds or crumble it up, use it to play "snow" or whatever. And it hoovers up well.

Or a toy bath as someone said. Chuck loads of toys or kitchen implements in bath, add a bit of bubble bath or glitter or even a big heap of shaving foam on a plate (shower her off afterwards though) and just supervise from the loo whilst mning and top up the water with warm if it cools off before her interest runs out.

DamselNotInHerDress Mon 16-Feb-15 15:05:41

Play dough, paints, dens, pretend cooking (random ingredients from the cupboard stirred in a pot with a wooden spoon), fold up clothes for new baby, let her buy something for her new sibling and then eat dinner out!
Or, as in my house, ds is watching Peter pan, dds are tidying their bedroom and having a disco, I am MNing! We have just got home from bowling and a visit to the waffle shop so I feel I deserve some chill out time now.
So do you, make life as easy as you can for yourself!

Purplepoodle Mon 16-Feb-15 15:08:34

A bath always wastes a load of time in our house. When I was heavily pregnant I'd jump in with ds1. He'd happily sit and play boats ect while I could just sit in the warm water.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: