Talk

Advanced search

Doing everything around thee house

(8 Posts)
hopingforamiracle Mon 16-Feb-15 13:07:38

I still live at home and pay rent. My mother works full time, her partner is an alcoholic and doesn't work and does nothing but complain, make our lives a misery and drink. I'm a student in my final year and I also struggle with depression. I'm just pissed off with doing everything. I do washing, cooking, all cleaning, dishes, hoovering, mopping. My mother gets home from work and sleeps or goes to the pub with her partner. He ocassionally scoops the dog shit up and take the dog for a walk but that is it. My mother doesn't do anything when she gets home. I ask her if she'll wash the dishes after dinner but she says she'll do them 'later' and they never get done. I'm trying to keep on top of the house, I have a huge chore list but I can't cope with it all, I just can't, it's impossible. They dump all of their stuff everywhere and I'm just pissed off with it. When I ask my mother to help a bit she always says 'but I work full time!'. Big fucking deal.

petalsandstars Mon 16-Feb-15 13:12:31

Can you get student accommodation?

aderynlas Mon 16-Feb-15 13:34:46

Can you rent a room with some fellow students. Is there anyone where you study who could just have a chat and let you know what options are available. Notice boards might have room share etc.

championnibbler Mon 16-Feb-15 16:04:15

Move out for god's sake. Pay rent somewhere else that will probably be safer, cleaner and nicer.

LineRunner Mon 16-Feb-15 16:08:58

My DD is at university.

If she did all that for me I certainly wouldn't be charging her rent.

I think you need to move out and find as cheap a houseshare as you can. Or, stop doing it all. You pay rent. Just sort your own stuff out and keep your room nice.

ilovesooty Mon 16-Feb-15 16:08:59

A no brainer. Why are you still there?

NerrSnerr Mon 16-Feb-15 16:11:05

Surely it's your choice that you're living there? Just move out. Find a house share.

Davsmum Mon 16-Feb-15 17:21:23

You can't tell them how to live in their own house. If you don't like it you need to move out. I had a mother like that and I used to do everything, but nothing would change her. She used to tell me to move out if I didn't like it.
Even if you are paying rent you can't dictate how they should live.
It's up to you how much work you do in that house. Stop doing it and then if your mother complains THEN you could try to negotiate for a better deal.
I doubt that will work though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: